Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which boat?????

Default Which boat?????

Hi

Need some help, my daughter has to go to Kirkwall on tues, she doesn't drive so she will be on foot

which boat would be the best for her, scrabster or gills??

Any help please she is a bit panicky as she has never been to orkney before, she has an interview so its just a day trip

Gills boat is cheaper and is a shorter crossing. Stagecoach Orkney service X1 connects both St Margarets Hope and Stromness to Kirkwall.

go john o groats to burwick ticket covers boat and bus to kirkwall

Depends what time her interview is. When I had my interview for my job in Orkney I took the Hamnavoe because it was the only one I could take that I'd make the return ferry - but that was in the winter so there were less sailings.

She'll be better with scrabster as it takes her to stromness which is half an hour drive/bus ride from kirkwall. gills bay will take her too far away as its a good while from st margarets hope to kirkwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Koi View Post
    She'll be better with scrabster as it takes her to stromness which is half an hour drive/bus ride from kirkwall. gills bay will take her too far away as its a good while from st margarets hope to kirkwall.
    It is the same distance from the hope to kirkwall as it is from stromess to kirkwall .

I did the JoG trip to Kirkwall for an interview - if the timing works its just fine and cheap. And you hear the bus driver telling you about all the chickens blowing away in 1953!! Very restful start to an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    It is the same distance from the hope to kirkwall as it is from stromess to kirkwall .
    Is it? It felt longer than the stromness to kirkwall did. But isn't that always the case

Suppose it depends on fare prices, bus times and how regular buses are as to what boat she takes. Certainly gills to st margarets hope is cheaper and i'd always go by gills when taking a car over. But from thurso its a bit out the way. So depends on if she can be picked up/dropped of and bus times.

Thanx everyone

She has decided to go scrabster boat, it will work out cheaper in the long run and easier,

She doesn't drive so it would be a taxi to Gills for morning ferry and a taxi back at night when she gets back

Bus will pick her up straight off boat and take her straight to Kirkwall, then she will have a couple of hours to find place she has to go to her interview is 2.15 it is for a passport

Bus is at 4ish to take her back to the boat for last crossing so it all works out pretty good for timing

Pricewise, Northlink will be the most expensive - Its their peak season, and Scrabster to Stromness return alone will be £34 - Then another £3 each way or so for the bus to Kirkwall. Remarkable, given that they already get £10 million of our money each year for this "lifeline" service!

Pentland Ferries and John O Groats Ferries will be much about such - £26 on Pentland Ferries plus about another £3 each way for the bus, or £32 all in with John o Groats Ferries. But you need to get to Gills or Groats, and I gather you are in Thurso.

Much will hinge on when she needs to be in Kirkwall

Oh, and the bus timetable for the Hope to Kirkwall is 30 minutes, exactly the same as Stromness to Kirkwall!

Yes in Thurso so it would be a taxi to Gills and a taxi from Gills to Thurso on return so worked out cheaper going scrabster

Did the passport people decide the interview was to be on Orkney or could you decide to go to Inverness?

Just curious.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Hope she's a good sailor then! With this ert of wind, and strength, she could be in for an entertaining run on Tuesday! Looks like the wind is staying in the NW till Tuesday and taking its time in moderating.

Oh, and tell her not to forget her passport! She'll need it to get past the "immigration gestapo" at Scrabster!

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Did the passport people decide the interview was to be on Orkney or could you decide to go to Inverness?

Just curious.
    Inverness office is closed down so they said its kirkwall or elgin so she chose kirkwall

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Oh, and tell her not to forget her passport! She'll need it to get past the "immigration gestapo" at Scrabster!
    She doesn't have a passport thats why she is going to kirkwall for her interview for her to get 1

But yeah they said she needs photo ID Just lucky she has a driving licence

She is dreading the trip gets right sea sick, so will be worse if the wind does keep up

Strewth almighty.... An interview for a British Citizen to get a passport these days.... (Just been reading up on Google). Yet, if you are an "asylum seeker" you're welcomed with open arms and given a house and beneits.... Thats nearly as bad as needing a passport to come to Orkney!

Time this country gave itself a shake - We treat our own citizens as terrorists, and other countries terrorists as our own citizens....

Hope the travel plans went OK! Hearing on Radio Orkney this morning that the bus service that used to connect with the Hamnavola to Kirkwall has been significantly withdrawn, meaning that there is up to a 2 hour wait either way for a bus or a boat.

Wonder if Stagecoach are pre-empting the abandonment of the "long way round" ferry service when the tender is up next year?

Which brainless twonk in the quango dept decided it would be better to have a passport office in Kirkwall than Inverness??

Would be quite handy, if I actually required it! 1 less boat to go on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast