Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Jim Bews newsagents to close as well

Default Jim Bews newsagents to close as well

Owner David Moss has anounced Jim Bews will close on Wednesday 5th Jume

David also owns D R Simpsons in wick which is also closing

I am not surprised about J. Bews Closing. I had been a faithful customer of J. Bews for Years until it was taken over. Then everything went out the window. I just got fed up making complaints about their lack of service and their mistakes that I closed my Account and never went back in again. If they treated all their customers the way I was treated then the only thing surprising about this, is that they lasted so long.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I am not surprised about J. Bews Closing. I had been a faithful customer of J. Bews for Years until it was taken over. Then everything went out the window. I just got fed up making complaints about their lack of service and their mistakes that I closed my Account and never went back in again. If they treated all their customers the way I was treated then the only thing surprising about this, is that they lasted so long.
    I disagree. I've always had excellent service from the staff in Jim Bews. I'll be sad to see the shop close; I got sweeties there when I was a bairn and dirty magazines when I was a bit older

Seriously though, I wish all the staff success in finding new work.

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    I disagree. I've always had excellent service from the staff in Jim Bews. I'll be sad to see the shop close; I got sweeties there when I was a bairn and dirty magazines when I was a bit older
    I would have gone back and asked for a clean copy.
    W.A.T.P.

I am surprised J.Bews is closing, I rarely use the shop but when I have it was always busy..queing and waiting for service all the time.
    What has gone wrong I wonder??

Does this now mean that the lazy dounreay workers will have to walk further to a paper shop rather than parking on the bus stop or zig zags opposite Jim Bews. If these shops like many others before are closing due to rising costs can`t the council give them reduced rent/rates for a couple of years? Surely some money is better than no money and it may help the businesses to get through these tough times?
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

But...but....but.....

I swear I read postings on here, not even 3 years ago that said we would be able to shop our socks off at Tesco, and all the local shops would still be there for us when we needed them, still employing local workers, and still keeping the local supply chain going.

Is this not the case after all?

Down to 1 Newsagent business left in Thurso, Newsbeat, locally owned, hopefully we can support it and keep it in business.

It is not only Tesco that sell Newspapers. There is the Co-op, Lidl, Mace Shop, McColls, etc etc. In one point in time the only place you could buy a selection of Newspapers and Magazines was a Newsagents. Now nearly every shop you go into sells Newspapers. Something had to give.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Nothing to stop A N Other from taking on the shop and running as a news outlet.I don't think folk buy papers and mags like they used to.Digital is the way forward these days.
    W.A.T.P.

Have to say before it was announced it was closing I had made the decision not to go in there after being spoken to rudely for the 3rd time in a row in the shop - t was the final straw - I hadn't even required any assistance - simple sale - customer picks products from shelves - takes to counter - attempts to pay with a £10.00 note and gets grunted and moaned at for not having correct change !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!