Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wait I thought Macs didn't get viruses/malware/trojans?

Default Wait I thought Macs didn't get viruses/malware/trojans?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422 (Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware')

Anything can be infected. it's ultimately down to the person who setup and is in control of the system, yes some are inherently more secure (Linux, Unix, Solaris, Proper BSDs) but it really depends on the user, system administrator or IT department and if they know what they're doing. Anything that is badly setup can be compromised. I'm not even talking about antivirus because in many ways that's security theatre; you can't come up with a technical solution for a people problem and all that, yes it's good idea to put it on client and user systems but I've never ran it on a personal system in my life.

What do u think is better windows or mac ?

windows keep the rain out of the house but a mac keeps it off you when your out so both very useful.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    What do u think is better windows or mac ?
    It's all relative it depends on your needs or what you use it for.

Im not to bothered about playing games ive got ps3 for that i just want to buy something that will last me last laptop i got 4years out if its broken now i just surf. Use word but might want to get into using 3d cad.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422 (Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware')

Anything can be infected. it's ultimately down to the person who setup and is in control of the system, yes some are inherently more secure (Linux, Unix, Solaris, Proper BSDs) but it really depends on the user, system administrator or IT department and if they know what they're doing. Anything that is badly setup can be compromised. I'm not even talking about antivirus because in many ways that's security theatre; you can't come up with a technical solution for a people problem and all that, yes it's good idea to put it on client and user systems but I've never ran it on a personal system in my life.
    Lol! One of the first things I did when I got back from the States was to check my Mac for Flashback. I'm happy to report that it wasn't infected.