Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Benefit Weasel

Default Benefit Weasel

Ive just come to learn that a close friend of mine has managed to convince the local job center into giving him a very substantial sized crisis loan. The problem is instead of using the money in the correct way like paying off bills or buying food he went and spent it on buying himself a brand new hd tv. Now im not against the benefit system if someone is in genuine need of money & cannot find work but when people abuse the system it makes me angry for the people in need. Is this considered to be illegal ?

If you have any concerns report it, if it is legal no harm done. If it is not then they'll get what's coming.

I am a great supporter of the benefits system, but hate to see it abused!
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Agree - report it

Benefit system is there to be used NOT ABUSED.

it annoys me when real people in hardship can not get these crisis loans and have to wait weeks for they benifits to get sorted . Then someone likes this seem to get money thrown at them . Well if the wick office shuts he will get his fare paid to inverness and have a family day out paid for by us workers that can not afford flash t,vs

I'd report it also, if you work or pay tax then you're paying for it in a way. Also what is it with people (especially neds and chavs) and massive TVs after reaching a certain size going larger is just kind of pointless.

I know plus a few others in our area where its obvoious this carry on is going on and let me say they dont appear to work and seem to be a lot better off how can they get up every morning without any guilt its so funny when they hobble about then forget i see it every day with my own eyes and they smoke so is that where our tax is going to provide for people that cant be bothered i dont even know how they can afford to even keep a car on the road its so expensive its a disgrace when their is a lot of honest people out there that worked and paid there taxes and get hardly any help when in need its a disgrace.

Id like to point out that i do not have any proof that he bought a tv. Im sorry i didnt mention that before, but we both share another close friend who is the one who told me & i honestly dont think he would lie. Doreen, this guy smokes aswell, like a chimmey. He is in debt up to his eyeballs but chooses to carry on smoking & thinks nothing will happen to him if he carrys on ignoring his bills. Im surprised that they have not knocked his door in already and taken his belongings to cover the payments

Perhaps he should have bought a halo with the money?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSL33P3R View Post
    Id like to point out that i do not have any proof that he bought a tv. Im sorry i didnt mention that before, but we both share another close friend who is the one who told me & i honestly dont think he would lie.
    So just idle speculation - nice one!

Doreen, this guy smokes aswell, like a chimmey.
    There is nothing whatever that can or should prevent anyone on benefits smoking - why should it?

He is in debt up to his eyeballs but chooses to carry on smoking & thinks nothing will happen to him if he carrys on ignoring his bills. Im surprised that they have not knocked his door in already and taken his belongings to cover the payments
    Debt is a totally different matter, completely unrelated to benefits - you are starting to look rather like another that believes we should remove any benefits safety net, and that all the lazy folk scrounging of the rest of society should just get off their backsides and get a job.

Hello, hello, there are no jobs!! At least not enough for all the unemployed.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    There is nothing whatever that can or should prevent anyone on benefits smoking - why should it?
    I'll bite.

Because smoking is a luxury, and benefits shouldn't be high enough to fund luxuries.

I'm sure the majority of PAYE taxpayers would agree.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    I'll bite.

Because smoking is a luxury, and benefits shouldn't be high enough to fund luxuries.

Not so, for anyone that smokes - I don't, and I hate and detest smoking and believe that smoking should be banned totally, but that is another debate entirely - it is not a luxury, it is a necessity. It may be foolish, but it is a fact of life. It is a choice that the individual makes.

Benefits are not design to punish, they are designed to allow someone to live with the basics covered, and yes it includes provision for telephones, TV's, transport and other such luxuries. If someone makes an unwise choice and spends food money on smoking more fool them, but it is not for us to judge.

I'll bite.

Your dead right there why should the have ciggies for luxeries when it should be going towards food and things thats required so all of us taxpayers pay for there luxuries to dont think thats right.

Not so, for anyone that smokes - I don't, and I hate and detest smoking and believe that smoking should be banned totally, but that is another debate entirely - it is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
    No, it is an addiction.

Addictions can be broken. I've done it.

If someone makes an unwise choice and spends food money on smoking more fool them, but it is not for us to judge.
    I disagree. As the person funding this lifestyle, I feel I have every right to judge.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Look Nick. Ive seen your posts before on many subjects and you seem to strike me as someone who enjoys getting into arguments. Im not against people smoking that are on benefits, i just said he smokes like a chimney. The benefit system is not there to bail people of serious debt. If he had payed his bills in the first place instead of smoking, buying games & god only knows what else then he would not be in the situation he is in

I disagree. As the person funding this lifestyle, I feel I have every right to judge.
    I truly hope that one day you find yourself in need. I also hope to be around to decide whether to throw the safety line to you, or whisk it away.

As someone who finds merit in quoting Hitler perhaps I should not be surprised at your attitude.

Do not judge a man till I have walked a mile in his shoes!

Look Nick. Ive seen your posts before on many subjects and you seem to strike me as someone who enjoys getting into arguments. Im not against people smoking that are on benefits, i just said he smokes like a chimney. The benefit system is not there to bail people of serious debt. If he had payed his bills in the first place instead of smoking, buying games & god only knows what else then he would not be in the situation he is in
    I enjoy debate, and I also believe in saying what I think.

We agree on the smoking.

We agree the benefits system is not there to bail people out of serious debt.

We also agree that had he payed his bills in the first place instead of smoking, buying games & god only knows what else then he would not be in the situation he is in.

So as far as I can see you and me don't have any argument, and that is how I like life.

However when other people (and I don't aim this comment at you) make sweeping judgements regarding the actual choices that people on benefits make regarding spending their own money then I will always defend the rights of the benefits claimant to choose. People on benefits have all the same rights to make their own lifestyle choices as do those in work, those on pensions, those in care. People are people and deserve to be respected for that. If anyone disagrees fine, campaign for the abolition of the welfare state, or move to the USA, or Zimbabwe, or the moon, but give up bleating about you paying them. You as an individual do not - WE as a society do.

Perhaps we should have an approved list of items that are not too luxurious but are considered essentials and then the poor can go to the warehouse and pick what they need and it is handed over to them. A bit like an Argos for the down and outs. Then people like me can feel good about ourselves that we are doing them a favor and they can feel grateful for our generosity. No harm to personal dignity implied.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I truly hope that one day you find yourself in need.
    I'll repeat my point.

I have no problem with the benefit system funding NEEDS.

I also hope to be around to decide whether to throw the safety line to you, or whisk it away.
    Well that's fair enough. But I don't have the ability to decide right now, so I doubt you will in the future.

As someone who finds merit in quoting Hitler perhaps I should not be surprised at your attitude.
    There's very few people who've had more influence on the world in the last century than Hitler.

I think there is great merit in trying to understand his views and ways. A wish to understand is not an endorsement.

- Charles de Gaulle

Yes it is there choice to choose. I will fully agree with you on that. But if someone claims job seekers allowence and gets £50 a week then spends it on a game or a new mobile they cannot go running back asking for a crisis loan. People get themselves into debt & its down to them to get out of it without expecting help. The only people i have sympathy for on benefits are those who cannot find work as i know there is not much or disabled people. If someone is blowing there money on crap and is too lazy to work then i dont feel sorry for them when they get into financial trouble.

Yes it is there choice to choose. I will fully agree with you on that. But if someone claims job seekers allowence and gets £50 a week then spends it on a game or a new mobile they cannot go running back asking for a crisis loan. People get themselves into debt & its down to them to get out of it without expecting help. The only people i have sympathy for on benefits are those who cannot find work as i know there is not much or disabled people. If someone is blowing there money on crap and is too lazy to work then i dont feel sorry for them when they get into financial trouble.
    Yet again we are in agreement - see my first response to your OP

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast