Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American justice

Default American justice

Just wondering what everyone thinks on a man being sent to America to face a charge and being refused bail. Why has our goverment allowed the extradition of one of our citizens to face trial in a country that does not use our judicial process, has the death penalty and the alleged crime was not commited in the said country.It cou;d happen to any one of us. We can't ask for an American to come here to face trial.It shows the complete arrogance of the Americans and the pandering to them by our governments. I'm so angry at this. The man may be guilty of what ever he is accused of but to keep someone in solitary confinement 23 hrs a day with no access to reading material is not the standard to which we work. Shame on this country for allowing this.

My Opinion - just wondering if anyone thought the same ---- Rant over (for the moment)

It's because the British Governexcrement is America's puppet, and always will be. As far as I'm aware, America has never allowed one of its citizens to be extradited, and never will, it sees itself above every other country, it uses it's economic might and threat of sanctions to get its way. A country so arrogant, it refused to join the UN unless the HQ was in America, and for a long time Congress refused to ratify the payment of its dues unless America gots its way. It is a country bereft of scruples, is morally bankrupt, and the sooner it stops interfering in other countries business, especially countries that just happen to produce oil, the better off the world will be.

I guess if I ever visit America I'll be detained on arrival and put on the next plane home for my anti-American rant!

Can't do the time don't do the crime-simples

If he is innocent as protested he will have nothing to worry about.
    joxville - you are not Abu Qatada are you? if so I thought you were banned from the internet as part of your release conditions.

That's what they told Sacco and Vanzetti...
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

going back a bit there are we not?
    Does this British gentlemans alleged crime carry the death penalty?

I did not say that it did and do not know.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Can't do the time don't do the crime-simples
    Innocent until proven guilty. We don't treat our prisoners in such inhumane ways. Selling batteries to Iran for missiles, was this crime commited in America? Surely this is an international concern not a purely American one . But then again I guess the Amercans and ourselves do have a moral high ground on selling arms to savage governments - I mean you'd never catch our two countries doing that.
    Irrelevant whether he is guilty or not, my question is why should we send our own to be judged by others , surely the British government had as much concern over this case as the Americans.
    And remember when they demanded our justice sec to appear before the senate to answer the Megrahi case, can you imagine if we demanded one of their politicians?

Agree with you Joxville and Spurtle but I blame UK government for allowing any person who has residential rights here to be extradited to any country to stand trial for what that country considers to be a crime but not even a supposed crime committed in that country.

Like you Jox I would be turned away on landing - except nowadays think you have to apply for some other form of prewarning that you are going across to that continent which of course costs you and you can be turned down, no questions.

Since a cruise in Caribbean when had a quite a bit of delay with USA Customs and Immigration, I told them what I thought of their attitude and treeatment - USA ship docked after us but all but 2 of clearance people left to work on that ship - told 6 hours after ship docked I could go ashore - told them very politely that afdter such treatment do you think I would spend MY money supporting their economy - think long and hard again.
    Many of the staff and other passengers came up and thanked me for making my very pointed comments. Never did get a reply to letters about that incident from the President or the office I contacted in UK!

10.10.10 was in London for lunch, it was pals birthday - 14 were meeting for lunch, some old acquaintances some new amongst them. Had been chatting to a friend from long ago I had not kept in touch with, she introduced me to her new partner, been chatting for sometime when pal came up and said to the couple that I now lived in Stornoway, Western Isles. Within seconds the fellow had disappeared but did not think too much about it, he sat furtherest possible from me and later at the Savoy (opening day) again furthest possible - only when I got back to pals house and watched news did behaviour of this friends partner make sense, that was the day the USA admitted they had been responsible for the death of the British aid worked held in Afghanistan, Linda Norgrove who just happened to belong to Lewis. This new partner is in a senior position in their embassy - what is the chance of accompanying new partner for lunch with a few friends and one of them living on Lewis and your country has just admitted that day to killing a woman from Lewis.

I was scheduled to fly on 12 September 2001 to Toronto, managed to get on first flight leaving Glasgow to Toronto on the Friday following, attending a christening outside Toronto. Went to visit relations in Michigan after that, to witness the madness and suspicion of the people was absolutely astounding. They beleive the world revolves around USA and their 9/11 - they forget many many other countries suffered many deaths that day too, all of the peole were not USA residents.

I personally will not be visiting USA ever again, I will not spend any of my money supporting such a nation.
    Last edited by pat; 06-Mar-12 at 10:10.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    going back a bit there are we not?
    Does this British gentlemans alleged crime carry the death penalty?
    It does not. But it's the principle. It is not an outside chance that a Brit may be on holiday and finds themselves be in the wrong place at the wrong time and be accused of something that carries the death sentence, there have been many high profile cases where there have been injustices in the states , would you want to take the chance ? It could happen to any one of us.

I forgot ,is there not a factory near Thurso who makes such batteries? You never know the States may think you've been doing the same thing - get your orange jumpsuits ready

He was denied bail because he was deemed a "Danger to the community" is he going to stick batteries on their tongues or something.

The question is not American Justice but the 2003 Extradition Act whipped up by Tony Bliar.
    Tappin (it would appear to me) has been a silly man, unfortunately he has meddled with the US & their defence systems contrary to their Arms Export act (like many Western Govt's (including our own) they change each week who is friend or foe to sell weapons too).
    As Ducati said "Can't do the time don't do the crime-simples".
    Last edited by Phill; 06-Mar-12 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    The question is not American Justice but the 2003 Extradition Act whipped up by Tony Bliar.
    Tappin (it would appear to me) has been a silly man, unfortunately he has meddled with the US & their defence systems contrary to their Arms Export act (like many Western Govt's (including our own) they change each week who is friend or foe to sell weapons too).
    As Ducati said "Can't do the time don't do the crime-simples".
    He sold batteries, should we restrict people selling metal because it could be used to make a gun or a missile.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    He sold batteries, should we restrict people selling metal because it could be used to make a gun or a missile.
    He 'sold' batteries that "their only use was for the Hawk Missile system."
    He appears to be an illegal arms dealer, he required export licences for this defence technology, he didn't obtain those licences.

A tad different from Duracell sending a load of 9v PP3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    He 'sold' batteries that "their only use was for the Hawk Missile system."
    He appears to be an illegal arms dealer, he required export licences for this defence technology, he didn't obtain those licences.

A tad different from Duracell sending a load of 9v PP3's.
    Give me one of those batteries & I bet you I could find a plethora of things that I could power with it.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Give me one of those batteries & I bet you I could find a plethora of things that I could power with it.
    Maybe you can, but you'd need to get a licence to export from the US, or ensure your supplier has a license to export. Also you may require UK licenses to import.
    Having done that, then yes, you can go and play with your new battery.

But when you ask the supplier to forge documents to present to customs and the battery your buying is a Hawk Missile battery and as such requires an export licence, then your being a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    The key word you used there was could.
    This gent WAS selling batteries to Iran FOR their weapons.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46624708
    I just love it when you all jump on the 'bash the yank' bandwagon. read the link, the man has a really good chance of walking soon.
    Last edited by Joefitz; 06-Mar-12 at 14:48. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast