Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Fact of the day

Default Fact of the day

This day in 2002 saw the death of musician Joe Strummer, formerly of British punk group The Clash, aged 50. The Clash were active between 1976 and 1986 and who, unlike some of the other early punk groups whose subject matter was often limited to girls, beers and nihilism, instead addressed issues such as politics, race, societal decay and militarism. During their career they helped forge strong links between the Punk, Reggae and Ska communities and supported many activist organisations. Strummer was also instrumental in establishing Future Forests and was ahead of the game when he became the first artist to release a 'carbon neutral' album to combat climate change.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Did you write that yourself Tug, or copy from somewhere?

Good choice of fact BTW.

From the Scotsman
    I ain't that brainy lol
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Aah!! Oh dear Tugmistress, you impressed me for a wee while, but not to worry your forecasts always impress me. Well done, keep it up.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

ah the clash some cracking tunes. its on my cd player the now.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

We saw Joe Strummer when he supported The Who back in 1999 when they played Glasgow SECC and what a show, brilliant from start to finish.

Am feeling the need for a little bop about the sitting room now. Have been overdosing on Christmas songs all day on MTV and its time for some good tunes.

Fave Clash\Strummer tune everyone? mines is Should i Stay or Should i go?

Herr Squiggle's favourite is "Straight to Hell", whereas I am a sucker for "Rock the Casbah" - obvious, I know, but it reminds me of Year 7 school discos and spiral perms and bubble skirts and ... oh heck, perhaps it's all best forgotten.
    Loved the Clash as a teenager and still listen to their music quite often. Just remember, one man's sad-sack nostalgia is another man's pinnacle of success.

Default On this day....according to the BBC....

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    This day in 2002 saw the death of musician Joe Strummer, formerly of British punk group The Clash, aged 50. The Clash were active between 1976 and 1986 and who, unlike some of the other early punk groups whose subject matter was often limited to girls, beers and nihilism, instead addressed issues such as politics, race, societal decay and militarism. During their career they helped forge strong links between the Punk, Reggae and Ska communities and supported many activist organisations. Strummer was also instrumental in establishing Future Forests and was ahead of the game when he became the first artist to release a 'carbon neutral' album to combat climate change.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/

1962: Bay of Pigs prisoners fly to freedom

1974: 'Drowned' Stonehouse found alive

1968: First astronauts orbit Moon

1979: Europe launches first rocket

1988: Oilfields crippled after storage ship drifts

1997: Minister's son arrested in drug probe
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird