Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should this 42 stone woman get help from the nhs

Default should this 42 stone woman get help from the nhs

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032007/397/woman-weighing-42st-die-0.htm

as thread asks. she has already had some help 4 years ago that the nice tax payer paid for. and she admits to still snacking on take-aways and unhealthy food every day. so should the tax payer yet again pay for soemone to recieve help from the nhs when she isnt even helping herself.

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr View Post

as thread asks. she has already had some help 4 years ago that the nice tax payer paid for. and she admits to still snacking on take-aways and unhealthy food every day. so should the tax payer yet again pay for soemone to recieve help from the nhs when she isnt even helping herself.
    Not if she's alreday had help at the tax payers expense.

Do they not monitor and council people after they have these kind of operations or do they just leave people to go back to their old ways?
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

If she is refusing psychiatric help then what exactly are they supposed to do with her?

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    If she is refusing psychiatric help then what exactly are they supposed to do with her?

exactly she doesnt want help i dont think. if she did she would take the psychiatric help. she is may be jumping on the band wagon from last weeks, obese kids stories that filled the news and papers, and blaming the nhs for not helping. but why should the nhs and tax payer help someone that has got into the situation they are in. the nhs and the tax payer are not to blame.

Is she any different that George Best? or smokers? or alcoholics?

i did ask for a mummy tuck when they were delivering tom, but they told me it cost extra
    http://itqueries.com/

she is may be jumping on the band wagon from last weeks, obese kids stories that filled the news and papers.
    That was a crying shame seeing those poor kids put on show for the public as if they wont have a hard enough time in school and life in general.

Surely whoever is doing the shopping and providing her with food should take some of the blame. They are nown as "feeders" and it is a form of abuse.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

seems like the NHS are being brutally realistic with her.

Not perhaps before time - if the NHS don't help her she'll over-eat herself into a slightly earlier grave. Unless she loses half her bodyweight it'll only be a question of a few years difference. She doesn't appear to care and that's a shame.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

My sympathies go to the woman and her friends and family as she may suffer from a medical condition which means she constantly feels hungry, or she may as claimed be suffering emotionally and eat for comfort. Either way, in one sense it's not her fault. The cure ultimately however is in her hands. If she doesn't stop eating too much and switch to serious dieting then she'll die.

She's in a catch-22 situation but I think sooner or later - the NHS have to stop throwing vast sums of money away and spend it saving those people they CAN help.

Her husband buys take-aways for her so he is largely to blame.... she wants private nursing care in a private hospital,which she has had and lost several stone but once discharged instead of continuing diet she went back to old eating pattern ,if they spent less money on unhealthy food they could pay for her nursing care, her local authority have said they will give support through psychiatric care but she has refused that, she wants is thousands of pounds of our tax money to cushion her lifestyle, spend the money on helping the kids if she wont help herself why should we
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

There was an odd news item this morning about the problem of obese mothers giving birth - apparently they are often too heavy for the hospital equipment, which means they must be pretty big. What amazed me was that they said consultants are too embarrassed to talk to them about it. What kind of consultants are these? Why are they embarrassed? Obesity is a dangerous physical state, particularly for pregnant mothers. It's the consultants' duty to warn them and talk about it.

Do sometimes wonder why the NHS should be spending so much money - our money - on people who simply refuse to help themselves. At the moment it seems they can only refuse treatment, say, an operation would be life-threatening because the patient smokes or is grossly overweight. But then where would they draw the line? I can see all kinds of ethical problems. Does make me angry though when so many people are genuinely suffering through no fault of their own and have to wait while so many who can't be bothered to watch their health get treatment.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    There was an odd news item this morning about the problem of obese mothers giving birth - apparently they are often too heavy for the hospital equipment, ....
    I thought it was that the fat obstructed the heartbeat or sight of the baby making it harder to pick up any problems with the unborn child. That was certainly the angle they made an issue of on the news tonight.

One woman who lost her child was told that the problems may have been noticed if she had been thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    Surely whoever is doing the shopping and providing her with food should take some of the blame. They are nown as "feeders" and it is a form of abuse.
    They like their women big apparently.

i am gonna have to desagree with some and agree with others.....I think no matter what the situation every human, should be entitled to medical treatment...How do some holiday makers think if they go on holiday have an accident and then find it will cost them dearly, they would want to be treated... Although i do think she and her family could make more of an effort........But i think of the baby and it should be allowdto live no matter who is paying for it.....

This woman sure needs help of some kind, sure it would seem that she is a glutton, i myself am about one and a half stone over weight and im finding it hard to slim down so i cant imagine what she must be going through. i dont suppose that she wants to be trapped in a body like that[ albet of her own doing] but is the nhs to stop treating alchoholics,drug addicts. other people who through no fault of their own are insane. personally i think that she aught to get all the help she needs. that is my personal view. if some one wants to be helped. then lets give them the help they need to try and get their life back on track. looks like as if she doe,s succeed in losing the weight she needs to ,there is going to be some amount of surgery to get rid of the surplus folds of fat. i sincerly hope she manages it .

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Is she any different that George Best? or smokers? or alcoholics?
    Exactly.... the NHS is for everyone.

If her condition is causing her medical problems and/or shortening her life then she has as much right to treatment on the NHS as anybody else.

The NHS was not set up to pass Moral Judgement on anybody and, despite the recent trend of the Department of Health and certain parts of the Health Service, they should not be doing so.

There are many medical conditions which are as a result of od so called "life-style choices" some of which I would not mention on this board.
    Once you start down that road, where do you stop? "I don't like your morals so I'm going to condemn you to die!"

Perhaps we should just go back to executing people who do not conform to our standards because refusing to give them Medical Treatment is just the same only less visible!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Default Weight problem

The NHS is not refusing help - she has refused offer of help, a psychiatric hospital. They deal with eating problems so why does she not accept that is where she should go - what is so different with her that she considers she should be treated differently to anybody else with eating problems be it anorexia, bulimia, overeating, compulsive eating, comfort eating.
    Now we are in a situation where the doctor says psychiatric hospital, the patient says "no", what is the doctor meant to do?
    If you have a broken arm go to doctor, says cast on arm for six weeks, the patient does not say no I have a broken leg I must have my leg in a cast - what is the difference?
    The patient is refusing treatment it is up to her - would the doctor treating the broken arm plaster your leg instead?
    If she wants to pay privately for treatment she considers will work let her.
    Why should the NHS pay for what she wants and is not considered necessary medically?

Agree with Pat. Obviously the NHS is there for everyone but surely there has to be some degree of co-operation. If a patient is mentally unable to help themselves, e.g. by diet or stopping smoking, they should at least accept psychiatric help or money is simply wasted. If the NHS budget was limitless I suppose there would be no problem but I have seen too many people wait years in pain for operations they desperately need and who are doing everything possible to co-operate. Everyone has a right to treatment but too often now people demand rights without responsibility.

BTW henry, the news report I heard (several times) definitely stated that many women were too heavy for the equipment, not that they were too fat, which indicates collapsing beds or trolleys maybe? I know heavy and fat go together but the word used indicated weight rather than obstruction. You obviously heard a different report presenting an equally serious angle.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Tape up her mouth would be a good start lol (only joking)

Based on the TV interviews I have seen she and her husband don't appear to be doing much to help the situation. He could cut down on the rubbish food he gives her in exchange for more health food, fruit, veg, etc. She has 4 young children, surely that would be incentive enough for anyone to turn their life around?

She's too big at the moment for a surgeon to do anything with so I would imagine physiciatric help is all that is open to her, but someone said she is refusing it.......! She is probably hoping for another stint in the Priory at £5000 a week......In my opinion that's a disgusting use of tax payers money.

On the other side of the coin we have the guy on the news last week that the NHS built a special room for his dialysis treatment because he was so abusive to staff, etc........

I'm glad this family can afford all the takeaways, etc.....don't know if we could and we work full time (don't think they do)!

Unfortunately, if she doesn't want to help herself, no one else can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast