Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Independence

Default Independence

You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

As long as Shrek is in charge here is one who does not want it
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

The independence debate has been done to death on here.

"My stance" on the article is two fold.

Firstly, I rarely believe these polls

and,

I also wonder why the SNP don't just bite the bullet and hold the referendum.

One question I do have, if the vote is "No", how long should it be until another referendum is allowed?
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    I dont have a stance so far. I can't find what the question was.

I would ask where in Scotland the pole was conducted. If it was in Edinburgh I would not believe the result. The population of Edinburgh is about 20% Scots and the rest are Australian

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I would ask where in Scotland the pole was conducted. If it was in Edinburgh I would not believe the result. The population of Edinburgh is about 20% Scots and the rest are Australian
    We in Auld Reekie are multi cultured, The Oz sheilas pulling pints in bars are becoming fewer, they are being replaced by bonny Eastern European lassies, we have a beeg Italian community also, oh aye we have sooooo many Italian Restaurants to choose from. Every corner shop is owned and staffed by nationals from the Indian sub continent. Many of our bus drivers are Polish I could go on and on, but I better mention the Canadian community too.
    Beware Eck and his policies I suspect his party are going to change the voting age for the Referendum to 16 years old, that way they will be assured of getting their evil way. Dinna say I didna warn you.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Bring it on!!!
    C3

If I'd been asked this question 5 years ago I'd have said keep the Union as I thought we're stronger together (although in my heart I'd want to see an Independent Scotland). Now I'm not so sure and I'm open to persusian. Although I don't agree with all the SNP decisions (but then that's true of any party) on the whole I think they've been good for Scotland. Especially now when you consider the fact we have a Government in Westminster which is completely unrepresentative of the political will of Scotland.

Put an 'ad' in the poll-takers name on this one

I think England should be the same as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and also have its own government, and keep the union under one Federal government. That system works well with the American and Australian states.
    But as someone has already said this subject has been hammered out many times already on the Org.
    Last edited by Whitewater; 16-Oct-11 at 22:19.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Oh for crying out loud, not this thread again...

• I'm in favour of full independence, though depending on the construction of a federal system I'd also support that. Failing that I'd settle for more financial control.
    • In fairness, that particular poll had a very small sample size so it's not necessary indicative of anything.
    • Is it really constructive to decide political issues on how you think the leaders looks.
    • Perhaps they aren't holding the referendum yet because it's a complicated issue requiring much thought and debate.

On a side note I notice a lot of complaints about the Scottish government planning to lower the voting age to 16.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Oh for crying out loud, not this thread again...
    • I'm in favour of full independence, though depending on the construction of a federal system I'd also support that. Failing that I'd settle for more financial control.
    • In fairness, that particular poll had a very small sample size so it's not necessary indicative of anything.
    • Is it really constructive to decide political issues on how you think the leaders looks.
    • Perhaps they aren't holding the referendum yet because it's a complicated issue requiring much thought and debate.
    On a side note I notice a lot of complaints about the Scottish government planning to lower the voting age to 16.
    Hasn't everything, been done to death, on here.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

An independand Scotland, no, no and thrice no
    An independant Great Britian, yes I think that would be fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I take it you're referring to Europe? How is that different from wanting independence for parts of the UK, I often laugh when those who are anti-Europe throw around arguments and then complain when the same arguments are thrown back at then by parts of the UK that want to be independent.

I am not making any such arguments, merely passing my opinion that great britian should remain as is and that we should (as a nation) pull out of Europe.
    Currently we pay tens of millions per day to be part of Europe only to be dictated to by Brussels, oh yes and also bailing out the plate smashers.
    its time the trigger was pulled

You get my vote without reservations.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

I am not making any such arguments, merely passing my opinion that great britian should remain as is and that we should (as a nation) pull out of Europe.
    Currently we pay tens of millions per day to be part of Europe only to be dictated to by Brussels, oh yes and also bailing out the plate smashers.
    its time the trigger was pulled
    Oh the irony is exquisite, compounded by the fact that can't see it.

Nothing exists in a vacuum don't bail out parts of Europe see what happens to the banks, not the I care they should have failed and been nationalised back in 2008. Though it will also damaged British business.

I wonder if these people who want to pull out of Europe realise how much that will damage trade and business again.

Anyway so let me get this straight: If you're say, 487 miles from the seat of your government, they're your traditional local nice men who're proudly overseeing your life. If they're 597 miles away though, they're evil unelected bureaucrats running on the gravy train and just looking out for weird people who speak a slightly different language than you do.

What has logistics got to do with it?
    Great Britian should be governed by the British not Brussels.

When do we call time on handing the Greeks hundreds of million Euros? what do they bring to the party anyway besides Olives and broken plates?
    They should be removed from the eurozone and fed to the dogs

mi16 for Prime Minister! Most sensible thing I have heard in ages!

What has logistics got to do with it?
    Great Britian should be governed by the British not Brussels.

When do we call time on handing the Greeks hundreds of million Euros? what do they bring to the party anyway besides Olives and broken plates?
    They should be removed from the eurozone and fed to the dogs
    Be careful, the EU and the Eurozone are two separate things.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast