Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John O'Groats - Seedy.

Default John O'Groats - Seedy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4573511.stm

The new edition of Lonely Planet has described John O'Groats as "a seedy tourist trap".

Hard to disagree with that.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

I work in the 'seedy tourist trap' called John O' Groats and I'm annoyed at this description. The shops and other businesses there provide much needed seasonal employment, the views are fantastic and the people that visit are very diverse, from 'end to enders' raising money for charity, families, older folk on day trips and foreign visitors who may not come up as far as Caithness if it wasn't for John O' Groats.

What would people prefer, the craft and gift shops and friendly atmosphere or amusement arcades and yobs hanging around, now that would be seedy.

On a visit to John O'Groats one lovely summer's day. I overheard one German tourist remark to another, ' I think John O'Groats is the most beautiful place on earth.'
    I don't know if I'd go that far, but i do think to called it 'seedy' is grossly unfair. Who writes these things? The main thing that spoils it to my way of thinking is the hotel which is sadly falling into decay and what was once a beautiful and historic building is now an eyesore.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Default John O' Groats

I have sent this email to "the lonely planet" regarding their comments, as whatever they think of the area i think their comments were out of order as i have worked there too and often visitors would comment how pleasant they found the area...they had expected a mass of arcades etc like Lands End but instead found a peacful place with lots to look at.

I wrote the following :

" I am refering to the recent news stories about John o'Groats , and would like to point out that while i worked in the tourist office there never once was anyone told that it was the most northernly point, in fact it was the misconception of the visitors and end to enders, They were always informed that Dunnet Head was the most northernly and that John o' Groats was the longest distance from Lands End...hence people travelling the road for charities and such like...so i would think that maybe the lonely Planet should have asked the questions of the locals before accusing them of giving incorrect information.
    Incidently i am not a local...i am english so am also unbiased.

I love going to Groats, but simply for the view across the firth.

The last time I was there was just before Christmas and the only places open were the woolen mill shop and the tacky souvenir shop at the end of the pier. Now I would have thought that there may have been a few bob to be made by Caithness Candles in the run up to Christmas, but it was shut.

If you are happy with what Groats provides then fair enough, me I tell people it is only worth going to in order to say you have been and for the view. There is nothing there to attract anyone, and what there is tends to be artificial and false. Is there anything there that could be considered “local”? I mean you may like tartan boxes of Edinburgh rock with a sticker highlighting it was purchased in GROATS, but not me. It is tacky.

Stormblast Guest

Sadly its true

no point complaining do something about it !

I was ere last year and the amount of people who were underwhelmed was unreal

sad but true and year after year this story gets trotted out and yet nothing happens

why???

Well ther is somewhere to get a cup of tea - a few gift shops and i beleive a very good burger van currently under new management

What do you want to see there?

I think just the scenery Squidge, the shops etc are just plastic.

While I have to agree that at times the views from John O'Groats can be lovely, and you need to visit these places just so you can claim that you've been, there's not enough there to get people coming back and back again!!
    The hotel there looks bleak at best, and the cluster of shops look very folorn. The cafe is okay, but the attatched shop's stock is a one big cliche! (nessie erasers....mugs with names on....tartan travel rugs, and of course whisky and shortbread!)
    It could be so much more there....Have the hotel sponsor and host an event...brighten up the shop exteriors..encourage fishing trips....anything to get the punters in, give them a good time and then they'll want to come back!!!
    It's such a shame that such a lovely spot isn't being presented to it's full potential!!
    If it were a school report, it would read:~ C+...could do better!

Although nothing there but a beautiful view would be lovely, most tourists want more than just a great view. Personally I would like to see something like the Scottish shops in Beauly -- a great selection of nice quality Scottish goods with the emphasis on Caithness products. There is an abundance of talented people in Caithness, having a collection of their art, photography, crafts, baked goods, etc., for sale in one place would be a tourist attraction in itself. An excellent restaurant and a nice hotel would be a great addition too -- I would love to see the hotel there restored to its original condition.

Whatever happened to the seal rescue centre that they talked about building at Groats? It was supposed to be in conjunction with the hotel but I don't remember what was the comeuppance. That would have been a fantastic tourist attraction.

I have to agree with the article, looking through the eyes of a tourist. It must be a huge dissapointment to come over e Warth hill. I mean you think you have reached the end of the country and then see all of Orkney.

I think to call John O'Groats seedy is quite simply wrong. It may not hold much excitement for us locals but I quite believe that the majority of visitors especially those from abroad would be quite impressed with the views.
    The gift shops may carry some stock which could be described as tacky or whatever but it's what you can expect of any such landmark in the whole country these days. That includes over the border. When I read the title of this thread I couldn't believe it because usually the context of that word would hold a very different meaning than 'tacky' if that is what was meant by the writers of the source.
    IMHO people who bother to come all the way up here are here for the views and sights that can be seen and if they stop to buy a stick of rock and a keyring for their friends while they're here then all the better for the local economy.

I am sooooo angry!

Today at work in John O'Groats I asked loads of customers what they thought of their visit and EVERY ONE of them said they loved John O'Groats, they said the views were fantastic, the shops were what they expected and not tacky and the whole place had a friendly atmosphere. They said they would recommend a visit to family and friends and would return again.

There are lovely walks along the beach (looking out for Groatie Buckies), interesting shops, wildlife trips on the fast boat or ferry, a free museum and loads of free parking.

I wonder what this guide says about Lands End?

Well if the report was done by someone English no doubt it will be biased and highly recommend Lands End

I think saying that if the guide is by someone english it will be biased towards Lands End is a rather shallow comment.

Default John o' Groats

I spoke to someone who planned the seal / wildlife thing and was told that the council were charging extortionate prices for land rental, they also tried in Castletown , it was going to have all tanks with local sealife in etc but it was the same story there so i believe they went down south......seems the council does'nt want attractions.....too many backhanders and not enough loyalty to the area......it seems to be WHO you know not what you know up here.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    Well ther is somewhere to get a cup of tea - a few gift shops and i beleive a very good burger van currently under new management

What do you want to see there?
    I think the cafe is very poor - 2nd class cup of coffee, no windows to see the cdecidedly attractive view, feels like you're sitting in a corridor somewhere. The whole complex needs bringing into the 20th century - howz about a development like the Shin Falls Centre? There's easily more visitors to JOG than there used to be at Shin. Needs some local businessman to have a bit of insight and give it a go.

The coffee in the cafe has recently changed, they now sell Costa coffee which is a great deal better than what was for sale in there. It's an old building so alterations to make it lighter with larger windows would be difficult although Edinburgh Woollen Mill who own the shop and cafe are considering adding a conservatory to it with extra seating which would improve it and make it lighter. Having worked in there I agree that it is very dark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast