Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV programme: "smacks and is proud of it"

Default TV programme: "smacks and is proud of it"

I am watching the "I smack and proud of it" programme (STV). There are parents yelling obscenities at their child while smacking him because the child swore at them ..... how intelligent do you have to be to understand what is wrong with this picture?
    It's unreal.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Unhappy I Smack And I'm Proud

Is anyone watching this programme on STV just now, about people who are proud that they smack their children. These parents just seem like complete nutters, seeing the way they are treating the children is disgusting. They are cursing and swearing at the children, and not just smacking them, but really laying into them. How on earth is a child supposed to have respect for people when their parents are teating them like this.
    I feel quite upset just watching this programme.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

LOL Connie, you read my mind... I also posted something similair
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I don't get it.... the kids are still behaving atrociously after the smack. I does absolutely nothing. It doesn't change the behaviour. They are not slapping. They are beating them. I think I am going to change I cannot watch this.... it's not about using a slap. It's bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    I don't get it.... the kids are still behaving atrociously after the smack. I does absolutely nothing. It doesn't change the behaviour. They are not slapping. They are beating them. I think I am going to change I cannot watch this.... it's not about using a slap. It's bullying.
    These men are just total control freaks, I feel really sickened watching it. I used to think that it was up to the parent if they wanted to smack their children but now after seeing this I am totally against it.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

what i dont understand is why do they film things like this when it is nothing short of child abuse, how can the children possibly learn to be any different to the parents. its case's like this that the social service's should be called in.
    these people arent fit to be parents

i am going to have to change the channel too, this is really upsetting me. looking at my 13 week old baby asleep beside me, how can anyone do that to their loved ones.
    i use time out with my 2 year old and i find it works very well.
    smacking is so wrong, it disgusts me how and why parents do it

That poor wee boy Mitchell his dad is a great big bully, hurting the wee mite for not sitting at the kitchen table with his legs straight in front of him and then grabbing his hand when he was playing with his straw, you could see he was crushing it trying to hurt him

Seen Aaron and his family before on another documentary - a prime example of dysfunctional families at their best!

I am in anguish watching this mother (????????) hitting the table with an egg turner ( she has hit the child with it earlier on) yelling at him that he is not studying, that he has studied this book for such a long time (implying stupidity or slowness???) and that he has exams coming up. Now, is it just me or does anyone think that that child is going to learn anything at all in that enviroment?

I have smacked my son exactly once. He ran away from me in a parking lot (slipped his hand out of mine when he was 1.5 years old). The smack happened because I got a big fright and I lost control. The smack was almost reflexive and I suppose it was just to comfort me from the huge fright that I got.

PS: I was in such a state afterwards. I felt terrible.

i just cannot watch these programmes as they reduce me to tears, how can the crew carry on filming this abuse, the parents should be charged and prosecuted, the women should be steralised and the men made to have vasectomy's. they dont deserve children.

Maybe the parents should be removed from their homes placed in a controlled enviroment and treated the way they treat their children... wonder how proud they would feel being on the receiving end? and how long before they demanded to be let out? personally i think they should not be allowed acces to any of the children
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

Do any of these parents ever take the time to actually talk to their children?
    There is absolutely no substitute for "time put in" with children, they respond far better to communication especially one to one and the rewards are well worth it.

And in any case, that wifey with the hideously painted on eyebrows, hitting those kids with a spatula thing wants sectioning!.
    You cannot force a child to "study" because you think he/she should.
    She's lucky none of them had learning difficulties like my kids did, they would have been severely clattered had they been hers.

And that bloke smacking Mitchell, it boiled my urine!

Sounds very much like a typically well balanced, unbiased piece of propaganda made by people with an agenda.
    Which Channel was it on?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

itv1 it was on

I turned it off half way through, I was so upset That little toddler Mitchell wasn't even doing anything to warrant the slaps he got and when his bully of a father squashed his little hand, I just couldnt bear to watch anymore, I was horrified and I am sorry but his wife needs to wake up, I can't understand why she would allow her child to be bullied like that?

Was there a conclusion to the programme? Did things get better for the children?
    Wishing on a star, still!

~~Be who you are and say what you want because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind~~

Conclusion:the father needed the slap not the child,im not a parent 'yet' but i could just never imagine off doing that to a human being ive brought into the world,they are not for pushing about,makes me really mad actually,why show that on tv i have no idea!!!

I beleive in smacking as part of a regime of loving discipline. I didnt watch this programme as I assumed that it would portray smacking in a bad light. I smacked all three of my children when i beleived they needed it. I never smacked them with anything other than the flat of my hand and i never hit them with anything like a belt or a stick. The were smacked on the bottom the legs or the hand. They were smacked for bad behavior or rudeness and it was administered in the context of a loving home. The images suggested here do not reflect the use of smacking in my house and in the homes of many of my friends that smacked their children too. Quite often the threat of a smack was enough to produce the required change in behaviour and the smack never needed to happen.

The smack was ALWAYS followed up with a discussion and a cuddle and i dont think i did too badly - they are well mannered and lovely boys - althought he middle one is gobby and opinonated - Cant imagine where he gets that from

Just as an aside There are things i did with them that i am not proud of and its only fair to share them. The worst thing i ever did was bang their heads together. The two older boys were about 13 and 12 and there was a row and they were fighting - and i mean fighting. kicking and punching each other. I was horrified and to stop them i banged their heads together. They saw stars and they stopped. I wasnt very proud of myself but it worked and brought a halt to the fight. I can only remember thenm fighting a couple of times but it always scared me when they did.

The other thing i am not proud of is because i did it out of frustration was when my eldest boy refused to eat his dinner - it was pasta in a home made sauce that i had spent a wee while making. He sat at the table and pushed it around for ages and then when i said he had to eat it he said something like I'm not eating that its rubbish - i was so mad i put the pasta bowl on his head!!! he had pasta driping down his face and in his hair and everything.

I think there are worse things than smacking in a controlled and loving environment and i think those two things are worse because i was not in control - one i was frightened and the other i was frustrated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast