Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lotto price to double

Default Lotto price to double

Camelot have decided to put the price of a flutter on the Lotto up to£2.00 a ticket. The government collected £738 million in duty last year because of 12% duty charged,this will double if the ticket price goes up.
    I only buy two tickets a week at the moment, I am now thinking will I bother any more.
    Last edited by golach; 17-Jan-13 at 11:13.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I buy 2 tickets a week for the lottery and 2 for the euromillions and although i accept the odds of winning are humongous and the pot was pitiful, now that the cost of trying to win has doubled, i wont buy wed/sat anymore. I'll just drop the wed/sat tickets and stick with euromillions (unless they put them up too).

Now they have you hooked they could probably make it £10 a ticket and they would still sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Camelot have decided to put the price of a flutter on the Lotto up to£2.00 a ticket. The government collected £738 million in duty last year because of 12% duty charged,this will double if the ticket price goes up.
    I only buy two tickets a week at the moment, I am now thinking will I bother any more.
    Thats interesting. When the fledgling United States formed they had no way of collecting taxes so they didn't. They just ran Lotterys. That would be a good model for us. Just gamblers pay and everyone else lives tax free. (I bet it would work )

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Thats interesting. When the fledgling United States formed they had no way of collecting taxes so they didn't. They just ran Lotterys. That would be a good model for us. Just gamblers pay and everyone else lives tax free. (I bet it would work )
    I picked up that snippet of info the other day while watching a programme called Pawn Stars, they had a lottery ticket signed by George Washington

When is this due to start?

They won't be getting our money anymore.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    When is this due to start?They won't be getting our money anymore.
    sometime in the Autumn allegedly

Just buy half as many as before.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Just buy half as many as before.
    which halves the odds of winning.....why didnt i think of that

Will continue playing till price goes up, but after that will save it and put it into premium bonds, at least I will have something to show for it even if ernie fails to pick my numbers.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Lol! What greeting about the price! Its been the same price since.....1994. Can you name me any other fixed rate service that's the same price as 1994?

Mind, its not a right to buy lottery tickets, its a privelage!
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    Lol! What greeting about the price! Its been the same price since.....1994. Can you name me any other fixed rate service that's the same price as 1994?

Mind, its not a right to buy lottery tickets, its a privelage!
    Yep agree 100%
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Yep agree 100%
    Its not just the price going up I am bothered about, but the amount of duty that will be generated by doubling the ticket price, is my main concern

Its not just the price going up I am bothered about, but the amount of duty that will be generated by doubling the ticket price, is my main concern
    Why? that amount will build a hospital.

But over 18 years that revenue has depreciated in real value to good causes, no?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Why? that amount will build a hospital.
    But does it go to that use? Or will it fund the MP's proposed pay increase that they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    which halves the odds of winning.....why didnt i think of that
    What happens to the size of the jackpot when the price goes up?

Double the stake should see double the prize money (assuming the number of tickets sold remains the same) & after all, at an estimated £4 million jackpot currently & the fact that £4 million doesn't go far these days (how many Mars bars is that?), it's no wonder that they are doubling it....
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

But does it go to that use? Or will it fund the MP's proposed pay increase that they want.
    Well if it didn't, that would cost a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Double the stake should see double the prize money (assuming the number of tickets sold remains the same) & after all, at an estimated £4 million jackpot currently & the fact that £4 million doesn't go far these days (how many Mars bars is that?), it's no wonder that they are doubling it....
    So if the price doubles and the jackpot doubles and you buy half as many, you have half the chance of winning twice as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast