Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kindle or another e-reader - views please.

Default kindle or another e-reader - views please.

OH has decided he wants an e-reader but not sure if wants a kindle, advice as to which you consider best and why please.

I have a kindle but have not even considered any other but want to find out what folk advise on here please.

Many thanks

I have the Sony E reader, they are great. More compact than kindle and writing can be made from s to xxl. Slightly dearer than kindle but when I looked into them when first out Sony came out on top and can be charger through blackberry phone charger
    jac

I have only used the kindle so am unable to comment on others. You say that you already have a kindle, if you get another one your OH will be able to access all the books in your amazon collection. I am not sure if you would be able to do this with another brand of E reader. As I am sure you know Kindle also has changeable font sizes and a micro usb charger.

Quote Originally Posted by jac1791 View Post
    I have the Sony E reader, they are great. More compact than kindle and writing can be made from s to xxl. Slightly dearer than kindle but when I looked into them when first out Sony came out on top and can be charger through blackberry phone charger
    So can the kindle as it is uses the same interface - micro usb. In fact doing some research I see there are problems with Sony e-readers accepting some micro usb chargers, where as my kindle will use any one I have tried. So I would not say this is a plus point, at best it is the same as the Kindle.

To OP - I love my kindle and couldn't be without it. Saying that it was a gift so I did not do any research before getting it so do not know the main differences between different ones. Maybe if you advised what you are looking for in the e-reader people can advise further.

One BIG plus with the kindle is the customer service though. Break it and they replace it very quickly, with minimum questions and arrange pick up of the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    OH has decided he wants an e-reader but not sure if wants a kindle, advice as to which you consider best and why please.

I have a kindle but have not even considered any other but want to find out what folk advise on here please.

Many thanks
    If u both have a kindle with the same account can u not share ure books.? Failing that would it be worth paying a we bit more and get a tablet then it can do more and u can get kindle apps

I love my tablet...its a bit heavier and thicker than a kindle(but not by much) but I can surf the web, play games and email and read books!
    Using wifi I can access the web out and about..or read a book...or keep the kids occupied while waiting for one ballet class to finish etc...
    Have the kindle app on it ....and the books go straight on the tab as well as the puter...so wondering if they go on the puter can they be exported to another device?

I love my kindle, though if I had a tablet I'd probably love that.

Kindle just read books, but its fantastic at it.

It can play music or read the book too you if you want as well, but that'll hammer the battery, with only reading, the battery lasts for ages,

Thanks for all your comments, still not sure what to get but you have some good ideas and given me food for thought.

Keep the opinions coming please

Kindle for me. I have the 3G version. You can connect to the Internet at any time and although sometimes sluggish depending on signal it works. I have checked e mails with it and downloading books is not a problem. Where no 3G you get GNPS? which does similar job. I've stood at the bus stop in Wick a few times and downloaded a new read waiting on the bus to arrive. If you can afford it then buy the Kindle cover with the inbuilt reading light. Even powering this light the battery life is in weeks not days. The font size is easy to increase. Mine's is set a size above default. It's an age thing!
    You'll never talk alone!

I bought my wife a Nook and she is quite happy with it. I'm not knowledgeable about these E machines so will not comment beyond the Nook.

The kindle is a good ereader.
    EPUB is the universal eReader format. The kindle can only read PDF and amazon's own MOBI format. They offer a service to convert an EPUB to MOBI if you buy a book elsewhere.

You may also want to check your local library. The Kindle can be supported on some library ebooks but not all.

It really is up to you if you want to use MOBI or the universal EPUB format.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Hubbie has a Kindle - 3G because he travels a lot - and is delighted with it. Saves him having to pack loads of books when he is going away!

I really was not keen on having one but gave in a couple of weeks ago and got the basic one. Absolutely delighted with it - have down loaded lots of free books from Amazon and also bought a couple.

I cannot download books which my hubbie has as we have separate Amazon accounts so my kindle is registered to my account - would have to have them both registered to same account to enable us to share books.
    Everyone's a critic ...............

I'm guessing you mean an e-reader and not a tablet, don't get a tablet for reading books. I have a Kindle 3/Keyboard BTW and I recommend you get a Kindle.

You basically only have two, possibly three choices. The Kindle, Nook or Kobo. The other e-readers just can't compete. The problem with the Nook and the Kobo - well one of the problems in my opinion - is that they're a bit US centric. Given the market dominance of Amazon and their excellent customer service regarding the Kindle, I'd go with it.

I have a Kindle and love it. My husband has a Kindle Fire (which we can't get over here yet) and I'd love to be able to upgrade to one of those!!
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

My OH has a Kindle and when I had a problem downloading books from Amazon (I had changed my browser and some settings needed changed) a couple of hours after e-mailing them a real person with a UK accent phoned and told me what was probably wrong - excellent customer support!

My daughter and mother in-law both have the Kindle Fire and love it. I also put on a converter which was easily done, so they can read books on all formats.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldchemist View Post
    My OH has a Kindle and when I had a problem downloading books from Amazon (I had changed my browser and some settings needed changed) a couple of hours after e-mailing them a real person with a UK accent phoned and told me what was probably wrong - excellent customer support!
    what does the call cantre operatives accent have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Large John Was Aware View Post
    what does the call cantre operatives accent have to do with anything?
    You can understand them I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear1873 View Post
    You can understand them I presume.
    oh so unless someone talks with a British accent they cannot be understood then?
    Strange that, I have no trouble in conversation with American's, Australian's, Canadian's and countless other foreign nationals.

[QUOTE=Large John Was Aware;949867]oh so unless someone talks with a British accent they cannot be understood then?
    Strange that, I have no trouble in conversation with American's, Australian's, Canadian's and countless other foreign nationals.[/QUO

You obviously haven't been to the Deep South where I live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast