Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Will women play a greater role in the 21st century than they did in the 20th?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 52.54%
  • No

9 15.25%
  • Don't know

5 8.47%
  • Don't care

14 23.73%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will women play a greater role in the 21st century than they did in the 20th?

Default Will women play a greater role in the 21st century than they did in the 20th?

What do you think?

Perhaps the expression "greater role" needs to be more fully defined. Women play some spectacular roles in life now. We would sort of be hard pressed to be born without them, so that is a pretty great role in most of our lives. In most cases they are the primary educators and care givers. No more important role than that. On and on I could go to a point where I might finally suggest that any more great roles and we won't have time to fulfill them all.

Okay, maybe some of the org sarcasm has infected my grey matter, so I go back to my first sentence, "greater role" needs to be more fully defined.

I thought of asking whether we would play a greater political role but that was too specific so I left it deliberately vague. Interpret the question and answer it as you wish.

I think women will fill some different roles and possibly higher percentages will fill non stereotypical roles, but, the poll question is too ambiguous for me to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    What do you think?
    How could they take a greater roll? They took over in the 20th century and look where it's got us.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    What do you think?
    As long as they still wash the dishes........... then I say:

"Go for it, Girls!"
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    How could they take a greater roll? They took over in the 20th century and look where it's got us.
    And Bush and Blair have been such shining examples ?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mareng View Post
    As long as they still wash the dishes........... then I say:

"Go for it, Girls!"
    Erm heard of dishwashers . They can be bought most reasonably.

Default women in power

well there apears to be a lot of women in positions of power only they are not usualy seen in the public ey such as stela rimington i think thats how its pronounced . the esteemed head of our inteligence services. then theres codaliza rice us secretery of state and that newly apointed heaad of the us senate. and talk of hilary clinton being the next president of the usa. so i think they are a good way there to being more involved and having more influence on the world stage and no bad thing either.
    Totus EGO postulo ut exsisto gauisus est Deus , meus loving uxor , quod meus kids.

shivers.. oh please dont use c. rice as an example of female leadership!
    however i would absolutly love to have a madame president! well a good madame president that is!
    dear lord knows a dead horse could do better than bush!
    i just keep chanting one more year one more year.. and im not even in teh country anymore!

but seriously.. in america.. i feel we are still a long way away from having a female president..
    there is still a very male oriented mentality about females in power..
    a womans place is in the home.
    a woman cant lead a country
    you know with our delicate constitutions..
    we have no buisness is politics gov or war..
    but we are good enough.. to play hostess.. (ie.. manuver everything into peacful negotiations so the men all get along. ) keep everything running smoothly in the world in a purley democratic way.. wouldnt want anything to conflict..
    and my all time fav.
    women are not able to handle the strains of war and should never be on the front line.. but from the word go. they have been there.. cleaning up the carnage left behind. cutting off limbs.. sewing up.. and basically cleaning up the mess.. but we are not capable of killing evidently.. *winks* even though women tend to be the most devious of the species *giggles*

i grew up with that sort of mentality.. and it made me so angry..
    that many still think a woman is not as proficent in many areas as a man.
    that because of her sex that her brain dosent work on full capacity..
    shakes head..
    what does it say about our society when females are still paid less than men doing the exact same job?
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    shivers.. oh please dont use c. rice as an example of female leadership!
    however i would absolutly love to have a madame president! well a good madame president that is!
    dear lord knows a dead horse could do better than bush!
    i just keep chanting one more year one more year.. and im not even in teh country anymore!

but seriously.. in america.. i feel we are still a long way away from having a female president..
    there is still a very male oriented mentality about females in power..
    a womans place is in the home.
    a woman cant lead a country
    you know with our delicate constitutions..
    we have no buisness is politics gov or war..
    but we are good enough.. to play hostess.. (ie.. manuver everything into peacful negotiations so the men all get along. ) keep everything running smoothly in the world in a purley democratic way.. wouldnt want anything to conflict..
    and my all time fav.
    women are not able to handle the strains of war and should never be on the front line.. but from the word go. they have been there.. cleaning up the carnage left behind. cutting off limbs.. sewing up.. and basically cleaning up the mess.. but we are not capable of killing evidently.. *winks* even though women tend to be the most devious of the species *giggles*

i grew up with that sort of mentality.. and it made me so angry..
    that many still think a woman is not as proficent in many areas as a man.
    that because of her sex that her brain dosent work on full capacity..
    shakes head..
    what does it say about our society when females are still paid less than men doing the exact same job?
    America? It says you in Wick? Anyway, I digress, you have about two years to wait for a female president, not a long time at all. Hilary Clinton will be voted in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    And Bush and Blair have been such shining examples ?
    Behind every powerful man there is at least two women. His mother and his wife. Who wears the trousers in your house? Cherie could eat Tony and Mrs Bush has God on her side.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    Behind every powerful man there is at least two women. His mother and his wife. Who wears the trousers in your house? Cherie could eat Tony and Mrs Bush has God on her side.
    hee hee the sign of a good women is when the man truly thinks hes in charge when in reality ..........its the woman

Looks like its Weeboyagee who wears the tousers in this house when hes home and not skulking around in his shorts......calm now girls dont all swoon at the thought.

Men are supposed to be doing a lot more around the house in the 21st century so it doesn't take much to work out that women's roles will be a lot smaller in the future.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Men are supposed to be doing a lot more around the house in the 21st century so it doesn't take much to work out that women's roles will be a lot smaller in the future.

Hee Hee Rhegers, did you manage to type that with your marigolds on or of

Whilst at a school a few weeks back I had a talk with a few teachers and to cut a long tale short it is their opinion that in say 5 to 10 years if the boys donīt wake up , the majority of the skilled students (those that really do achieve something) not to offend others will in all likelyhood be women. having looked at the attitude of boy learning and girls learning I can see their point. and personaly >I think it would be a better world if woman took charge of their countries.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Women always have, and always will play a great role. Can you imagine if the world was full of men only, lol?!?!

I do think we will see more women in positions of power, and in jobs traditionally held by men, in the 21st century. After all, it was mostly in the second half of the 20th century that we began to see a great increase in the number of women working outside the home, as well as being wives and mothers at the same time. Of course, during the two World Wars, we did see a number of women taking over mens jobs in farms and factories, but that was to temporarily take the place of those men called up to the military.
    Last edited by Sporran; 15-Jan-07 at 00:29.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Women always have, and always will play a great role.
    This is a very very true statement

Default Will women play a greater role in the 21st century than they did in the 20th?

I have been blessed with a wonderful wife and three great daughters. I am certain they will do even better in the 21st century.

Care takers, cooks, cleaners, drivers, teachers, event organizers, handy person, baby sitter, (home) manager, accountant, finance advisor, actress and holding down a (outside home) job at the same time. Women are for a large part unsung hero's. Their role is already one of the greatest that can exist: influencing the future through their children. The pity is that all this effort too often goes unrecognized by our atitudes and the worth we give to all this work.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast