Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What do they do?

Default What do they do?

Have seen a couple of guys in blue vests around Thurso what do they do? think they might be council. Anyone know?

Could it be the new Street Pastors? http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...o-14102011.htm

No surprised they're blue if they're oot in their vests in this weather.

Whale and Dolphin Watchers I believe.

Is that not the "Community Wardens" that have been springing up everywhere?

As for what they do.... Your guess is as good as mine.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Yes Alrock, I saw a couple of them last week in the blue 'hi-viz' vests and it said community warden on the back, and like you i have no idea what they actually do!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Found this about Community Wardens on Highland Council website

What do the Wardens become involved in?

• Combating fly tipping, graffiti and dog fouling
    • Identifying and reporting incidents of vandalism
    • Working with young people
    • Visiting vulnerable residents
    • Establishing links with local schools
    • Working in partnership with resident associations and community councils
    • Becoming involved in environmental improvements and projects
    • Carrying out regular patrols of communities
    Community Wardens can have a significant impact upon the incidence of fly-tipping, graffiti and abandoned cars and are involved with identifying and reporting instances of vandalism, ensuring that remedial action is taken more quickly. Community Wardens can also have an important role in chasing up residents with unsightly gardens and ensuring that they are maintained satisfactorily in future.

The wardens become well known to the children of the areas they serve and work hard to encourage young people to have more respect for their surroundings, particularly in terms of graffiti and littering. They also establish useful links with local schools.

I particularly like this bit

The wardens become well known to the children of the areas they serve and work hard to encourage young people to have more respect for their surroundings, particularly in terms of graffiti and littering. They also establish useful links with local schools.

I hope the parents are also teaching the kids respect for their surroundings anyway as a matter of course! the amount of kids i see (usually high school) just opening a sweet like a mars bar or something similar and just throw the wrapper on the floor is unreal
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Tugs surely you don't expect parents to teach their kids anything nowadays. That is down to school teachers and just about anybody else but themselves. (rant over now)
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Found this about Community Wardens on Highland Council website

What do the Wardens become involved in?

• Combating fly tipping, graffiti and dog fouling
    • Identifying and reporting incidents of vandalism
    • Working with young people
    • Visiting vulnerable residents
    • Establishing links with local schools
    • Working in partnership with resident associations and community councils
    • Becoming involved in environmental improvements and projects
    • Carrying out regular patrols of communities

Community Wardens can have a significant impact upon the incidence of fly-tipping, graffiti and abandoned cars and are involved with identifying and reporting instances of vandalism, ensuring that remedial action is taken more quickly. Community Wardens can also have an important role in chasing up residents with unsightly gardens and ensuring that they are maintained satisfactorily in future.

Fair enough... But what do they actually do?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Fair enough... But what do they actually do?
    Attract funding? More nanny state nonsense if you ask me. Youse people can't be trusted to blow your noses.
    Last edited by ducati; 25-Feb-13 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    the amount of kids i see (usually high school) just opening a sweet like a mars bar or something similar and just throw the wrapper on the floor is unreal
    The floor of what?

I have 4 children and do not expect anyone else but myself and my husband to teach them to respect people and their surroundings thanks very much , not all parents are the same and have no idea what they're children get up half the time. I certainly do not think it's a teachers job or wardens job.!! (Rant over now) 😡

Does it really matter what they do? It is two less people for people to moan about not having jobs,although they will probably moan about them being paid to walk the streets now instead grr x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Are they Highland council's answer to the Guardian Angels?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.