Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: recycling

Default recycling

I just wondered if anyone has any use for the plastic water cups you get from water at work machines. It seems a shame to throw them away.

They make great pots for growing from seed and I am sure any after school or nursery group would be gratefull for them for crafts
    Last edited by changilass; 07-Oct-06 at 20:46.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I just wondered if anyone has any use for the plastic water cups you get from water at work machines. It seems a shame to throw them away.
    They should be recyclable - check the base for the triangle arrows sign. If not ask your water machine supplier to supply paper cups....

Good ideas! I will check out the cups but someone said there might be a problem getting a recycling company to take the up here. I once had a pen made from a recycled cup. If not I will give them to an after school club and ask the supplier if they can do paper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    They should be recyclable - check the base for the triangle arrows sign. If not ask your water machine supplier to supply paper cups....
    What do you do with plastics here in caithness (even if the cups have the arrows, where do you put them???)??? There are no plastic recycle points to my knowledge. So much plastic gets thrown away, what with the milk cartons (at least 2 a week at my house), plus all other plastic bottles, etc. In Denmark glass bottles are no longer used and their plastic bottles have something like an 85% recycling rate, but that is because they use the old system of deposit (you get your deposit back when you return them).
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I guess I am spoilt down here - I have been recycling my plastic for some years now. If the pressure to add plastics to your recyclables is put on your Refuse Dept then they might provide it. The majority of material for the ubiquitous fleece comes from recycled plastic bottles so you would end up wearing it!

If plastic isnt recycled then get paper cups -
    http://www.nestle-waters-powwow.co.u.../coolers/cups/

They also do 150ml paper 'cones'...

It peeves me off having to fill my bin with plastics which could very well be recycled - milk & juice bottles especially as we go through quite a bit and they are quite bulky.

I reckon we've almost halved our bin loads since starting recycling but could reduce that to a third if we could do plastic too.

Roll on adding those to our list of recyclables!

Default Bring your own cup

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Why not bring in your own cup/glass and wash it out instead. Thats what happened in an office I used to work in.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird