Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Skyscraper melts Jaguar car

Default Skyscraper melts Jaguar car

A new London skyscraper dubbed the "Walkie Talkie" has been blamed for reflecting light which melted parts of a car parked on a nearby street.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23930675

Last edited by Kodiak; 02-Sep-13 at 20:11.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I believe a bus load of Caithnessians are on their way down to get a tan. :-)

Says more about car construction than the building to me.

It's just as well it wasn't a Renault Twizy, it would have completely melted. It reminds me of a pic I've seen on the web of an ice cream van that's melted on an extremely hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Says more about car construction than the building to me.
    The building in question has been constructed like a giant concave mirror which has resulted in the concentration of heat and light to a small area of a nearby road. This has been made worse by the ‘wrong’ kind of sunshine the south east has been enjoying recently. Elementary science any school pupil will recognise.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I do know that a few years ago in Toronto a business sucessfully pursued a claim against the designiers/occupiers of a neighbouring office block because the reflected sunlight from their new building had resulted in increased the air conditioning cost's for the claimant.

Same thing happened with the Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles. The buildings across the street were being cooked. They changed the metal sheeting on the outside to a more diffuse finish, which helped a bit.
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!