Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ordering on ebay

Default ordering on ebay

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has ever ordered something from china before through ebay?
    I am wanting to order something that is going to cost over £200 and my partner has doubts of if we will actually recieve the goods or not once we pay for it

i ordered a dress not that much in money it arrived in the said time and was a lovely little dress for my grand daughter half the price of one over here and less postage

we have loads of stuff through ebay from china and never had any problems, just be prepared that it can take slightly longer for it to be delivered than when you order from the uk, also be prepared that over a certain amount you have to pay the import tax yourself.

a lot of counterfeit stuff comes from China and the Far East, so beware

having said that, if you're paying through Paypal you're protected

I have ordered a couple of things and they arrived without any problem but they weren't as expensive as £200. What is the seller's feedback like? If you pay via Paypal with a credit card you have protection from both companies I think?

You are right to be wary though. I am a member of a craft forum where a number of folk bought what they thought were electrical items and some of them received things like a paperclip! They have received refunds via Paypal, I think, but it was all a hassle for them and some were out of pocket as they paid to have the item returned for a refund from China - which did not materialise.

When I buy from an unknown source I often do a Google search with the seller's name and the word 'complaints' in the address bar and see if anything comes up.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm

If the seller has good feedback and you pay through paypal you should be okay.

Remember though that goods coming from China are subject to VAT and import duty, so you might get a demand from customs for some money.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Have a wee look to see what the feedback is for, as well as how good it is.
    If its for loads of low value goods and nothing else in the same price bracket...ie you said it was £200 and the feedback is all for things at £1-£10 I would be wary!
    But if they have sold quite a few high value goods with good feedback it would be better.

I have ordered quite a bit from several different sellers in China and Hong Kong. I have always received what I ordered.

Also remember if you pay via PayPal you are covered for up to £500 for any single item bought on eBay.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

ordered an A-Pad from china, said it would take 14-21 days to arrive, it too 8 days to arrive. well happy with it all.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

check the sellers feedback and use paypal and you will not have any problems......some things only take a week or so to arrive as well...personally never had any problems myself.

Thanks for all the comments just wasnt sure on what to think, i know mydad has been ripped of fby people on ebay then police couldnt do anything as the person that conned him off £200 then deleted his ebay account, ever since i am just weary off,
    I want to order my wedding dress from china so wasnt sure if i had anything to worry about etc, which is costing me over £200 just didnt want to waste my money

Hi
    If its for a wedding dress I used Milly Bridal my dress was amazing and cost £120 I sent them a picture of an Alfred Angelo (£900 dress) that I couldnt afford and this copy was even better as they made a few changes. If you google them you will find they have their own site and sell on ebay if you want I can PM you pictures of my dress. They send you progress throughout the making of the dress etc so if you are worried ref security of your money plus you still pay via paypal then they might be worth a look!
    Good luck with the wedding plans

Quote Originally Posted by funky-dunky View Post
    Hi i was just wondering if anyone has ever ordered something from china before through ebay?
    I am wanting to order something that is going to cost over £200 and my partner has doubts of if we will actually recieve the goods or not once we pay for it
    Never ordered anything from China nor ebay. I likewise have my doubts on China as I was stationed there at the end of WW2 and visited there again for a WW2 reunion in 1992. From my experiences I would not take a chance on ebay or on anything bought in China. For you braver ones be very carefully on what you do.

oldmarine since you have never bought anything from eBay or from China then you have no idea what protection there is as a Buyer.

Also since the last time you visited China was in 1992 you are at least 20 years out of date and by the sound of what you wrote your mindset of China is coloured by your experience in the 2nd World War. Over 60 years ago.

As I have stated above if you buy through eBay and pay via PayPal then you are safe as you have buyers protection of up to £500. Makes no difference where the seller lives, be it China, Hong Kong, USA or even Thurso, you have the same protection.

I have bought several things from China and I have always received my item swiftly and well packed.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I've bought several items from China and all have been really well packaged, usually arrived within a couple of weeks (well it is China) and most have offered free P&P (probably why it took 3 weeks). No bad transactions yet
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    oldmarine since you have never bought anything from eBay or from China then you have no idea what protection there is as a Buyer.

Also since the last time you visited China was in 1992 you are at least 20 years out of date and by the sound of what you wrote your mindset of China is coloured by your experience in the 2nd World War. Over 60 years ago.

As I have stated above if you buy through eBay and pay via PayPal then you are safe as you have buyers protection of up to £500. Makes no difference where the seller lives, be it China, Hong Kong, USA or even Thurso, you have the same protection.

I have bought several things from China and I have always received my item swiftly and well packed.
    Do you have to pay duty, on these transactions.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    Do you have to pay duty, on these transactions.
    Yes but the items are normally a lot cheaper anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Yes but the items are normally a lot cheaper anyway.
    How do you go about this please. Have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    How do you go about this please. Have no idea.
    Customs will send you an invoice. Sometimes one doesn't arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Customs will send you an invoice. Sometimes one doesn't arrive...
    Sorry to bother you further but. What are the approximate fees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast