Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pope

Default The Pope

I don't belong to any organized religion, but I do believe the world has lost a good person.

Default the pope

Yeah,the end of era for his people

Default Re: The Pope

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass
    I don't belong to any organized religion, but I do believe the world has lost a good person.
    I agree totally with your sentiments, I am of the same ilk as yourself, but it does not stop me thinking he was a good man and the world will be a sorrier place now

Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

He will be one hard act to follow, a great loss for the catholic population and the world and although I am not religious I am glad that his suffering is over........ it will need to be a special person to follow him.
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

This good person has insisted that condoms should not be used to prevent the spread of AIDS.

Religion, directly or indirectly, is responsible for most of the worlds wars, unrest and terrorism. Good man or not, I cannot condone the bigotry he represented!

can you not just for once look at the good things some one has done and not the bad?
    umm not using condoms to spread aids? people shouldnt bed hop as it is.. and there would be a lot less std's if they didnt... not that in this world it will ever come to that.. where sexual relations is a given.. and the norm wheras chasity i sconsidered weird!
    as far as wars.. religion is used as an exscuse.. how many kings and rulers have started wars.. ?? because they were greedy or just high handed enough to think they were just and right.. you can not blame everything on religion..

pepples Guest

brandy, i do not agree with you on your last comment, most wars are not started through religion infact nearly all wars before the first world war were about conquest and expansion of territories the fact that conquering armies took their religion with them would have been essential to their way of life. as for the comment someone made earlier on about the pope condoning bigotry i dont think so the pope is sworn in on the ideas of the ten comandments and i cant really remember sunday school that well but i'm sure being a bigot to thy neighbours wasn't one of them. just because the pope was used as a symbol by yobs doesn't mean he has anything to do with it, by the same token would you say david beckham was gay because he is considered a gay icon.
    people are allowed opinions but if they are not well informed about them they shouldn't speak.

Default The Pope

Come, come now. Surely this is not the time for such discussions!
    Many people have lost a loved one today and should be allowed a quiet time
    in which to grieve.

I think a little respect for others is needed here.
    SD

Quote Originally Posted by kenimac1
    Religion, directly or indirectly, is responsible for most of the worlds wars, unrest and terrorism. Good man or not, I cannot condone the bigotry he represented!
    I'm wondering who the bigot is here?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Pope John Paul II was undoubtedly a great man and so, I think, was Mohamed the prophet. Unfortunately a great many of their adherents are not and are amongst the most bigoted and biased people around. They have no qualms in expressing their bigotry and bias in the most violent and extreme ways. Having no great religions and religous leaders would remove a lot of violence. OK, it's a very simplistic view but to an old man a very sensible one. So I can't condone any man having such unquestioning influence over the views of billions of people.

He can be respected as being a man who found his way to the very top of his chosen profession, through hard work and dilligence.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Some of you ought to know better. The Pope died yesterday, and all some of you can do is complain about his opinions and those of many Catholics all over the world.

Scotsboy, I agree with you there. He kept going right to the end, he kept fighting, and had I been in his position I'd probably have doubted God's existence and whether or not I was going to meet Him.

I hope that whatever is beyond this life treats him well, if indeed there is anything.

sorry i may have come across wrong i was angry at a post that has now been deleted.. im not at all saying religion is the cause of all wars just the opposite.. i was upset about the pope being badmouthed.. and was not very clear in what i said.. but it was in defence not against!

im very sad about his passing.. he was a wonderful man who did a lot of wonderful things and helped a lot of people..
    sorry if i gave the wrong impression on what i was trying to get out..
    i am a lot calmer now

I don't think you came across wrong, Brandy. Some one has just not bothered to read your post properly. I do not think you have any need to appologise.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by doreenhedgehog
    This good person has insisted that condoms should not be used to prevent the spread of AIDS.
    Is it fishing season already?

Default Re: The Pope

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Darlings
    Come, come now. Surely this is not the time for such discussions!
    Many people have lost a loved one today and should be allowed a quiet time
    in which to grieve.

I think a little respect for others is needed here.
    SD
    Err - how is this infringing on their "quiet time"?

Im not exactly sure how you can have quiet time on a messageboard, Church perhaps but not on a discussion board.

I dont agree with a lot of what he and the Catholic Church stood for, maybe when you are having 'quiet time' you can maybe consider the people in Africa who have died of aids through not using contraception as told by the CC, also if you havent heard of the Magdalene Laundries have a look on google, you will be shocked. Not to mention the many cases of child abuse that the catholic church simply ignored.

Having said all that, I do not like seeing anyone suffer the way JPII did and no matter what I've said above he did a lot for peace around the world and there will be a huge void to fill now he has sadly passed away.

I totally agree with Alexander. however, the pope stood for what he passionately believed in, and if that belief was judged to be misguided by those of another religeon, that does not make him any less of a great and good man. To thine own self be true.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

ironic_clans Guest

sigh! I guess i picked the wrong weekend for a romantic break to Rome then!...

I wonder how long it'll take to get from the airport to the hotel....

knew i should have booked that beach holiday at Reiss.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast