Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding seagulls in town

Default Feeding seagulls in town

Do you know if it's against the Law to feed seagulls in the town? Apart from the mess, they can be aggressive and a hazard for our garden birds. Lady near us feeds them every day.

People feed all sorts of birds. How can it be a crime?

It's a crime to harm themNot to feed them
    W.A.T.P.

If they are causing problems on your property you have the right to shoot them humanely with an air rifle.
    And I think it is an offence to feed them. Ask the police ,my friend did and that,s what he said they told him. I read in the papers some time ago that an old girl in Fraserburgh was feeding them . She would nt take the warning , was served with an Asbo ,still did nt stop , she was taken to court and was sentenced to 2 weeks in jail. A bit harse i thought but she was warned.
    The old Woman across the road from me feeds them 3 times a day 7 days a week .she actually buy s old loaves from lidle,s & Tesco.s for the purpose. Ive been nice and politely asked her to please stop it. but she s to damned stubborn and obstinate. and the mess is inbelievable.
    The bird s are now colonising , If they start to nest on my chimney, one thing you can be sure of is . i will be shooting them.
    No way am i going to be terrorised by them like i was last year . ps. last year i did shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    Do you know if it's against the Law to feed seagulls in the town? Apart from the mess, they can be aggressive and a hazard for our garden birds. Lady near us feeds them every day.
    Sweep you have my sympathy.s we live with that day in day out.There were time we could nt sit in our own garden .get a gun n shoot the flying rats.

us so called humans make a bigger mess of this planet, so i wouldnt worry about seagulls, they have a right to live on this planet to and protect there young, nowt wrong we feeding them, we take there source of food from the sea and eat it, were all gods creatures
    "time waits for nobody"

It's the pigeons here. Rats with wings.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

us humans r the rats causing destruction to this world we live,
    Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    Sweep you have my sympathy.s we live with that day in day out.There were time we could nt sit in our own garden .get a gun n shoot the flying rats.
    "time waits for nobody"

you will find that it is against the law to shoot a gull and certainly against the law to discharge an airrifle wen ther are other houses near buy as this will be a public place and hope u have a licence for ur air gun,
    "time waits for nobody"

Quote Originally Posted by one vision View Post
    us humans r the rats causing destruction to this world we live,
    Speak for yourself.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

i am speaking for myself,we are the human rats that cause destruction all over this world, seagulls only want to survive like every other living creature
    "time waits for nobody"

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    It's the pigeons here. Rats with wings.
    And the horses. Rats with hoofs!

Good point, one vision pitty more of us humans didn't behave like our feathered friends .

Thing being , i really dont give a hoot what the scorry lover s think . Im not going to be intimidated by seagulls crapping over everything swooping down attacking me on MY OWN PROPERTY.... BTW,.. YES, I DO HAVE A LICENCE. not for Airgun,s but an Open Firearms Certificate and a Shotgun Licence, These are the weapons that i cannot discharge near houses or built up areas,
    But tell you something , ive been sorely tempted of late.

Thing being , i really dont give a hoot what the scorry lover s think . Im not going to be intimidated by seagulls crapping over everything swooping down attacking me on MY OWN PROPERTY.... BTW,.. YES, I DO HAVE A LICENCE. not for Airgun,s but an Open Firearms Certificate and a Shotgun Licence, These are the weapons that i cannot discharge near houses or built up areas,
    If Jacko, by your own admission, you are turning slightly phsycopathic (sorely tempted), then you are obliged to turn yourself in to the police for a reasessment of your suitability to have a firearms certificate. And if you live in town as you say, there actually under the rules can be very little justification for you having one in the first place.

Let us know how you get on.

Why not get a large plastic/resin/stone eagle/owl and place it in a very prominent position - on top of a pole in your garden to scare off the large birds. Neighbour has put a large one on top of a high pole on the edge of garden and it is working at keeping all large birds away from his hens - the hoodie crows as well as seagulls are definitely not attacking the eggs, chickens and hens - been in position for a good while and it is still scaring them away. Next time I am on mainland will be getting one to keep the hoodies out of area around house as these birds have no fear of humans.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    If Jacko, by your own admission, you are turning slightly phsycopathic (sorely tempted), then you are obliged to turn yourself in to the police for a reasessment of your suitability to have a firearms certificate. And if you live in town as you say, there actually under the rules can be very little justification for you having one in the first place.Let us know how you get on.
    I dont think being tempted to shoot a bird could be classed as psychopathic, also where did jacko say he/she lived in a town?
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I dont think being tempted to shoot a bird could be classed as psychopathic,
    Ask a parrot, to get the other side's view.

But then Ducati you would defend those flying rats would nt you. your in the business of cleaning car s are.nt you. guess their your friend s ..... but dont worry i shall be exterminating them as and how i can . on my property.

But then Ducati you would defend those flying rats would nt you. your in the business of cleaning car s are.nt you. guess their your friend s ..... but dont worry i shall be exterminating them as and how i can . on my property.
    This is for Scotland

The principal legislation dealing with the protection of birds is the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This makes it illegal to intentionally capture, injure or destroy wild birds or interfere with an active nest or its contents.

However, the law does recognise that, in some circumstances, control may be necessary against particular species of birds. Under section 16 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the Scottish Executive annually issues general licences. These authorise the killing or taking of certain species of wild birds, including Feral Pigeon, Herring Gull, Lesser black-backed gull and Great black-backed gull for the purpose of:-

protecting any collection of wild birds (licence SEGEN/09),
    preserving public health, public safety, or air safety (licence SEGEN/10), and
    preventing the spread of disease and serious damage to livestock or agriculture (licence SEGEN/22)

Please note that a Licence is required, without one you can be prosecuted. Actions outside the terms and conditions of a general licence or that have not been permitted by any other individual licences are criminal offences.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 06-Jul-13 at 13:51.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast