Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfalls.

Default Waterfalls.

Where are they?
    If you know of a waterfall in Caithness, please would you post the location?
    I know of the one by the forss house hotel on the river there, i also know the one that goes under the bridge on the way into Lybster harbour. I know i have seen a few more in passing, but can't remember where
    I want to make a collection of photographs of all the waterfalls of Caithness
    thanks for any help you can give
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Below the cemetery at Dunbeath. Cemetery is worth a shot or 2 as well.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    Where are they?
    I want to make a collection of photographs of all the waterfalls of Caithness
    My geographical knowledge of Caithness still isn't great so I can't suggest any waterfalls - but would be interested to see the photos. Will you be putting them online?

There is a waterfall about 300m on the right handside from lybster harbour.

Last edited by Rheghead; 04-May-07 at 16:28.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default Waterfalls

Brough Harbour has one on the west side, there's the mill race at Westerdale and just over the border in Strathalladale there are the falls above the mill.
    If I remember any more will let you know.

follow the path up dunbeath strath when you come to the bridge at the black pool cross there and follow the small burn {achorn burn } for about a mile you will come across a high and very secluded water fall
    also follow the old pony track from breamore to berriedale about three miles down theres is a waterfall there

Thanks folks
    it looks like i need to get my hiking gear ready and head out for a few days lol.
    keep them coming and then i can plan a route on a map ....... caithness.org, the font of all knowledge!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

go to ulbster,you can see a bit of it on Billy Connolys world tour of scotland dvd.

Take the A836 towards Dounreay and you will soon come to the falls next to the bridge and mill at Forss. Very entertaining when the salmon are running!

Falls of Shin is not in Caithness I know but it is very beautiful all the same. Perhaps you might want a wee detour to Harrods after photographing all the Caithness falls!
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Default Water Fall

There is a small one at Ham Farm. The only others I think are the ones you have been to.

Latheron burn, about 50 yards downstream from the bridge on the A9. Quite big, or it seemed so when I was a bairn.

Is there a waterfall fall at Whaligo, or have I made that up?

Quote Originally Posted by stratman View Post
    Is there a waterfall fall at Whaligo, or have I made that up?

Nope it's definately there I have a piccie somewhere.
    Tugmistress iff you're feeling brave go down Whaligoe steps and climb right out onto the rocks at the bottom near the grass bit and round a corner on the left there's a waterfall.

Also theres usually one at the cove in Lybster. The shelligo burn runs through our land and it all comes out at the cove. How decent it is depends on the rain fall so it's not always there but hey, the numerous steps are good exercise.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

how far does water have to fall before something can be a waterfall?

I always thought the salmon pool in Thurso was a great place to visit or photograph, the drop in the water is only about 6ft but still i'd call it a waterfall, and its the whole width of the river?

There's a teeny one from my neighbour's pond when it's rained a lot so it overflows. Does that count?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    There's a teeny one from my neighbour's pond when it's rained a lot so it overflows. Does that count?
    yes it does count any type of waterfall counts, be it 6 inches or 60 foot! I will hopefully get round to photographing each and every one of them, the route is taking shape folks, so i want lots of rain this week to top them all up and next week when i am off i can have a good drive round
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

I'll keep an eye on it but we need quite a bit more rain. If it happens will send you a pic.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

There are several small falls on the upper Thurso river above Glutt some 12 miles upstream from Westerdale and getting close to its source.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I'll keep an eye on it but we need quite a bit more rain. If it happens will send you a pic.
    You could always stick the hose in badger...
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast