Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bbc alba - whats the point in gaelic?

Default Bbc alba - whats the point in gaelic?

While I think some of the programmes on BBC ALBA are great, I do wonder just how much politics (rather than common sense) is behind the reason to broadcast them in gaelic ? Just how many Hearts and St Mirren supporters speak gaelic? Get real ! I thought TV was all about viewing numbers. IMO this is another SNP policy not thought through (as most of them appear to be). If BBC Alba is for Scotland, then it should broadcast in the language which the vast majority of us speak. Debate welcome!
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

I Think Gaelic Should Be Taught In School. Personally I Think Its Rather Sad That We Dont Speak Gaelic Or Even Caithness Dialect Anymore! Surely We Should Learn The Languages Of Our Own Country First Before Learning Others! Its A Sad State Of Affairs That Upon Leaving School Kids Could Go To France And Have A Conversation With A French Man, But Couldnt Go To Skye & Speak Gaelic!

Language is about communication, pure & simple... Since 100% speak English & only 1 or 2% speak Gaelic then it makes sense to broadcast in mostly English.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I think using the Gaelic on BBC Alba is a good thing, although it is less used language in Scotland, it is still an often used second language. What I do find, is the issue of changing roadsigns to BI-Lingual. Now that is a waste of council money, in the current economic climate, which will get worse if King Alec becomes leader of all he surveys.

Learning another language stretches the mind and I too feel it should be taught in schools. Why would anyone say no to a child learning anything ! I am at a loss...

I think it is a great idea. Where do I apply for my discount on the TV licence? Obviously I'm not be expected to pay for it, am I?

I tried to translate " the point" into Gaelic, but Google Translate does not have the Gaelic.

Maybe that's not really what Mr Greed was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I tried to translate " the point" into Gaelic, but Google Translate does not have the Gaelic.Maybe that's not really what Mr Greed was asking.
    It translates as 'an pointe'. Select Irish in Google translate, as the two languages are almost identical!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

The point of Gaelic is very clear. An act of parliament has given it equal status to English in Scotland and all public bodies need to deliver a Gaelic plan to a Quango directly responsable to the Scottish governemt for the promotion of Gaelic in Scotland.
    The Gaelic bill was passed unopposed in the Scottish parliament in 2005 under a labour government prodded by a very active Gaelic lobby working in the wings.
    Gaelic language is the future for scotland. They have already claimed the heritage even where there was non before.
    You havnt seen nothing yet.

the same happened in Wales, the next thing will be letters from the council etc, they will have a copy in gaelic, how much that would cost, still, iT would provide a job for a gaelic speaker [isnt there a gaelic mediun school that has a non gaelic speaking head ???]

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    the same happened in Wales, the next thing will be letters from the council etc, they will have a copy in gaelic, how much that would cost, still, iT would provide a job for a gaelic speaker [isnt there a gaelic mediun school that has a non gaelic speaking head ???]
    Thought I read something like that too, in Inverness however they had not yet appointed a head just talking about it although this could of changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_not_greed View Post
    While I think some of the programmes on BBC ALBA are great, I do wonder just how much politics (rather than common sense) is behind the reason to broadcast them in gaelic ? Just how many Hearts and St Mirren supporters speak gaelic? Get real ! I thought TV was all about viewing numbers. IMO this is another SNP policy not thought through (as most of them appear to be). If BBC Alba is for Scotland, then it should broadcast in the language which the vast majority of us speak. Debate welcome
    !
    Indeed just how many ICT or Ross County or even Wick or Brora speak it.
    Ian

As a lowland Scot I like Gaelic. it's quaint and might interest some tourists but to many it's all hull-muckadoo about nothing. For those that claim it's part of our heritage - well so are shale mines, one room terrace houses and outside toilets (along with cholera and dysentery). The world has moved on and we can wax lyrical all we want about the language but many of us have yet to be convinced what useful purpose it serves. A fifth of the world's population speaks English so let's just go with the flow.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    As a lowland Scot I like Gaelic. it's quaint and might interest some tourists but to many it's all hull-muckadoo about nothing. For those that claim it's part of our heritage - well so are shale mines, one room terrace houses and outside toilets (along with cholera and dysentery). The world has moved on and we can wax lyrical all we want about the language but many of us have yet to be convinced what useful purpose it serves. A fifth of the world's population speaks English so let's just go with the flow.
    My sentiments exactly!!!, I like BBC Alba for their coverage of Scottish Football, not all of us subscribe to the Sports Channels. Our Canadian cousins who do speak Gaelic, French and English too, tune in avidly from the Eastern seaboard provinces such as Nova Scotia & New Brunswick
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by rich62_uk View Post
    Thought I read something like that too, in Inverness however they had not yet appointed a head just talking about it although this could of changed.
    Will they appoint an unqualified, incompetent Gaelic speaking person, rather than a good candidate who speaks only modern languages?

I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I tried to translate " the point" into Gaelic, but Google Translate does not have the Gaelic.

Maybe that's not really what Mr Greed was asking.
    LOL ! I really like that sense of humour.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

When we moved up here we thought we would give learning Gaelic a go. We did 10 lessons and my god it was hard i was surprised how difficult it was and wife wife found it the same and she is a teacher who loves to learn. I think it's a great pity it isn't spoken more. We holidayed on Lewis this year and it was nice to here it being used in day to day life
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    When we moved up here we thought we would give learning Gaelic a go. We did 10 lessons and my god it was hard i was surprised how difficult it was and wife wife found it the same and she is a teacher who loves to learn. I think it's a great pity it isn't spoken more. We holidayed on Lewis this year and it was nice to here it being used in day to day life
    I had the same idea when I moved up here. Started classes in Thurso, but unfortunately there weren't enough takers for the classes to continue. I understand there are now local tutors being trained, so hopefully the classes will soon continue. I for one will be 'watching this space' as the saying goes!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    I'd give English a bit more of a bash if I were you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast