Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: I tasted the brose!

Thumbs up I tasted the brose!

During a recent trip home to Thurso i made it my mission to buy some Brose! I was delighted to find it in Mackays next to the Bistro restaurant.I opened the packet took a deep sniff and was not disappointed.
    All the memories came flooding back.Next morning for breakfast it was on the menu!
    Then the preparation,take 2 heaped tablespoons put in small bowl,add boilingwater and knob of butter,mix to a stiff paste,add cold milk,then TASTE!
    It tasted just as i remembered it,beautiful,like peanut butter custard!
    So after more than 50 years i was pleasantly surprised that this once staple breakfastfood had not changed.

I have only tasted it once, I promptly threw up, so havn't gone back there again. YEUK
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
    During a recent trip home to Thurso i made it my mission to buy some Brose! I was delighted to find it in Mackays next to the Bistro restaurant.I opened the packet took a deep sniff and was not disappointed.
    All the memories came flooding back.Next morning for breakfast it was on the menu!
    Then the preparation,take 2 heaped tablespoons put in small bowl,add boilingwater and knob of butter,mix to a stiff paste,add cold milk,then TASTE!
    It tasted just as i remembered it,beautiful,like peanut butter custard!
    So after more than 50 years i was pleasantly surprised that this once staple breakfastfood had not changed.
    Vunderful stuff!! Doth bring back memories.....

I like it plain without butter and salt and added milk!
    just as it comes when "cooked"

Not had proper Brose since I was a bairn
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    What is it?
    As far as i can remember it was fine milled oat meal, my father as a farm worker got a bag of oat meal as part of his wages, his "Perks" or Perquisits (sp) if I remember it was half a hundredweight known as a bole of meal, half went to the hens, the rest to the family.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by linnie612 View Post
    What is it?
    i wasnt sure either so googled it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brose
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

As far as i can remember it was fine milled oat meal, my father as a farm worker got a bag of oat meal as part of his wages, his "Perks" or Perquisits (sp) if I remember it was half a hundredweight known as a bole of meal, half went to the hens, the rest to the family.
    Quote Originally Posted by annemarie482 View Post
    i wasnt sure either so googled it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brose

Mmm..Thanks both. I like oatmeal but I don't think this is the dish for me - must ask if my mum if she has tried it though!
    Last edited by linnie612; 17-Jun-11 at 00:35. Reason: dreadful grammar!

I'm imagining a baby food version of porridge and boking...
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

It puts a lining on your stomach....That's an awful word....BOKING>>> Shud be banned.

I liked oatmeal brose when I was a bairn,, my brother liked peasmeal brose, you need plenty salt to savour the taste although that may not be good for you.

It was the peasmeal brose I tasted, must try oatmeal brose, sounds a bitty friendlier on the stomach.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Default Highland Specials!

You can also add porridge oats to the peasemeal mixture. Tasty and healthy food! an aquired taste, dont give up, try it !!