Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Out of the European Court of Human Rights?

Question Out of the European Court of Human Rights?

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Rumour has it that Teresa May has vowed to take Britain out of the European Court of Human Rights. Is this just yet another knee-jerk reaction to the recent success of UKIP, or is she serious? Interesting times ahead ............ maybe! What say you?

IMHO, we should never have joined !!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Rumour has it that Teresa May has vowed to take Britain out of the European Court of Human Rights. Is this just yet another knee-jerk reaction to the recent success of UKIP, or is she serious? Interesting times ahead ............ maybe! What say you?
    There's a lot more to this than meets the eye.

There are workplace protections
    prevention of discrimination based on age, gender, race, and disability
    privacy protections
    religious protections
    the working time directive

all are included in the EHRA.

Repealing the EHRA has nothing to do with what the tories publicly claim, and everything to do with those I've listed.

If you want to live in a Britain where the only people with any rights are business owners and employers, then repeal the Act. If you want to live in a fair, just, and inclusive society, then keep the Act.
    Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    IMHO, we should never have joined !!!
    Hear hear, but as Flynn points out there are a lot of cons with the pro's if it happens, the "cons" will have a field day against unions or any other section that gets in their way of the well off. has the justice system got enough clout against them ?, IMHO no.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Vote Tory and UKIP and they'll take your human rights away. I can see that as a great vote winner.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Well, I know of a fair few people who voted for Labour and lost rights themselves, because of Blair's hidden agenda and the ECHR, whilst paying through the nose to provide 'rights,' for others; some of whom who didn't deserve them, or contribute a thing to the system.

some of whom who didn't deserve them, or contribute a thing to the system.
    Who didn't deserve them? Do you really think contributing to the system is a prerequisite to receiving human rights?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Off the top of my head, Rheg? How about, Abu Hamza, who avoided extradition for years, whilst preaching hatred for Britain? Or, Abu Qatada? Or foreign criminals who have committed barbaric crimes, but can't be deported. Or, votes for prisoners? Strewth, the list could go on forever, as well you know!

Off the top of my head, Rheg? How about, Abu Hamza, who avoided extradition for years, whilst preaching hatred for Britain? Or, Abu Qatada? Or foreign criminals who have committed barbaric crimes, but can't be deported. Or, votes for prisoners? Strewth, the list could go on forever, as well you know!
    So now you're saying we should deny people their human rights, based on what they say or where they're from?
    Radical, Man!

Yawn! More twisting and turning from you Flynn. Where have I said that people should be denied human rights, based on where they're from? I was asked for examples of those I didn't think deserved them and I listed a few. I couldn't give a monkeys' nonkers where they're from. Just that their rights to jeopardise the safety of our people, should not be allowed under any law. Or perhaps, you think otherwise?

Yawn! More twisting and turning from you Flynn. Where have I said that people should be denied human rights, based on where they're from? I was asked for examples of those I didn't think deserved them and I listed a few. I couldn't give a monkeys' nonkers where they're from. Just that their rights to jeopardise the safety of our people, should not be allowed under any law. Or perhaps, you think otherwise?
    NO-ONE - regardless of who they are or what they have done - should EVER be denied their human rights. To do so makes us no better than them.
    Radical, Man!

Political compass, Flynn?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    NO-ONE - regardless of who they are or what they have done - should EVER be denied their human rights. To do so makes us no better than them.
    The problem is turning the other cheek hurts only one person, as well they know and use it far too often. Take away their opportunity and see the difference, they will behave civilized or rue the consequences. Goose and Gander springs to mind.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    The problem is turning the other cheek hurts only one person, as well they know and use it far too often. Take away their opportunity and see the difference, they will behave civilized or rue the consequences. Goose and Gander springs to mind.
    I didn't say we should turn the other cheek, I said we should not lower ourselves to denying anyone their human rights - for any reason.
    Radical, Man!

I couldn't agree more Tonka.

I wonder how many of you, agree that Abu Hamza should have been at liberty for years, to preach hatred of Britain and his acknowledged support for the terrorist group al Q'aida, because of Human Rights issues? What about the rights of our soldiers, when he worked to recruit others to fight against them? Do you believe he deserved that taxpayers shell out millions of pounds to support his hateful activities; a demanding family and extortionate legal costs to resist deportation? It's an easy enough question .... yes, or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I didn't say we should turn the other cheek
    In all the cases I quoted, we are being asked to do exactly that, Flynn. Which you know, of course. But then politically you are in what camp? After all, it's only fair. You have no problem in stating the political parties, I don't support and yet seem strangely shy to reveal your colour.

A person can be deported, jailed, or whatever, but still have human rights.

I couldn't agree more Tonka.

I wonder how many of you, agree that Abu Hamza should have been at liberty for years, to preach hatred of Britain and his acknowledged support for the terrorist group al Q'aida, because of Human Rights issues? What about the rights of our soldiers, when he worked to recruit others to fight against them? Do you believe he deserved that taxpayers shell out millions of pounds to support his hateful activities; a demanding family and extortionate legal costs to resist deportation? It's an easy enough question .... yes, or no?
    Let me get this straight, you support the withdrawal of human rights and the right to free speech from Islamic extremists and oppose the cost of locking them up in this country, but support the right of the European extreme far-right to financial support from the EU budget? So extreme politics are democratic in your eyes, provided the people espousing those extreme politics are not brown?

Ok. I know exactly where you're coming from now.
    Last edited by Flynn; 03-Mar-13 at 14:35.
    Radical, Man!

Hmmm....

Demonise those claiming benefits by highlighting the most extreme of examples that does not reflect the experience of the vast majority struggling to survive on benefits...
    Demonise the ECHR by highlighting the most extreme of examples that do not reflect the positive effects that it has had for the vast majority affected by it....

Seeing a pattern here in your methods....
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Wrong, yet again Flynn. I don't support the "withdrawal of human rights," in the way you suggest. I would however, like to see the removal of the interference in British Law, from the ECHR. Again, you know that, of course. I certainly would deport anyone like Hamza, who openly recruited men to fight and kill British soldiers. I most certainly would not allow him free rein to preach his hatred, whilst being financed by the British taxpayer. You obviously, think it's all okay! Just taking a leaf outta your book, brother. I won't dignify the rest of the trumped-up charge in your post, because it's absolute rot! As well you know, but desperate times call for desperate measures, huh Flynn?

Meanwhile, I've recorded your vote for Hamza.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast