Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The date is set!!!

Default The date is set!!!

Ok, the date is set for the referendum.
    The biggest decision the Scottish people have had to make for 300 years.

Autumn 2014 cant come quick enough for me, what about you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16478121

C3................
    Last edited by Corrie 3; 10-Jan-12 at 20:48. Reason: Link added.

End of the union by 2015

Bring it on!!! Its exciting and hopefully it will lead to a vibrant and enthusiastic debate! Fantastic!

will it be a mass debate?
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

It is up to the people of Scotland to decide their future.

However I have to make two observations.

1 I do not believe that it is Mr Salmond's legal right to hold a referendum on the UK. That is the prerogative of the UK Parliament. He might try to swing such a thing with populist sentiment, but the fact remains that in law his constitutional right to do so is dubious.

2 If someone is prepared to over-ride or stretch their constitutional powers in pursuit of political ends, then that person needs watching very carefully.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

It appears that independence is popular north and south of the border.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/i...nce-referendum
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post

1 I do not believe that it is Mr Salmond's legal right to hold a referendum on the UK. That is the prerogative of the UK Parliament. He might try to swing such a thing with populist sentiment, but the fact remains that in law his constitutional right to do so is dubious.

2 If someone is prepared to over-ride or stretch their constitutional powers in pursuit of political ends, then that person needs watching very carefully.
    But dont you get it John, no one tells us scots what to do, no one! Its just the UK govt meddling for no reason other than wanting to tell us what to do. Dont you get it!! Dont you get it!! You unpatriotic fooooooool! Heathen!!! HEEEEAAAATHEN!!!! I HAVE A PYRE HERE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT!!!!!

The consultation paper makes for interesting reading, saying the UK govt has asked Holyrood since winning the election for details on their proposed referendum. Nothing has been forthcoming.

Of course it has nothing to do with the fact the commonwealth games and the battle of bannockburn anniversary will be around then.
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    But dont you get it John, no one tells us scots what to do, no one! Its just the UK govt meddling for no reason other than wanting to tell us what to do. Dont you get it!! Dont you get it!! You unpatriotic fooooooool! Heathen!!! HEEEEAAAATHEN!!!! I HAVE A PYRE HERE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT!!!!!

The consultation paper makes for interesting reading, saying the UK govt has asked Holyrood since winning the election for details on their proposed referendum. Nothing has been forthcoming.

Of course it has nothing to do with the fact the commonwealth games and the battle of bannockburn anniversary will be around then.
    Of course the Tories want us to hurry up and leave the Union. With the loss of Labour seats in Scotland the Tories will have control of what is left of the Union for years and years to come!!!

C3.......

Now only a nationlist could think (I they do such things) like that!
    There are basically 3 type of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant

Now only a nationlist could think (I they do such things) like that!
    Aye weeze but think about it......If Scotland left then the Tories have it all sewn up, no one else can catch them can they? And we have always been a thorn in their side !!!

C3...................

I am in complete agreement with your first statement, but find your subsequent comments to be contradictory.

Can you tell me what words in UK law or constitution prohibit Scots from self-determination ?

Alex salmond and the SNP make a great fuss about independence. However if Scotland does decide to leave the UK, he will sign us up to the EU. Will someone tell me where the independence is in that?

You may find this of interest John. http://weegiewarbler.blogspot.com/20...89272979532260

And you are of course right in your second point. Cameron does need watching closely!

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    And you are of course right in your second point. Cameron does need watching closely!
    As does Wee Fat Eck!!! his party want to lower the age of voters on the referendum to 16. aye right!!!
    Last edited by golach; 11-Jan-12 at 00:58.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Why would you deny 16 year olds the right to vote Golach? Maybe we should deny the right to vote to those who are over 60, because some of them seem to be losing their marbles by this age!

Anyone for tennis.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Why would you deny 16 year olds the right to vote Golach? Maybe we should deny the right to vote to those who are over 60, because some of them seem to be losing their marbles by this age!
    The voting age is well established in the couitnry and has been for blody years. Its 18. He wil harm his case he is effectivly trying to get children to vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    I am in complete agreement with your first statement, but find your subsequent comments to be contradictory.

Can you tell me what words in UK law or constitution prohibit Scots from self-determination ?
    I have never stated that there is anything in the law of the UK or of its constitution which prohibits Scots from having self determination.

However, as it is constituted we are a union and the right of calling referendums rests with the government of the Union.

How could it be otherwise?

If it did not, and the only qualifying factor for calling a referendum was the right of self determination, then what is to stop anywhere that wishes calling a referendum? Yorkshire would probably secede immediately.

Automatic right to secede by the calling of a plebiscite would make all federal government meaningless.

However you have piqued my curiosity - in Canada, was it the Canadian government or the Quebecois government who had the power to call the referendum?
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

You may find this of interest John. http://weegiewarbler.blogspot.com/20...89272979532260

Thank you for that - very interesting. I have no doubt that we will see many such articles in the coming weeks.

There is one issue which she does not address and it is the main one. This is not actually a question of 'Independence'.

It's a question of 'sovereignty'.

In other words, where is the power vested in the United Kingdom?

Some powers have been specifically devolved to the Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh parliaments.

Others have not.

On the question of Sovereignty in the United Kingdom there is absolutely no doubt - it rests with the Queen in Parliament.

In other words, if Mr Salmond attempts to carry through a sovereign act for which the power has not been devolved, then he exceeds his powers.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

The voting age is well established in the couitnry and has been for blody years. Its 18. He wil harm his case he is effectivly trying to get children to vote for him.

Dumb argument Weezer, even by your standards. By that kind of reasoning, we wouldn't change anything. We'd still have poorhouses, debtors prisons, capital punishment! Surely you can do better than that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast