Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tore Roundabout

Question Tore Roundabout

Ok. you are driving north home to Caithness and you are approaching Tore roundabout (Black isle). The sign that shows the exit to Wick shows a roundabout but the angle of the exit is greater than 120° but not quite 180° to the right therefore(almost straight on), isn't it protocol to stay in the left lane on approach and keep in lane and indicate left only as you leave the roundabout? So many times I have seen drivers approach in the right-hand lane and indicate right then indicate left as they leave the roundabout to go north.

Which is right? It is a long time since I took my test but I am sure that if the turn off on the sign indicates a more or less straight-on route then you should keep to the left lane unless there is very little traffic and you can approach in the right lane but not indicate right.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.htm#160

When taking any intermediate exit

* select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary
    * stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    * signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

So using lane 2 to proceed straight ahead is permissable...

Going by the diagram on the link you posted it shows you should be in the left hand lane
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Thanks Madpict, so by the advice given, one should not indicate right if one is going to Wick because the exit north is not the last exit from the roundabout? Many do indicate right here.

EDIT

Even the pic is confusing because the pink car is indicating right but it is not taking the last exit.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 08-Oct-06 at 18:37.

No - it states -
    When taking any intermediate exit

* select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary
    * stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    * signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

So for example - the traffic in lane 1 (left hand lane) is all turning left, you are allowed to use lane 2 to approach the roundabout and as you are not turning left OR right you do not need to indicate UNTIL you have passed the 1st exit (to the left) then you indicate left to show that you are leaving the roundabout.

Obviously if you are the only vehicle using the roundabout you would use lane 1 and follow the course indicated in the diagram. But it does state "select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout" when using any intermediate exits.

I have always approached the roundabout in the right hand lane, and only indicate after passing the first left exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Thanks Madpict, so by the advice given, one should not indicate right if one is going to Wick because the exit north is not the last exit from the roundabout? Many do indicate right here.
    I am trying to remember the layout of this roundabout but using the clock face to simplify matters if you are approaching from 6 o'clock and there is an exit at 9 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock and you are exiting at the 2 o'clock exit, you do get people think that the should indicate right as they are going round the roundabout.
    It can cause confusion for someone joining from the 9 o'clock junction wishing to take the 2 o'clock exit pulling out because they see a car with the right indicator on and they think they are going off at 4 o'clock, then get all annoyed because they get a blast of horn as they both try to go for the same exit.
    But it also causes problems if you are indicating left as you approach and negotiate the roundabout - the car joining from 9 o'clock thinks you are leaving at the first exit so the pullout in front of you....

if memory serves me right,the road markings tell you to stay in the right hand lane if going north and to stay in the left hand lane if turning off left.
    A new broom sweeps clean,but a old one knows all the corners!

If you are coming from the south, the exits are 8°clock, 10°clock, 1°clock and 4°clock. There are 2 lanes on the approach and one lane on the exit which leaves for Wick. So in theory, there is a potential conflict if two drivers are in lanes 1 and 2 and they want to exit at the same time! I think I have been there before...

I can't remember any road markings to indicate which lane to take on the approach, but the left hand land does extend round to the exit north.

To the last reply, the left hand lane 'extends' all the way round the roundabout.

The exit to the north is more than half way round the roundabout when coming from Inverness, regardless of the number of exits prior to that you should be in the right hand lane on approach and be indicating right until just before the last exit prior to your intended junction when you should change your signal to take the left turn off the roundabout.

Just for info, my husband took a police driving course some years ago and on that course the same subject regarding the Tore roundabout came up, the police instructor told them that you should be in the right hand lane when approaching the roundabout from the south if you were intending to take the A9 north or turn right to Tore.

I just go in the middle and hope for the best lol
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

emszxr,
    That approach is technically correct but bear in mind that not every driver has the advantage of any form of advanced training and also consider that the A9 goes from dual to single carriageway to the north of this roundabout. Also it appears that there are TWO exits prior to the A9 north one. The first is the A832 and the second is the A835.

As there are two exits prior to the A9(N) I would probably make use of lane 2, remaining in lane 2 until passing the 2nd exit then indicate left and move to lane 1 to exit the roundabout. IF the A9(N) was dual after this roundabout you could stay in lane 2 on exiting.

Google Map

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr View Post
    The exit to the north is more than half way round the roundabout when coming from Inverness, regardless of the number of exits prior to that you should be in the right hand lane on approach and be indicating right until just before the last exit prior to your intended junction when you should change your signal to take the left turn off the roundabout.Just for info, my husband took a police driving course some years ago and on that course the same subject regarding the Tore roundabout came up, the police instructor told them that you should be in the right hand lane when approaching the roundabout from the south if you were intending to take the A9 north or turn right to Tore.
    But as the Highway code points out, that is not strictly the correct procedure unless you were taking the last exit or you were doing a u-turn.

It is very confusing, I guess there may not be a hard rule but just to keep one's wits about yerself and 'honk' where necessary.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 08-Oct-06 at 19:58.

are you serious?people having a go because of me doing 15mph over the limit to over take and you dont even know the highway code,that cud cause a serious accident!!!

I guess I do it all wrong. I go into the right lane appraoahing the roundabout cause I'm sure it says north on the road, then I turn off.

Default Right hand lane

On the approach to the roundabout heading to Wick you are instructed to take the right hand lane prior to reaching the roundabout also the sign shows the exit as past 12 o'clock , often at roundabouts the sign will show an exit as after 12 but in reality it is before 12 , the reason for this is to guide the driver into the desired lane for traffic management the rule being you obey the sign not what you believe in your in built natural ability to predict angles..

It is immaterial how many junctions are before or after your turning. The simple rule is if you are travelling in a straight line south to north of from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock , unless directed otherwise by prior notice (signs on the roadside or marked on the roadway) you are at liberty to select either lane. If your exit is left of 12 you take the left lane if your exit is after 12 you take the right lane.

If you are my good lady you buy a bright car and extend an apologetic hand as you drive quickly across the middle smiling a "please forgive me as I know no better!" glance at everyone............

What is the correct lane then, never mind the technical stuff?

Default right enough

The right lane like all the signs say

Muir of Ord and Dingwall - left
    Wick and Tore - Right

Default tore roundabout

Thanks Big Fish! I was doubting my own driving for a minute

I think it is allowable to use the right hand entry lane when the intention is to exit for Wick. It is also allowable to use the left hand entry lane for this.

The main thing to appreciate, is that in any conflict - the driver in the right hand lane (if crossing the left hand lane to exit) is responsible.

Therefore, the driver in the right hand lane must be far more vigilant.

(I use the right hand lane by preference)
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast