Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Lights

Default Northern Lights

After a significant coronal mass ejection on Tuesday evening there is a high probability of stunning Northern Lights over the next day or 2. Depends whether the magnetic orientation of the storm is attracted or repelled by the earths field, but if it attracts they are expecting high altitude ion storms over most of the northern hemispehere above the tropic of cancer, look up tonight!

http://www.solarcycle24.com/
    http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

Thanks for the headsup! We likely have too many city lights to be able to see anything, but I'll give it a look.

I saw them....oh no, just clouds!

I hope I get to see them tonight.....would be a first for me.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Yes unfortunately it depends on clouds, ambient light and whether or not the storm is captured. But with the right conditions it is expected to be stunning.

All aurora groups are on high alert and they have begun locking down power distributions systems across north america and powering down at risk satellites just in case.

Here's hoping the cloud clears long enough for us to see the show.

Thanks for the info Antediluvian
    You get what you give

Does anyone know any websites which offer for sale good sized photos of the Aurora Borealis?

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Does anyone know any websites which offer for sale good sized photos of the Aurora Borealis?
    This is a good one

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery.html

Wikipedia has dozens of links to aurora sites some of which have photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post

Also some local images here
    http://www.highlandeye.com/gallery.asp?catid=24&x=8&y=6

Default Northen Lights

The data shown on the SOHO Web site seems to indicate that there was probably a display between 6 and 7pm.
    Needless to say unless you were lucky it was cloudy and raining in Caithness.
    Did anyone get a glimpse ?

Colin

thanks to kas and antediluvian for the links.

Seeing the 'northern lights' is one of my wife's most cherished ambitions.
    I'd quite like too en all.

I've never seen em either.
    I think we need some kind of email warning to let everyone interested know lol.

I'm determined to see them at some point.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Lived here almost all my life and never seen them - always too cloudy

There is a glow (greyish with a hint of green) right now over Holborn Head. I went out the town but it is just a glow, no real colour or beams. I saw a shooting star though.

Keep them eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    There is a glow (greyish with a hint of green) right now over Holborn Head. I went out the town but it is just a glow, no real colour or beams. I saw a shooting star though.

Keep them eyes open.
    My daughter and I saw a shooting star Monday night in the Clyth area (obviously thats where we were, not the star lol).
    Did you wish on it? I did, still haven't seen a horse appear in my firld yet theough.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

The peak of todays storm passed earlier, its a kpi 6/7. Predictions is it will intensify over the next 2 days and should become a kpi 9.

Lots of space weather sites have e-mail warnings to highlight potential aurora activity, worth singing upto if you want a heads up of when to look out.

Clouds is always a poblem though.

And hope your horse appears soon porshie!!

Default Northern Lights

Just went outside to check, nope its too cloudy at the mo, but will look again later, i think they are a fantastic sight, and once they were that bright, my dogs were having great fun chasing around the field trying to catch the lights LOL

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Just went outside to check, nope its too cloudy at the mo, but will look again later, i think they are a fantastic sight, and once they were that bright, my dogs were having great fun chasing around the field trying to catch the lights LOL

Highlander look to Orkney now. They are glowing around the clouds.

Northern lights showing now 10.50. Just a modest display but quite visible.

A nice green glow showing above the clouds. There is also lightning in the Pentland Firth, are the 2 linked or just a coincidence.

Tried to get photos but only managed a little green blob in the sky, its nothing like what it really looked like. I must learn how to work the camera.

Default Norhtern Lights

Just been driving home from the panto tonight and saw a lovely display of lights. Green dancing across the sky. Saw three shooting stars too, but can anyone tell me what the 3 flashes were I just saw in the last 10 minutes or so. Quite clear flashes?
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - CONFUCIUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast