Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cctv in wick

bacardibabe Guest

Default cctv in wick

about time we had cctv in wick as mentioned in the groat.money seems to be the problem,thurso have had cctv since some time now and evidence has been used in court,maybe this could be an advantage in wick.i heard about someone getting attacked by the family from hell in wick in on the main street.

Blabber Mooth Guest

Default cctv

I totally agree with what your saying. It is a thought going out in Wick with "the family from Hell" on the rampage!They seem to rule the roost in Wick! At least if the camera's were in place, then the police would have enough evidence to put these sad people behind bars...WHERE THEY BELONG! What is wrong is people are threatened and are scared to say who is behind the attacks, leaving them to roam free. Let's stop these people so that our children are not going to be subjected to assaults! Bring in CCTV!!!

Default Re: cctv

Quote Originally Posted by Blabber Mooth
    I totally agree with what your saying. Let's stop these people so that our children are not going to be subjected to assaults! Bring in CCTV!!!
    I totally agree as well. Maybe we should get a petition up to force the council to do something. thurso seems to be away ahead of us in most things.

Aye i notice Thurso is getting money to upgrade theirs, if you ask me i reckon we shouldo got them instead then Thurso get theirs upgraded with what money was left - what exactly's wrong with the ones they have it's not as if they're that old is it? It would certainly help secure a lot more convictions if we did get it in Wick.

Especially since the only reason half these people get away with it is cos they got the witnesses too scared to give evidence and a lawyer who knows how to twist people's words and try to make them look stupid. . . . . . . The best of it is they're getting it through legal aid!!

I'd like to know why Thurso got it first anyway? There's probably a higher crime rate in Wick i'd imagine??

A petition's what we need. The council have been going on about it for long enough, bout time they started putting their words in to action!

what are the police doing about this 'family from hell'? Can't they follow them and maybe catch them in the act? You should get your councillors to petiition the police and ask what is being done?

A friend of mine was beaten up by four teenagers last week outside of Woolies in Wick, he was punched and kicked to the ground, he (a 40 year old bloke) gave chase (not the wisest move) and was then surrounded by approx 15 in the council car park, one of them hit him in the face with a wooden fence post, he's now sporting a black eye and cracked nose!

Ironically he was defending two passers by who had been assaulted by the same teenagers.

CCTV in the town centre would of completely prevented those two incidents!

btw who are the 'family from hell'?
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

As we can't name names on here i've sent you a PM.

Is anyone familiar with the phrase "Ye geeing me cheek? A hink ye were biy."

bring back the stocks and public flogging. That would sort them out.

Stop blaming the Police for not 'catching' these people. Be realistic - they can't possibly be everywhere all of the time just waiting for someone to do something wrong! If you all know who is causing the trouble why don't you do something about it? I'm not talking vigilante gangs by the way, just the public spiritness that Wick can be so good at. Be prepared to stand up as a witness and encourage others to do the same. I'm aware that more trouble may result initially but if those in the right are persistant then it must surely show the bully boy cowards that they can't keep getting off with things.

There must be a community policeperson available? Ask them for advice. If the trouble is around your home get a camera and take evidence, note times and details. Don't be intimidated. A lot of people talk about the 'good old days' when policemen could clip a trouble maker round the ear - I don't think we should return to that but the idea was based around respect. Teach your own kids what that means and know where they are so that they can't get involved in trouble.

BTW what happened to the bloke beaten up in the council car park - anyone caught for it? Did any witnesses come forward?

We know the police can't be everywhere all the time that's exactly why cctv would be such a help, even if we only got it installed around high street and the main streets it would make a difference especially after the Waterfront and later on at night when a lot of these things happen.

I have discussed with the police about getting a restraining order but they say there needs to be 3 instances where i've been approached and this has to be logged with the police each time. The problem with that is i can only take an order out against one person so as soon as i've got an order against one of them a relative or relatives will start instead and anyway not everyone has the money to go to court and pay a solicitor to take out orders - it just seems we can't win.

I believe the PPP were having meetings but no one can discuss these problem people to work out a solution as they turn up at the meetings so what can ye do? It's getting to the stage in this town where people are getting sick fed up of them and vigilante gangs will take matters in to their own hands - then it'll really kick off.

the stage in this town where people are getting sick fed up of them and vigilante gangs will take matters in to their own hands - then it'll really kick off.
    I can't name names, but I know one person who did take the law into his own hands - he got his goods back and hasn't been bothered since. the family from hell are cowards at heart!
    Get the cameras up before something really serious happens!

Gravedigga - you seem to have an ongoing problem with certain individuals (who I don't know, so can't comment on) which sounds like they are making your life hell. I realise that my remarks must sound a bit condecending to you and if so please accept my apologies. I was talking in general i.e. if you see something happen in the street you should not be afraid to stand up and be a witness, however I fully understand that in cases of victimisation this may be a different matter.

Maybe the PPP can help form a neighbourhood group to build esteem and pride at which decent folk could set out how they want the area to be without allowing any slanging matches to take place (a good committee/chairperson is essential and perhaps police spokesperson) . I believe this type of approach has worked well in troubled areas in inner cities which had a lot more problems than Wick. As both Katarina and I mentioned these bullies are cowards at heart and may not feel so confident in the face of a group of people who stand against them. With any luck they would just slink off the scene!

I realise that this is getting off topic of CCTV cameras and into social problems instead. Again, my apologies. As far as the cameras go - yes, I'm for them in the areas you mention outside clubs and on main streets, they do work there. However, they are a tool and aid, not the answer, to reducing crime. The problems mentioned regarding this hellish family will not be solved by CCTV.

Someone suggested to me an anti social behaviour order may work, and looking on here http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.htm the behaviour going on up here certainly fits the criteria.

Had a look at this guide - http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.pdf it says the local police or authorities can apply for one of these, i think the info i'm looking at is for England dunno if scotland'd be the same or not??

I think CCTV is a great idea. The last time we were home, we were vexed by how run down the town, particularly the town center looked. As for the vandalism, it is my understanding that many locals know whom is causing the damage/trouble but are too intimidated to come forward. I hear that in some instances when someone has contacted the police, they may then get a window smashed or be the victim of some other act of violence to convey the message that they better not tell what they know. The harassment has been going on for some time and the violence continues. The same holds true with the drug activity in the area, many of the locals know those involved but fear keeps them silent. There is also a perception by some that the police just don't want to deal with it. I think it is encouraging to see this issue being discussed and hopefully the appropriate authorities will really focus on the problem and start dealing with it, it is troubling to think that some citizens of what should be a close knit community, live in fear.

I am encouraged by the information on this website today. I do hope things will turn around for Wick and the resulting job opportunites should play a key role in revitalizing the area.

Alas, the town is a cultrual Chernobyl. More's the pity.

Blabber Mooth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fifi
    Stop blaming the Police for not 'catching' these people
    Are you related to these police in some way? You seem to be standing up for a job NOT well done.

If you all know who is causing the trouble why don't you do something about it?
    I don't want to be battered 5 times in 1 week by THESE people for grassing on them.

Don't be intimidated
    I was brought up in Wick and THEY have always been there, but the new genereration is a lot worse!!! They dont care who or what they hurt or the damage they do to peoples property. People are scared, the police appear to do nothing and from what I've heard are scared to do anything.

A lot of people talk about the 'good old days' when policemen could clip a trouble maker round the ear
    I was brought up in those days but this is the 21st century and kids nowadays have no respect as they know too much about their own rights and what they can get away with and know how to play the system!

Fifi, it's not that I think that you are wrong it's just I don't think you've expereinced this kind of thing first hand. I think that people who have been on the receiving end of this kind of violence know exactly where I'm coming from. Its sad!

I SAY... Put THESE people on Stroma, behind a big 20ft wall... Let them eat each other, that's the kind of people they are!!!

bacardibabe Guest

Stroma sounds good, Portafield is where they should be after all the tyres they've slashed and windows they've broken, etc, etc, etc. What would they do if a gang of folk appeared outside their house?

Hey Blabber Mooth,

Yes, you're right - I have not experienced that amount of intimidation personally and so I don't know how it feels to be threatened 24/7. I have just been roasted by my partner for looking through rose-tinted glasses at the world and I suppose it's true. I just find it hard to believe that things have got so bad in Wick that they can't be put right. I also do believe that the Police do usually do a good job but, again, I have not had cause to be on the negative side of any treatment by them. As I said to Gravedigga earlier, I apologise if I seem to be over simplifying matters.

By the way, I grew up in Wick too. I think it's a great town and hate to see this kind of behaviour spoiling it's reputation.

[
    I SAY... Put THESE people on Stroma, behind a big 20ft wall... Let them eat each other, that's the kind of people they are!!![/quote]

No way do we want to pollute Stroma with these degenerates! It's a lovely place to visit in the summer. I say St Kilda!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast