Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy currency again

Default Indy currency again

N Sturgeon, despite being told unequivically now by a number of people that aught to know, that it is unlikely the UK would enter into a currency union with an indy Scotland, still insists that the option will be negotiated.

Is she deaf? As far as I can fathom, there is no plan B.

No link, there was an interview on Sunday Politics Scotland.

Aye I saw that too, do you think she plays poker.?
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Its the blinkers that the SNP have on in this matter that deeply concerns me. We can't be expected to vote for something, and only then find out what the terms of it are going to be. Currency is a major issue, and one that cannot just be deferred until "after negotiation". Its too late by then, the vote has been cast.

There are an increasing number of areas where the dogmatism of the SNP is both astounding and concerning. Without changing the topic or bringing in any personal agenda's, the example of a recent matter that the SNP went to public consultation on shows how undemocratic they really are. The public consultation returned 87% of respondents against the proposals, and the Association of Scottish Police Superintendants has expressed its serious doubts over the viability of the proposals, and of Police Scotlands resources to implement them. But yet, the SNP are continuing with their introduction anyway.

Without digressing into the actual proposal, its that level of arrogance and blinkered dogma that gives me serious concerns - Not just about independence, but the SNP in general. The more and more I hear, the more it appears that we are heading for a dictator state. Not the "freedom!" that William Wallace yelled with a red hot poker in places unmentionable....

The EU is working towards a highly undemocratic statist superstate, of which, under current SNP proposals, an 'indy' Scotland will join. To my mind this brings two interesting negotiations, the negotiation into the EU (I would assume they would push the Euro as a primary factor) and the negotiation with the UK for currency.

In either case, it seems the SNP are willing to negotiate a key part of independent sovereignty into someone else' hands. Like a poor version of devo' max.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    N Sturgeon, despite being told unequivically now by a number of people that aught to know, that it is unlikely the UK would enter into a currency union with an indy Scotland, still insists that the option will be negotiated.

Is she deaf? As far as I can fathom, there is no plan B.

No link, there was an interview on Sunday Politics Scotland.
    So unlikely means definitely no now, does it? In the end, if the vote is YES, the rUK will do what is the most sensible thing for the rUK...as it will in all things. Their current soundbites which tell us we can't do this, we won't get to do that and we are all doomed if we unplug from the UK teat...is simply pouting and footstamping. If there is a Yes vote..I guess we will be surprised at how different the actuality will be compared to the scaremongering and huffing soundbites to which we are currently being subjected.

Personally.....I'm hoping that by March 2016 we have plans set out for our own currency.....and a party standing for election in May 2016 which will implement them.....but who knows what will happen........not me....or you or anybody in the UK Parliament...many of whom are "unlikely" to be returning to Government after the 2015 election anyway.

Did you notice, btw...that two small countries Darling said last week were bust......have pushed the UK down from 13th to 16th in the Legatum Prosperity Index?

I would suggest adopting the Leaf at currency but due the lack of proper trees in the north it would concentrate wealth in the Central Belt so maybe the Pine Needle would be a better bet...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    So unlikely means definitely no now, does it? In the end, if the vote is YES, the rUK will do what is the most sensible thing for the rUK...as it will in all things. Their current soundbites which tell us we can't do this, we won't get to do that and we are all doomed if we unplug from the UK teat...is simply pouting and footstamping. If there is a Yes vote..I guess we will be surprised at how different the actuality will be compared to the scaremongering and huffing soundbites to which we are currently being subjected.

Personally.....I'm hoping that by March 2016 we have plans set out for our own currency.....and a party standing for election in May 2016 which will implement them.....but who knows what will happen........not me....or you or anybody in the UK Parliament...many of whom are "unlikely" to be returning to Government after the 2015 election anyway.

Did you notice, btw...that two small countries Darling said last week were bust......have pushed the UK down from 13th to 16th in the Legatum Prosperity Index?
    That is the equivilent of what she is doing. Sticking your fingers in ears and going La La La La....

Frankly, I couldn't care less. The more the SNP get in a fankle the better. Just more nails in the indy coffin.

Default Currency

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    I would suggest adopting the Leaf at currency but due the lack of proper trees in the north it would concentrate wealth in the Central Belt so maybe the Pine Needle would be a better bet...
    I have from a good source learned that the currency will be the Salmon(d) with 100 wee Ecks to the Salmon(d) 100 Salmon(d) will equal a sturgen. 100 strurgen will be called a windfarm

It is not up to Westminster whether Scotland uses the pound or not. We can choose to use it if we want, with or without the "approval" or even the involvement of the Westminster Government. Sterling is a fully tradeable currency. ANYONE can use it.

The SNP are offering an arrangement where the UK can work with an Independent Scotland which would be beneficial to both parties, but they dont HAVE to. I actually think that Scotland should have its own currency - agreeing with the Green party on this.

The SNP want to keep the pound, ireland kept the pound, Hong kong uses the dollar without any input from the US, if Westminster cant or wont enter into a currency union then the SNP can still use the pound. I hope they wont, i hope that Scotland chooses its own currency - i think it would be better economically. But the thing is, we can choose to vote for the party which has the currency option which we choose, if thats what is important to us.

There are plenty of articles written by supporters of both sides as well as articles written by independent economists. If this is an issue which is vital for you to understand then do some research. Look it up, read around the subject, talk to representatives of both YES Scotland and Better Together. You can email both organisations and you will get a reply. Speak to Green Party members, SDA and SSP members and Labour for Independence members: talk to the Scottish Labour Party, the Lib Dems and the Scottish tories. Find out for yourself.

Using the pound means you have to acccept that the BoE is lender of last resort which curtails a countries ability to do as it wishes with regard to taxation etc. This would seem to be at odds with wanting to be independent, it isn't the usage of the currency itself that's the problem its the conditions that come along with it. If an independent Scotland wanted to raise taxes and interest rates whilst going on a spending spree, or for that fact any other major financial decision, it would then find that the Pound would severely curtail its ability to do as it wishes as the BoE would start demanding that it kept its economic decisions in parity with the Uks so as not to destabilise the Pound.

Regarding currency in an Independent Scotland, a plan B will not be required. Its in the rest of the UK's interest to have an Independent Scotland use the pound, obviously.

Regarding anything to do with "Independence" the point is moot, it's not going to happen.

What a waste of time, money & emotions from all involved in the greatest of non debates.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Regarding currency in an Independent Scotland, a plan B will not be required. Its in the rest of the UK's interest to have an Independent Scotland use the pound, obviously.
    And you base that statement on ?? Or is your obviously a universal obvious which seems to miss all the relevant information and other people's version of obvious !

Its all about Salmond wanting to go down in history as the first President of indy Scotland, Why not ask all the Scots in England what they think, after all there are more of us their, than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Regarding anything to do with "Independence" the point is moot, it's not going to happen.What a waste of time, money & emotions from all involved in the greatest of non debates.
    It is a debate worth having whether we get it or not. You may think its a non debate but there are people energised about politics in a way they havent been before. Young people, who have never voted before getting involved, talking about the issues, arguing about the sort of future they want to see. We have people manning stands in the street who have never campaigned before, talking to strangers about politics. We have passion and interest, debates happening, REAL people who arent politicians galvanised into action on both sides of the debate. Thats not the sign of a non debate. Whatever side you are on, whoever wins or loses, i hope political engagement in Scotland will keep the sense of possibility that this debate is encouraging.

So people arguing is a good thing I'd prefer sensible debate !
    Lowering the voting age is just a cynical ploy to get votes it smacks of opportunism.
    If sensible debate was going on it would be fine but I see a lot of name calling and facts & figures being skewed .
    If Scotland does get independence what's to stop it sliding back to the internicine warfare that troubled it for so long before union the history of Scotland isn't bathed in Braveheart courage more centuries of squabbling and warfare with petty recriminations.Already there are rumblings from the Islands about how they want to do things,the north doesn't like all the power being gathered down south and so it goes on and on. At best it will be a close call hardly the resounding vote of confidence you'd want and will then lead to more simmering anger from one side or the other.
    Last edited by RagnarRocks; 26-Nov-13 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarRocks View Post
    So people arguing is a good thing I'd prefer sensible debate !
    Arguing is good - we need a bit or arguing and debate and passion absolutely

Lowering the voting age is just a cynical ploy to get votes it smacks of opportunism.
    Hardly - the SNP have had the policy in their manifestos to lower the voting age since the late 80s. It was a policy that Nicola Sturgeon championed when she was their youth spokesperson. It has been consistent in their election information for many years - many years BEFORE there was the remotest chance that they might get to lead a majority government - before even there was a Scottish parliament. If its opportunism then someone has a cristal ball. If you add to that the fact that most commentators believe that the 16/17 year olds are likely to vote NO it suggests it would have been a "cynical ploy" to have conveniently forgotten about that policy at the point they were drawing up the Edinburgh Agreement. This would have been easy to do as the Westminster government didnt want the franchise extended.

If sensible debate was going on it would be fine but I see a lot of name calling and facts & figures being skewed
    If you attend some of the many meetings that are going on - you will see sensible debate. If you only do online stuff like here then you will see name calling. Facts and figures are rarely deliberately lied about - that is the reserve of Ian Duncan Smith and the DWP who cant tell the truth about anything it seems - but I digress. Figures can and are interpreted differently. There is only one truth about the Economy and Independence to date and that is that In an Independent Scotland money raised in Scotland would be spent on Scottish priorities decided at the ballot box by Scottish voters and implemented by a Scottish Parliament in a way that doesnt happen now.

If Scotland does get independence what's to stop it sliding back to the internicine warfare that troubled it for so long before union the history of Scotland isn't bathed in Braveheart courage more centuries of squabbling and warfare with petty recriminations.
    Are you really saying that Scotland has learned nothing in three hundred years? Are you really saying that the society we have today is the same as that we had 300/400 even 700 years ago? I dont think you really believe that. We are a modern country and the plans so far are for us to be forward looking, outward reaching modern democracy. That is what the YES campaign is about. How we get there depends on the politicians - SNP, SDA, SSP,Green and also Lib dems, tories and labour parties because after a YES vote these parties would be involved in the negotiations and the campaigning for the first parliament of an Independent Scotland. As for Braveheart...... well the only place I ever see Bravehehart used as a reference in the Independence Debate is by those opposing Independence . It factors not one iota in the YES campaign and again - Im sure you know that.

Already there are rumblings from the Islands about how they want to do things,the north doesn't like all the power being gathered down south and so it goes on and on.
    Good!!!! People's grumblings are what holds our politicians to account. Lobbying, pressure groups diversity of opinions and wanting to do things differently is vital in a fully functioning democracy. You were only recently talking about a swiss style form of democracy where people's views are heard. I dont want a country where no one disagrees, where the policies that are decided for our country take no notice of the needs of different parts of the country. in an Independent Scotland the politicians will be more accountable to the Scottish Electorate than they the Westminster politicians are - simply because of their proximity and the percentages of the vote that the populations in different parts of Scotland make up.

At best it will be a close call hardly the resounding vote of confidence you'd want and will then lead to more simmering anger from one side or the other.
    And that will be the job of those in power to resolve but resolve it will. This is not a violent revolution. There is no war, there have been no bombs, no ethnic cleansing, no imprisonment of those with differing views - we should ALL be very proud of that whichever side of the debate we stand on. This is not a Referendum based on nationality it is inclusive and you and everyone who thinks like you - that independence is not for them - should be really proud they are getting the chance to vote NO, that the decision is to be a democratic one, decided by the people of Scotland in the way it SHOULD be - at the ballot box.

Its EXCITING - cant you feel it?????
    Last edited by squidge; 26-Nov-13 at 10:36.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Its EXCITING - cant you feel it?????
    Even bigger yawn Squidge
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Well Golach Yawn it may be for OLD people like you. You might want to stick with your slippers and telly mate. Me??? lol Im a young thing! I have a voice and a passion for fairness and equality and compassion and Im excited!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast