Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Grid forecasts 2832MW out of 3731MW possible on 3rd October 2011

Default National Grid forecasts 2832MW out of 3731MW possible on 3rd October 2011

Yet another puerile thread about what the National Grid are saying about wind power. 76% of capacity performance, oh golly gosh how interesting!!

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Does that mean the winds doing to pick up? How interesting!

Just a thought Rheghead, can you do us some similar graphs of hydro power vs rainfall, solar power vs sunshine and how much electricity we are going to use power streetlights vs darkness. That would be quite helpful. Oh, and one of those graphs that show how many kettles get turned on in the adverts of Coronation Street.

4. Default

Golly gosh indeed,how very intreresting.A new double act.Have you thought of name yet?

Rheghead, let them revel in their joy of finding out what we knew before the turn of the last century. They might even understand it eventually - although, at the rate ywindy is going, it won't be before the next turn of the century - by which time the storage problem will be well solved.

quite surprised naywindy hasn't posted that forecast yet.

His attitude to these things would seem to be rather like tugmistress just telling us when it's going to be - in the words of the bbc news idiots - another lovely day. Rather than providing useful information such as when we can expect wheely bin races
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Yeah bu if they prodice too much then they will neeedd to pay to turn them off for a while. Cant you see the quandry here!!

I think the way forward id to get rid of electricity all together

Yeah- but if one big windmill produces enough power for loads of houses, then if each house had a windmill on it we would not need the big windmills and everyone could produce their own...

D'oh - my brain hurts....
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Today Mrs Beks has been doing a bit of walking (20 miles) around the Westerdale, Halkirk, Scotscalder area and the Causeymire Wind Farm was in view all the time, the thing that struck us was that all that day not one of the 21 turbines there were turning - the wind was nowhere near enough to force shutdown, is it another case where the National Grid can't take the extra power from them, and becomes another wind farm that's paid a fortune for not producing?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    Yeah bu if they prodice too much then they will neeedd to pay to turn them off for a while. Cant you see the quandry here!!

I think the way forward id to get rid of electricity all together
    Very windy days change from problem to solution once you've solved the storage problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    the wind was nowhere near enough to force shutdown, is it another case where the National Grid can't take the extra power from them, and becomes another wind farm that's paid a fortune for not producing?
    Dunno, but it looks like it was also windy enough for Northlink to get paid for not sailing!

Tuesday 4th October - 06:30 and 11:00 sailings from Stromness, and 08:45 and 13:15 sailings from Scrabster, have been cancelled and replaced by combined sailings departing Stromness at 09:00 and Scrabster at 12:00 - Source = Northlink website.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Very windy days change from problem to solution once you've solved the storage problem.
    SiS, What if there is no solution to the storage problem? Nobody has one right now. There are lots of ideas, but none of them big enough, and none of them working right now. But every day, more and more wind energy is connected to a system that can't distribute it to a consumer base that doesn't need it, and certainly can't afford it. How do you see this storage problem being resolved?
    My favourite book http://www.withouthotair.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    SiS, What if there is no solution to the storage problem? Nobody has one right now. There are lots of ideas, but none of them big enough, and none of them working right now. But every day, more and more wind energy is connected to a system that can't distribute it to a consumer base that doesn't need it, and certainly can't afford it. How do you see this storage problem being resolved?
    I'm LMAO at you!

How can that be your favourite book if you can't answer my question about your silly assumption? You haven't read it, have you? Or if you have read it, you clearly haven't understood much of it.

I read it years ago.

I'm LMAO at you!

How can that be your favourite book if you can't answer my question about your silly assumption? You haven't read it, have you? Or if you have read it, you clearly haven't understood much of it.

I read it years ago.
    OK SiS. I don't know what LMAO means but I guess you are annoyed. I have thought about my "silly assumption" which we have agreed was an expectation rather than a hypothesis which is a starting point to test a theory. I did set out to check the reality of certain wind industry and government claims but not to prove any preconceived outcome. If you read my Report carefully (and its a cracking good read), you will find that there is almost no personal intellectual input, just facts from impeccable sources. So I give up. Do your worst. Show me up. What was my "silly assumption?

I'm LMAO at you!

I read it years ago.
    Yes I thought that. We are still waiting...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Dunno, but it looks like it was also windy enough for Northlink to get paid for not sailing!

Tuesday 4th October - 06:30 and 11:00 sailings from Stromness, and 08:45 and 13:15 sailings from Scrabster, have been cancelled and replaced by combined sailings departing Stromness at 09:00 and Scrabster at 12:00 - Source = Northlink website.
    Well the ones at Forss were turning when we left and those two lots over Wick/ Achairn way were going too, really don't think the wind was too strong.. Source: eyes
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Use the excess power to pump water up a hill then use it as hydro power when theres no wind or too much. Probably too simple, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Use the excess power to pump water up a hill then use it as hydro power when theres no wind or too much. Probably too simple, just a thought.
    As a complete layman in these matters I have to say that seems to solve the problem. Store the power as water and use it later. Simple it may be David - but elegant!

No doubt someone will come along and say why it can't be so...
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    David, yer idea is totally feasable and I can see no reason why it cant and shouldnt be used as storage! Makes complete sense to me anyway. Weel done.

Cue complaints from heaps of people living near large bodies of water that pumping apparatus has been installed, ruining their view of said hill, ruining the environment, and raising the cost fo electricity again for users to jump on here and complain about.

How about you all just shut up about it and get on with it? Perhaps thats to old fashioned

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast