Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wick Roundabout

Default Wick Roundabout

I had cheek from a woman in a red car behind me at the roundabout tooting and telling me to move.I was coming from Bridge Street to go straight ahead and waiting for cars coming down from the station. She was obviously unaware that you give right of way to traffic to your right. at the same time a grey car coming up from the harbour to turn left up the cliff thought he had right of way.Will people ever learn how to drive round a roundabout!!!

Hi u should give way 2 cars from your RIGHT on the ROUNDABOUT Not coming down station road

Erm isn't that what fran just said

Erm no it isn't

You only give way to traffic on the right if they are actually ON the roundabout not if they are arriving at it. So sitting letting everyone on your right that is coming down from the station go is actually breaking the highway code.

I think that was what fran meant. She said it that way so you would know which side the traffic was on.

Fran said
    I was coming from Bridge Street to go straight ahead and waiting for cars coming down from the station
    You do not wait for cars not yet on the roundabout .

I know its sometimes difficult to get out because of the speed some idiots enter the roundabout. It is a give way not a given right

Every time I have used the roundabouts in Wick most people have no idea what the Priorities are and will sit letting traffic come down from the hospital or station even when they have right of way.

Fran Im not saying you are guilty of this but its just the way you have typed it

What happens if four cars all arrive at the roundabout at the same time? Who has the right of way then? Just asking because it happened to me. I sat and waited for what seemed to be forever, and eventually took the inititive and moved off, only to be hooted at by the person on my right, who obviously had the same idea!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

when people arrive at the same time no one has right away.. and i know that cause just passed the threory and its on the test.. *laughs* its funny so darn hard to pass the test but some of the people driving could sure do with retaking it!

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    What happens if four cars all arrive at the roundabout at the same time? Who has the right of way then? Just asking because it happened to me. I sat and waited for what seemed to be forever, and eventually took the inititive and moved off, only to be hooted at by the person on my right, who obviously had the same idea!
    It then comes down to driver courtesy.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Ladies and gentlemen you only have one round about in wick whats your problem lol....

There are 2 Eddie

garrygb Guest

If four cars all arrive at the roundabout at the same time, it dosent matter about 3 of them you are only interested in the one on the roundabout coming from your right. If it's clear, GO.

Well dali that just goes to show when the last time i visited wick.On a roundabout you give way to the person on the right and you drive onto the roundabout when safe to do so.if everyone approaches at the same time u go if safe to do so.We have roundabout in aberdeen called the hadington roundabout and at rush hour u have to force your way on thats how busy it is.

My question katarina is what is worse for someone to go on a roundabout incorrecty by mistake which all drivers make errors from time to time which part of human nature or for some idiot to toot there horn in rage.
    Point im trying to make is when someone toots its offencive whether whos right or wrong.If on the other hand the person toots and waves to let you know hes there then its not offensive.Why not everyone try next time when u toot someone wave to them straight after u toot them and see the different response u get?

Quote Originally Posted by garrygb
    If four cars all arrive at the roundabout at the same time, it dosent matter about 3 of them you are only interested in the one on the roundabout coming from your right. If it's clear, GO.

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by garrygb
    If all four cars arrive at the same time, then it isn't clear on your right. the car on your right has stopped for the car on its right - or has it? Maybe Dr szin could formulate another puzzle out of this one.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

eddie i would say there are worse roundabouts in aberdeen than the hadington - like the garthdee one, hadington peachy compared to it!!

Take a driver from the busy south and put them in Caithness then driving is a dream. Put a Caithness driver into the busy south then they'll end up not going there again cos they usually won't cope.

That is a sweeping statement but my point is that the standard of driving up here is pretty diabolical considering the amount of traffic we have got to put up with.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Totally agree Rheghead, the fact that someone has started a debate on how to use a roundabout proves this. My biggest annoyances are:

* Indicators, every car has them and they are easy to use, the difference they make to traffic flow can be astounding.

* Letting traffic pass for no reason, courtesy is one thing, but holding up a line of traffic to let the opposite carriageway pass is really annoying.

* How big is your car? The number of people that stop to let you pass (holding up their lane) or freak out when you drive past them is amazing. Most of the main roads in wick are wide enough for a parked car and 2 other cars passing at the same point, some even wide enough for 2 parked cars, eg outside Richards Garage and the bakers.

* People that drive around the harbour (and other similar areas) at 10 mph, looking at the boaties, you are supposed to be driving not sightseeing. If you want to have a look, get out your car.

* The "parking" on Macarthur Street, Wick.

I could go on, but even typing this is getting my goat up.
    .::Zael::.

"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code."

Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos
    You only give way to traffic on the right if they are actually ON the roundabout not if they are arriving at it. So sitting letting everyone on your right that is coming down from the station go is actually breaking the highway code.
    Curiously, the Highway Code is a little ambiguous on this:

Quote Originally Posted by The Highway Code
    When reaching the roundabout you should
    • give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
    It doesn't say explicitly that you should only give way to traffic coming from the right if it's already on the roundabout, but I suspect that's what it means. In practice though, if there's a steady stream of traffic coming from the right, then it's very difficult to get onto the roundabout, and there isn't much difference between the two cases.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina
    If all four cars arrive at the same time, then it isn't clear on your right. the car on your right has stopped for the car on its right - or has it? Maybe Dr szin could formulate another puzzle out of this one.
    I'll think about it!

For junctions that aren't overly busy, I like the North American four-way-stop. This prevents the junction being dominated by traffic coming from a single direction. However, as the website says, "the fact that the four way stop system works so well, with so few accidents, is a very good illustration of the difference between driving in the USA/Canada and in the UK." Indeed it is. Drivers in (most parts of) the US and Canada are much more polite than UK drivers. We should learn lessons from them.

Smee2 Guest

smee policy at roundabouts whether it be up here or in a major city:

Get on first, ignore everybody, never deviate from the lane you want to be in, pick your exit and get off! simple.

Sitting waiting for traffic coming on your right only annoys the drivers behind you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast