Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Where in Caithness can I buy woven fiberglass mat or tape?

Default Where in Caithness can I buy woven fiberglass mat or tape?

Where can I get woven roving fiberglass matting? Or even the woven tape thats about 2" to 4" wide?
    Its for repairing the taped seams on a plywood Mirror sailing dinghy.

I know I can get chopped strand mat easily enough. Its the neater woven stuff I'm after if anyone knows. Dont need an awful lot as I have some already, just a few square meters to ensure that I have enough to complete the project.

Thanks

We have a couple of items in stock that may do that job.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Caithness Chemicals at Wick Airport Ind Estate usually have matting and Resin in stock
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    Caithness Chemicals at Wick Airport Ind Estate usually have matting and Resin in stock
    Ive only ever seen him stocking the chopped strand mat. No use for boat-building Im afraid. (well it would do the same job, but its as rough as a Badgers Tadger!) lol

Auto Parts in Thurso will this.

Unit 19B
    Ormlie Industrial Estate
    Thurso
    Caithness
    KW14 7QU

01847 892916

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Birons View Post
    We have a couple of items in stock that may do that job.
    Have PM'd you to ask a few questions. It has to be a cloth type, woven at right angles. Like this:-
    https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=...w=1247&bih=687

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Auto Parts in Thurso will this.

Unit 19B
    Ormlie Industrial Estate
    Thurso
    Caithness
    KW14 7QU

01847 892916
    Doubt it. Car repairs use chopped strand matting, not woven roving.

Hi i use ALLSCOT in glasgow lot cheaper than wick as when i did my flat roof they charged double the price for everthing in wick round the harbour way and they even got it from Allscot at trade so Alscot the place for me, website www.allscotltd.co.uk sale everthing to do with fiberglassing, All sent up by courier still cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by andyw View Post
    Hi i use ALLSCOT in glasgow lot cheaper than wick as when i did my flat roof they charged double the price for everthing in wick round the harbour way and they even got it from Allscot at trade so Alscot the place for me, website www.allscotltd.co.uk sale everthing to do with fiberglassing, All sent up by courier still cheaper
    No fear. I know I can get it from the South, but thats not here when I need it, ie- now, AND I'd far rather give the cash to a local business for this albeit small purchase anyway. If we dont keep using local businesses, they simply wont be here in the future, especially when needed for things like this that are required in a hurry.

Thanks very much for the info though, I will bookmark it for future GRP requirements if required. I have used CFS fiberglass supplies before. Thats where my current stock of woven roving came from.

there is a old man that repairs boats just the other side of the chip shop on wick habour he is only there some days but thats where we go think it is the place with doors

Aye, that will be Jimmy McCaughey. He has pretty much retired now and as you say is not always there. He should have some but I might not see him for weeks. Thanks though.

I know you'll have tried MUT. He has got stuff in for me super quick recently..

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I know you'll have tried MUT. He has got stuff in for me super quick recently..
    Hiya, I havent tried MUT yet, but I need to see them to get me a Buoyancy vest in for this dinghy anyway. I cant sail this with my good auto-inflate lifejackets on!
    I will measure up the required amount tonight, and see if what I already have will do the job. I'll also try to see if I can find Jimmy at the old Boatyard this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Hiya, I havent tried MUT yet, but I need to see them to get me a Buoyancy vest in for this dinghy anyway. I cant sail this with my good auto-inflate lifejackets on!
    I will measure up the required amount tonight, and see if what I already have will do the job. I'll also try to see if I can find Jimmy at the old Boatyard this weekend.
    Less pies my bouy, less pies!

You know how very true you are! lol
    It may just go into very long storage for the bairn when he's older!

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    No use for boat-building Im afraid. (well it would do the same job, but its as rough as a Badgers Tadger!) lol
    Oh! What's a "Badger's Tadger," Even? I wonder if this is the Celtic form of the English Lodger's todger?" Sorry to threadnap, but the English language gets me excited.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    Oh! What's a "Badger's Tadger," Even? I wonder if this is the Celtic form of the English Lodger's todger?" Sorry to threadnap, but the English language gets me excited.
    Not a clue. Never even seen a Badger up here, and I canna speak English til save ma life! Sums up what I wanted to say just perfectly though! lol

Ooh! Yes, Even. I rather think it did!