Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caithness Flag

Default Caithness Flag

Hello, was wondering if there has ever been a recognised or semi recognised flag for Caithness?

If not would it be a good idea to have one? What do you all think?

thanks

I'm not against the idea, but having seen the mess that is "Caithness tartan", I dread to think what we'd end up with!!!
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Thanks for that John, hopefully get some sensible, constructive thoughts this time round.

The one - I've not seen the tartan so wouldn't like to say.

Do you think a flag could have a positive effect here like in the Northern Isles?

Quote Originally Posted by Restlessnative View Post
    The one - I've not seen the tartan so wouldn't like to say.
    Here you go:

http://www.mcallans.com/info/caithnesstartan.asp

Not to my taste at all I'm afraid.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Nope not my sort of thing either, but how did they come up with this tartan? Was it funded with public money with a open design competition judged by the public or was it designed by a buisness for trying to make money?

Does caithness not have more of a Norse connection rather than the sterotypical Scottish clan history with tartan everywhere?

Seem to remember something about a Caithness flag donkey's years ago. Can'think what colour it was/is but I'm sure it had a primula in the centre of it. Maybe thirsaloon could help, there's not much about the place that he doesn't know.

Why not just settle for the Skull and Crossbones? It's about right for Caithness!!

C3.............

9. Default

Nope not my sort of thing either, but how did they come up with this tartan? Was it funded with public money with a open design competition judged by the public or was it designed by a buisness for trying to make money?

Does caithness not have more of a Norse connection rather than the sterotypical Scottish clan history with tartan everywhere?
    Clan Gunn is of Norse origin from the name Guinn
    Clan Sinclair was founded by William Saint-Clair of Norman decent and the
    Sutherland name derives from the norse Sudrland.

A few other Clans are of non Scottish origin too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Why not just settle for the Skull and Crossbones? It's about right for Caithness!!

C3.............
    Ah harrr wee laddie, a flag true to fly, give yersel a dram and celebrate yer booty, 3 pieces of eight all roond.. ah harrr...

Angel...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Clan Gunn is of Norse origin from the name Guinn
    Clan Sinclair was founded by William Saint-Clair of Norman decent and the
    Sutherland name derives from the norse Sudrland.

A few other Clans are of non Scottish origin too.
    Thanks Mr Potato, that's exaclty along the lines I was thinking. Would it be benifitial to the area to press more toward this like the like the Northern Isle have. They both have healthy tourist trade's based heavily around their Norse connections. Would it help Caithnessians have a stronger sence of identity that everyone's proud of, which in turn could help boost local moral.

You never know maybe skull and cross bones could be incorporated if somebody took the idea and ran with it.

There is plenty government money out there for these types of projects it's just finding the correct people to access it.

Thanks Mr Potato, that's exaclty along the lines I was thinking. Would it be benifitial to the area to press more toward this like the like the Northern Isle have. They both have healthy tourist trade's based heavily around their Norse connections. Would it help Caithnessians have a stronger sence of identity that everyone's proud of, which in turn could help boost local moral.
    I admire any attempts to boost tourism trade in the area, but I think the lack of a flag would be the least of the obstacles needing overcome!

As has been mentioned on here before, and as is clear to see if you travel south, Caithness gets very little promotion and is indeed often deliberately ignored by those working in the tourist information services and Visit Scotland etc. The general advice is visit Inverness, then pass through Caithness to get to Orkney.

There is plenty government money out there for these types of projects it's just finding the correct people to access it.
    Being "pro norse" in Caithness might be seen as "anti-gaelic", which goes against the govenments agenda. And highlighting that north clans have Norse origins, or that the Sinclairs, Gunns, Mackays and Sutherlands were pro-British, fighting against Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden also goes against the grain.

Good luck!

- Charles de Gaulle

Thanks for you comment, bit negative tho which I wasn't expecting..... Orkney maybe gets the tourists because they all stand together and promote the Islands. They don't have the best Whisky in the world anymore which I'm delighted about after my visit to Highland park last month having them tell me that it is the best in the world countless times.

The goverment will throw money at anything, there are lots of different bodies to approch. It's not anti gaelic or anti British.... it's pro money

Thanks for you comment, bit negative tho which I wasn't expecting.....
    Haha, I've got a habit of being pessimistic about things like this.

Orkney maybe gets the tourists because they all stand together and promote the Islands. They don't have the best Whisky in the world anymore which I'm delighted about after my visit to Highland park last month having them tell me that it is the best in the world countless times.
    I'd maybe disagree. Orkney (imo) has more attractions than Caithness, although I would concede they advertise and market them better. Take away wildlife spotting, walking or fishing and I find it very hard to fill a visitors day with "attractions" in Caithness. I hope that can improve!

The goverment will throw money at anything, there are lots of different bodies to approch. It's not anti gaelic or anti British.... it's pro money
    As I say, good luck with that!

- Charles de Gaulle

. They don't have the best Whisky in the world anymore which I'm delighted about after my visit to Highland park last month having them tell me that it is the best in the world countless times.
    Ach away ye go, Highland Park has won more awards world wide than Old Poultney has ever done. It was one mans opinion that it was the best whisky in the World, as my owld faither taught me a long time ago, "There are no bad whiskies, just some are better than others".
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Ach away ye go, Highland Park has won more awards world wide than Old Poultney has ever done. It was one mans opinion that it was the best whisky in the World, as my owld faither taught me a long time ago, "There are no bad whiskies, just some are better than others".
    Highland Park, Cask Strength, is by far the best whisky I've ever tasted! But then it's all about each person's personal taste!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Maybe it was just one mans just opinion but I'm sure Highland park would rather had their whisky named his favourite tiple? Anyway it's good for Caithness and should be capitalised on.

Yes maybe we have slightly less tourist attraction I'm not sure, but stills there's quiet alot of good things for visitors in Caithness and it saves a ferry fare.

I've not researched this so don't knock me if I'm wrong.

Paintballing, quad biking, countless old castles, castle of Mey, Dunbeath castle, clan Gunn museum, gardening centres, one of the best seafood restaurants in the UK, brochs galore, hunting, fishing, walking, bird watching, John'O'Groats, Duncansbay stacks, wildlife tours and sighseeing, harbour days, bonfires, gala weeks, surfing competition and surfing school, camster cairns, laidhay croft meseum, dunnet forest, JOG-Lands end events and visversa, good hotels, dounreay visitor centre, Mey selections, Old pultney Distillery, swimming pools, maryannes cottage, music festival, untill not so long ago a cinema, clay pigeon shooting, county show, caithness horizons, beautiful old buildings, flow country, golf course 3 of, reids bakers great biscuits, potteries, and probably many many more.

There are a few things to be positive about
    Last edited by Restlessnative; 26-Nov-11 at 15:21.

And most of all, the beautiful scenery!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Maybe it was just one mans just opinion but I'm sure Highland park would rather had their whisky named his favourite tiple? Anyway it's good for Caithness and should be capitalised on.

Yes maybe we have slightly less tourist attraction I'm not sure, but stills there's quiet alot of good things for visitors in Caithness and it saves a ferry fare.

I've not researched this so don't knock me if I'm wrong.

Paintballing, quad biking, countless old castles, castle of Mey, Dunbeath castle, clan Gunn museum, gardening centres, one of the best seafood restaurants in the UK, brochs galore, hunting, fishing, walking, bird watching, John'O'Groats, Duncansbay stacks, wildlife tours and sighseeing, harbour days, bonfires, gala weeks, surfing competition and surfing school, camster cairns, laidhay croft meseum, dunnet forest, JOG-Lands end events and visversa, good hotels, dounreay visitor centre, Mey selections, , swimming pools, maryannes cottage, music festival, untill not so long ago a cinema, clay pigeon shooting, county show, caithness horizons, beautiful old buildings, flow country, golf course 3 of, reids bakers great biscuits, potteries, and probably many many more.There are a few things to be positive about
    Agree with the majority of the above with the exception of Old Poultney, canna stand its taste, maybe its a Thursa / Week thing but would add Far North Soaps to your list.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

How about a blue flag (representing sea and sky) with a white ball in the middle (representing the Dounreay dome)? Proportions could be similar to the Japanese flag.

Personally, I'd prefer not to see any more flags with crosses, but that is just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast