Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traps

Default Traps

For the last 2 days my cat has been missing. But this morning I went for another determined look and found it alive in a baited fox/badger flaptrap. Fortunately it wasn't any worse for its ordeal except very hungry but I have lost 2 other cats in the last 2 years. It makes me wonder if they had the same fate because I didn't find them.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Rheghead, are those type of traps legal? I would inform the police either way, and I hope the cat is not too badly injured.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Angry

I don't know, it is a 4 foot long and 12 inches square cage with a baited trapping mechanism at the far end which is linked to the trapdoor end. It 'humanely' captures the animal alive, the only thing that is illegal, possibly, is the frequency with which the trap is inspected to prevent starvation suffering. My moggy was there for 2 days without anyone looking, that I know
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Apr-07 at 09:52.

not illeagal, but as you say they should be checked daily, a quiet word with whoever the traps land is on should work.

Was it like this - http://www.solwayfeeders.com/Product...st1.asp?cat=15

Looks like the trap setter is not reading the rules...
    http://www.basc.org.uk/content/foxsnarepractice

I hope you destroyed the trap....
    Last edited by MadPict; 18-Apr-07 at 11:59.

I'm very pleased indeed that you found your cat alive and well - hope you manage to track down whoever set the trap and can have a word with them

I'd be interested to know how you figured out the cat had been in the trap for two days?

Best way to prevent the cat from getting trapped is to keep it in the house, that way all the wild birds and animals will also be safe.
    The Big Man

I expect the fact that it did not return home for food for two days may be a good indication - that and it was hungry when found.

If the trap is not checked at least twice a day as recommended by the BASC then the chances are his other cats may have suffered a similar fate...

I'm sure Rheghead will answer your questions himself though....

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    I expect the fact that it did not return home for food for two days may be a good indication - that and it was hungry when found.

If the trap is not checked at least twice a day as recommended by the BASC then the chances are his other cats may have suffered a similar fate...

I'm sure Rheghead will answer your questions himself though....
    lots of ifs buts and maybes there mad pict, any snare or trap should be checked at LEAST twice a day, but be carefull about making statements when you have nothing to back them up?

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    lots of ifs buts and maybes there mad pict, any snare or trap should be checked at LEAST twice a day, but be carefull about making statements when you have nothing to back them up?

??? I'm confused ??? What part of what Madpict wrote is not backed up?
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

Leave a note, telling whoever set the trap that you believe that they are not checking the trap as often as they should be !

Maybe give them a bit of a scare and prompt them to check it more frequently !

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    ??? I'm confused ??? What part of what Madpict wrote is not backed up?
    just because a cat didnt come home for two days doesnt mean it was in the trap, it could have gone in 10 mins before it was found, lots of jumping to conclusions?

If the cat's habits are known to the owner and it doesn't normally disappear like that then I think it is perfectly reasonable for the owner to assume that the cat was curious when it went out and ended up stuck there for 2 days. I cannot believe such a simple warning from someone can become such a snipey post. If I was in the area I would certainly like to be warned so that should my cat go missing which she never has so far in 11 years I would have an idea of where to look for her.

Maybe so, maybe it was in there for two days, a little note would give them a heads up some one else knows, and wait and see how long the note is there before it is picked up.

Sign the note Mr Fox !!

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    Err that is why I underlined "may" - to emphasise the fact that it was a possibility. If I said "yes, thats what happened" then I could understand your point. But I didn't.

I have owned cats and I have had cats go missing for days - one was found trapped under a nearby shed after being chased there by a dog. That took two days to find and as with all our cats they used to be able to be 'called in'.

If I was talking as a non cat owner maybe you might be able to pick holes in my post. But I wasn't.

Read my post again....

Madpict. Thank you for that link.

The trap was exactly like the foxtrap in your link, a brand new one by the look of it.

I had my suspicions because of my neighbour's reputation/activities. A burn separates our properties but due to the lack of rain, the burn was easily crossable.

I will put a note on the trap and ask the trapper to place it further away from my house and point out that he isn't checking his traps frequently enough, I am sure he will. Failure to comply will prove that strange things do happen in isolated areas.

My puss isn't quite himself yet but there isn't anything physically wrong, bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigman View Post
    I'd be interested to know how you figured out the cat had been in the trap for two days?

Best way to prevent the cat from getting trapped is to keep it in the house, that way all the wild birds and animals will also be safe.

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day!!!!
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Madpict. Thank you for that link.

The trap was exactly like the foxtrap in your link, a brand new one by the look of it.

I had my suspicions because of my neighbour's reputation/activities. A burn separates our properties but due to the lack of rain, the burn was easily crossable.

I will put a note on the trap and ask the trapper to place it further away from my house and point out that he isn't checking his traps frequently enough, I am sure he will. Failure to comply will prove that strange things do happen in isolated areas.

My puss isn't quite himself yet but there isn't anything physically wrong, bless him.
    I'm so glad to hear you found your cat and he wasn't injured...and I do hope this won't happen again to your cat or anybody else's.
    At least if he does go missing again, you would know to check the trap first, but hopefully the trap owner will comply with your request to make his own daily checks.

Why do you hope he destroyed the trap? Are you suggesting that causing criminal damage is ok? Do you realise that if the trap is destroyed you are leaving yourself wide open to investigation? I think you should take a look at what you've posted and ask yourself if its whats expected of a supposedly responsible person.

Default Grrrrrrr

I am gobsmacked by this...the trap might be legal but the fact that it can catch other that what was intended makes me real mad!
    I also pose the question, what was it hoping to trap and what was it baited with?
    Otters, foxes, badgers(no sure if you have 'em that far north.), whatever it's disgraceful.
    So who's the local gamekeeper / ghillie? I'd be asking a few questions and calling in The Scottish Wildlife Protection Society.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast