Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Eye Treatment

Default Laser Eye Treatment

Hi everyone
    Have any of you had any experience of laser eye correction surgery?

it dosnt work for everyone. and you will still need reading glasses when you are older (in your fourties)
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

My mate got it done last year, worked perfectly for her, she's 34!!
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope Pitstop View Post
    Hi everyone
    Have any of you had any experience of laser eye correction surgery?

Go to your GP and ask his/her advice before you do anything. Please.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Go to your GP and ask his/her advice before you do anything. Please.
    I've spoken to him - he had his done and though it was great. Just wanted to ask a few different folk to see what they thought...

I find it difficult to believe that a conscientious modern GP would consider such procedures as acceptable, never mind recommend them to his patients.

Unless there is a real medical necessity for laser eye surgery, then you wouldn't catch me messing around with anything as important as the only pair of eyes I'll ever have. I'll happily keep wearing the specs, ta very much.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I once asked my Optician what he thought about it, and he replied..
    ''You wont find many Opticians having it done ''

Do ask your Doctor and Optician for an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    I once asked my Optician what he thought about it, and he replied..
    ''You wont find many Opticians having it done ''

Do ask your Doctor and Optician for an opinion.
    My optician was Mr O'Brien in Wick - he was really good, but unfortunately he is retired now. I did ask him a couple of years ago and he suggested Optimax in Glasgow - his son had had it done there.

Just that you hear so many different things, some folk think it is fantastic and others have had problems - knowing my luck I would be one of them so have always chickened out!

I have a friend who is an optician and I asked her what she thought - she said it was probably pointless as by the time you are in your forties you would probably need reading glasses anyway!
    I have to say the very thought of it gives me the heeby jeebies - eyes are the only thing I am really squeamish about and don't ask me why but they are the only thing I don't want donated on my organ donor card.

just out of curiosity, what is the prescription of your eyes penelope?
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

my husband had it done in 1999 and i went along with him --he had started to have probs with disposable lenses having used them for several years
    he couldn't get it in scotland at that time so went to london clinic. the results were amazing and the jam jar bottom glasses were ditched,he's never looked back especially as he loves sports.
    no sign of needing reading glasses yet but that's a small price to pay

Smile

I had it done over 2 and a half years ago in Glasgow at Optical Express. they now do it in Inverness and a few folk from work have had it done there and not one of us has looked back, we have all been a success. But the optician's won't do it unless your eyes are totally suitable. It takes about 2 hours for the consultation to see if you can have it done or not

I had it done in December last year and can honestly say it's fantastic. My eyesight was quite poor and I was reliant on contact lenses for most things.

They were quite thorough with me, to the point of having three separate sight tests before the procedure, to make sure my prescription was stable.

Yes, you *might* need reading glasses when you get older, but that doesn't necessarily mean in your forties!

I asked the surgeon how many procedures she'd one - the answer was 20,000

Cool

I tr yd sTarng 1nt2 the la yzur 0n mi elekt rick zaw and 1t d1d nt mayk ony difaranz. i stall hive 20 20 vishun. .
    . . . ………

. . .. .

. . ……..
    ………..

Seriously, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre View Post
    I had it done in December last year and can honestly say it's fantastic. My eyesight was quite poor and I was reliant on contact lenses for most things.

They were quite thorough with me, to the point of having three separate sight tests before the procedure, to make sure my prescription was stable.

Yes, you *might* need reading glasses when you get older, but that doesn't necessarily mean in your forties!

I asked the surgeon how many procedures she'd one - the answer was 20,000
    Can i ask where you went to get it done?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    just out of curiosity, what is the prescription of your eyes penelope?
    It's about -3.75 or -4.00

Thumbs up

I had my eyes done about three years ago by Ultralase. My prescription was quite bad -6.00 and -5.25 and now my eyesight is perfect.

Though I will probably need reading glasses in due course not having to wear specs or contact lens all the time is brilliant. Before I got out of bed I had to put my specs on as I couldn't even see the time on the bedside clock!

It is a tough decision to make, as you only have one pair of eyes and if anything goes wrong......

I didn't have both eyes done at the same time on the recommendation of the clinic. When I had the first one done it was incredibly sore and blurred for a couple of weeks. I did worry at first that it might have gone wrong. I did find it difficult to drive, in fact I stopped driving as I found it difficult to judge distances (ie when passing parked cars) and was a bit disoreintated even though I could still see clearly with my specs on with my untreated eye.

Then when the second eye was done it wasn't as painful and my sight was clear within a day or two.

BIG decision to make, but I'm so glad I had it done as I could no longer tolerate contact lens and hated wearing specs, not because of how they looked, but the nuisance of getting them wet in the rain, steaming up in cold weather and kids that always seemed to knock them which hurt and usually bent the frames.

Cost me £1,000 per eye to have it done but the prices have come down now. I would be a bit cautious of anywhere doing it cheap, infact there was another clinic at the time which was charging £600 per eye but I was unsure of them.

No regrets for me, thankfully.
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

I had mine done in 1997 by Optimax in Newcastle (closest to where I lived at the time). Mine were done 3 months apart - the minimum recommended time and they did my dominant eye first. The procedure I had involved scraping the top layer of cells off with a big cotton bud like thing (after local anisthetic drops) then the laser treatment. It was that healing up that caused the pain, which was just like having grit in your eye for a couple of days. Strangely, I also found the second one less painful - maybe it's because you are more prepared for it.

I think the favoured treatment now is to put a small incision in the top layer to lift it out the way and then fold it back down so there is a lot less recovery required and less chance of hazy vision. I actually had no problems at all and still don't after 10 years. It's not a certainty that you will need reading glasses at a later age and nothing to do with the procedure!

Like any other procedure you should do your homework and go somewhere reputable. In my opinion it's definitely worth doing.

i have two friends that had this treatment done, one just wanted to be free of glasses and the other had it done to secure a job. both are delighted with the results. i myself would do it, but at the moment i only need to wear my specs for very small print so i dont think that the £800 would be well spent.
    but i still you are right to do some research before getting it done.

Default Laser Eye Treatment

I wouldn't do it....my son-in-laws' father had it done....Disaster!!!
    Keep it country

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast