Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Pilot Whales at Kyke of Durness Video

Default Pilot Whales at Kyke of Durness Video

There was a mass stranding attempt by a pod of between 30 and 50 Pilot Whales at The Kyle of Durness today. Several were beached including a Mother and Calf. The 4 beached animals were not expected to survive. The remaining animals were, at least for the present, safe from beaching, and were encouraged away from the beach and a sandbank by the combined efforts of HM Coastguard, SSPCA, members of The British Divers Marine Life Rescue, and a number of other keen, but perhaps less trained volunteers and helpers. Although at the time I left, the future of the remaining members of the pod, which could have been as many as 50 was very uncertain as the tide was still going out, the water levels dropping and there was at least one more exposed sandbank between them and the open sea. The sight was very distressing and I hope for a good outcome for the rest of the pod. I have just been told that up to 30 of the main Pod are now beached

The following link should take you video footage shot this afternoon

http://www.youtube.com/user/caithnes.../1/I9kwtQfF8Co

Tks...s.................