Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start Caithness Co-housing, eco-living for like-minded individuals/familes

Default Looking to start Caithness Co-housing, eco-living for like-minded individuals/familes

Hello. I'm wondering if there are other people out there perhaps interested in the idea of pulling together, living and working together for healthy, organic living. A place to escape the insanity of the world today and just living in the way of the ancestors. Family/community striving for the goals of just looking out for each other, helping each other from cradle to grave. Healthy living. Turning our back on the modern unhealthy eating and ideas of self-gain.

Prices of everything from land, housing or food is skyrocketing with no end in site, right? But, self sufficiency, living off the land and off grid, recycling when and where possible and pooling and sharing our resources...sound like a Utopia? It doesn't have to be! It just needs like minded individuals and families to come together and choose to live like that. It only needs land and people that each have something to contribute to the overall good of the community.

Me? What would I contribute to the group? Well, I am currently studying to be a naturopath. Not to be confused with a homeopath. I'm studying to heal via organic fruits, veggies, herbs, spices, nuts and seeds. Pretty much like the healers of old. So that would be my contribution as well as working to plant the community's food supply, as well as helping to organise events, meet with people, share my resources too, rearing ethically raised animals etc. Of course, there would always be the need for builders, teachers, fellow workers, office workers, farmers, animal care, care for the children and elderly etc, etc..from cradle to grave.

Is there anyone else interested up here in Caithness?? Does anyone have any land that would be interested in a such a way of life?

It does sound like utopia seachelle, I'm a bit old to get involved now but if I did it would be somewhere warmer, where stuff grows.

Is it april 1st already???
    "No matter how i struggle and strive i"llnever get out of this world alive"...Hank Williams

Is this a wind up? If not, I have some land that I would be willing to sell at the right the price.
    Everyone's a critic ...............

We already do, if you want to lend a hand and do the greenfingered stuff you would be welcome.

I hear you Ducati, I wouldn't mind some Summer warmth right about now, myself! No, Southview 7 it's definitely NOT a joke or a wind up Laguna2. And if enough people come together, then perhaps an arrangement could be made. Newweecroft, I would definitely be interested in lending a hand and help out with the "greenfingered stuff". Absolutely, it's what it's all about. How organic is your land, do you know if it could be used for organic crops? What of animals, like chickens and goats? I am very, very interested in ethically raising animals for milk, eggs, meat etc;

Good luck with that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seachelle View Post
    Well, I am currently studying to be a naturopath. Not to be confused with a homeopath.
    Is it related to a garden path?

I'm studying to heal via ... nuts ... .
    You'll be needing to share with macadamia. He's nuts too....
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 23-Mar-13 at 01:59.

I hear you Ducati, I wouldn't mind some Summer warmth right about now, myself! No, Southview 7 it's definitely NOT a joke or a wind up Laguna2. And if enough people come together, then perhaps an arrangement could be made. Newweecroft, I would definitely be interested in lending a hand and help out with the "greenfingered stuff". Absolutely, it's what it's all about. How organic is your land, do you know if it could be used for organic crops? What of animals, like chickens and goats? I am very, very interested in ethically raising animals for milk, eggs, meat etc;
    Have you ever tried that? I mean, do you have experience in farming? Because it sounds as an utopia kind of post...
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinScot View Post
    Have you ever tried that? I mean, do you have experience in farming? Because it sounds as an utopia kind of post...
    Yes, I have. I came from a horse ranch in Arizona. But, we raised a lot of other animals like chickens etc too. And I am well aware of how Utopian it sounds and I apologise for that, but the interest is genuine. I assure you.
    Last edited by Seachelle; 23-Mar-13 at 14:04.

I just guess that farming in Arizona is a bit different from farming in Scotland... When you have tried for a season to grow plants and/or vegetables here, comes back and post your opinion...Concerning animals, I found chickens are wee bu'g'gers, too many eggs or no eggs at all....
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

utopia? Sounds like hard work to me. What's utopian about hard work? Lol ducati, no it's not exactly warm here but, food does grow really well here and some not at all without some sort of protection. Certain foods do though. Kale, sprouting broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tatties, parsnips, hardy herbs, neeps, onions, garlic, beets, leeks, broad beans, peas, lettuces, cabbages, mustards, mizuna, soft fruit, oats, etc. All grows here just fine as many could tell you but, becoming self-sufficient in these for a family takes a full-time gardener/farmer and lotsa graft. No doubt about it. Nothing utopian about placing more of your personal and community responsibilities on your own shoulders either. Try living off grid without mains electricity etc for awhile then decide whether it is utopian and some airy fairy easy way to eek out a living. Merlinscot, i totally agree on the chickens! Lol

I could not agree with you more, Roadbowler, it IS damned hard word. And you know, as they say more hands makes light work, right? Which is why if enough people get together and with the aim of sharing the produce, I think it is an viable solution to such difficulties. Our ancestors did it. Why can't we?

Spuds and brassicas do well in Caithness.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Spuds and brassicas do well in Caithness.
    Depends which way the wind is blowing tho'.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Seachelle? as in Michelle from Thurso?

My neighbours have a great veg plot, they are very succesfull with it and they dont grow under cover.
    Have to ask Seachelle - why does it have to be organic?

Organic, because it really is the best way to eat healthy. NO chemicals. For me, having been so sick, with various complaints, from what I have studied up on, it seems to way to go. Plus, it really isn't that good to pollute the land like that either. Using various pesticides, etc..really not good for you or the land. And it really is why so many people are so sick these days with whole new illnesses like irritable bowel, Fibromyalgia etc. But, eating an entirely organic diet can cure so much of that.

Organic, because it really is the best way to eat healthy. NO chemicals. For me, having been so sick, with various complaints, from what I have studied up on, it seems to way to go. Plus, it really isn't that good to pollute the land like that either. Using various pesticides, etc..really not good for you or the land. And it really is why so many people are so sick these days with whole new illnesses like irritable bowel, Fibromyalgia etc. But, eating an entirely organic diet can cure so much of that.
    Which School of Totally Unjustified Assertions did you get your ideas from?

As I suspected - nuts!

Read roadbowler's post and learn - no nuts (for a change lol!)

Sorry Secrets in Symmetry, in this case you're the one that's got it wrong, she and I are on the same page. We both agree that it takes a lot of hard work, but also that it's possible. She does live like that currently as it happens. Plus, with the sheer amount of studying and investigating I've done, I have concluded that eating an all organic diet is the healthiest and best way to live and the only way for me personally. And what's up with the insulting sarcastic and rude comments and attitude? What have I ever done to you to justify that? I am only making inquiries, that's all. Lighten up, geez.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast