Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dounreay PFR rusting?

Default Dounreay PFR rusting?

I was talking to a chap who has a managerial position with one of the contractors that is clearing up the radio-activity in the listed PFR, and he said that it will be rusted beyond repair before it will be decontaminated so it can't be protected. The saltwater spray is rusting it faster than it can be repaired apparently. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Personally I'd like to see it go, it is a blight on the landscape imho.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

do you mean the "Ball" is a goner

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I was talking to a chap who has a managerial position with one of the contractors that is clearing up the radio-activity in the listed PFR, and he said that it will be rusted beyond repair before it will be decontaminated so it can't be protected. The saltwater spray is rusting it faster than it can be repaired apparently. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

i would worry if the manager got confused between DFR and PFR - DFR is the ball which is listed - don't think PFR is listed.

check with the manager in case he is decommissioning the wrong building

Quote Originally Posted by jinglejangle View Post
    i would worry if the manager got confused between DFR and PFR - DFR is the ball which is listed - don't think PFR is listed.

check with the manager in case he is decommissioning the wrong building
    It is probably me that I've got mixed up with my Ps and Ds, I thought PFR was the ball? It was the ball anyway.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Jees you had me worried there Rheggers, hubby works in Pfr, thought for a minute ther I would have to find a new job for him
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I like driving out that way and seeing 'The Ball'

One of the kids got an atlas out of the Library and at the top of it, it showed a picture of Dounreay with 'The Ball'.

First time I had ever seen something like this with a good reference to the North of Scotland and something which is very local to us on it!
    Never frown, cos you never know who will fall in love with your smile!

It is probably me that I've got mixed up with my Ps and Ds, I thought PFR was the ball? It was the ball anyway.
    DFR is the ball, and PFR is the big building next to Vulcan
    engiebenjy

Default DFR Sphere

I find it rather unlikely that the ball is rusting and about to collapse. There may be some misinformation about, since the authorities would now appear to want not to have to care and maintain the Great White Ball of Caithness.

To think that we could lose it causes a pang in me for one. It gives us a little something other places don't have.

A few years ago, we took a drive out that way and my youngest asked what that big ball thing was. I felt so guilty at her lack of knowledge, especially since I worked at Dounreay for several years.

It was and should still be painted on a routine basis, I find it hard to believe that it is in such a poor state of repair........looked not too bad the last time I saw it close up, which was only about 5-6 years ago.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

when i was a prent i worked in it & it was a rust bucket back then!!(1990!)

The actual sphere Zapster? I agree a lot of the buildings, ductwork, stack etc around the sphere were in a poor state but not the sphere itself........but I could be wrong.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Showing yer age now Zappy!!
    Doolally