Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spell check

Default Spell check

Just putting a little thread on to let people know that you can turn the spell checker on in your browser. That way any spelling mistakes come up with a red line underneath and all you need to do is right click and select the correct spelling If you use Safari there is even an option to check you grammar too...

Avoids the embarrassment of a post riddled with spelling mistakes and stops the anal people like me cringing
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

not all people learnt in school as long as people can read what u write i dont see a proplem

Quote Originally Posted by tori View Post
    not all people learnt in school as long as people can read what u write i dont see a proplem
    The thread isn't about the rights and wrongs of spelling - it is about showing people that you can correct the mistakes with very little effort. All it takes is for someone to care. After all, I would hope that when we speak we don't mumble - we try to make ourselves understood in our speech, why not our written communication? Are people not embarrassed? I would be...

Edit

I know that people can be dyslexic but you can tell when a dyslexic person types. When someone who is just lazy or doesn't care types it is phonetically readable.

And nonsense to not learning at school- everyone learns basic spelling and math at school. With modern technology to not correct your spelling mistakes is not due to poor education, it is due to laziness. Like putting 'u' instead of 'you' - come on, surely you can spell that?

Whether you learn at school or not, correct spelling and grammar is learned through reading, which is why some are much better debaters than others. Read well and you have the tools to debate well
    Last edited by Leanne; 12-Jun-11 at 13:37.

The problem with spell checkers is they don't help if the wrong word is used to start with...e.g. loose/lose, weather/whether, there/their, or where/were. They also don't help with tenses. My pet hates....I am sat, I am stood, and I am laying.

With regards to the usual answer of it not mattering as long as others know what you are saying, that only encourages many to not even try. It is also the reason why many university graduates are unemployed. I have read time and time again about employers putting CVs and application forms straight into the bin because of spelling and grammatical errors.

The education system has been too lax for too long, resulting in a 'who cares' culture. I saw a programme on CH4 one night, and it was found that many teachers can't even spell or count properly. What chance do the kids have?

Spell checkers would however, help immensely in at least trying to decipher what some are trying to say. I have on many occasions on here, and other places, sat and stared at a post, totally unable to even get the gist of it.

Paragraphs in long posts also helps.

As my old Dad says.......As long as you can sign your name at the Dole Office you will be fine!!!!!!

C3..................

Another annoying - well I find it annoying anyway - thing about spell checkers is the way they offer an American spelling of a word. I much prefer the English spelling which is always the correct way of spelling !!
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    Another annoying - well I find it annoying anyway - thing about spell checkers is the way they offer an American spelling of a word. I much prefer the English spelling which is always the correct way of spelling !!
    You can change your settings to UK English. It's annoying that it defaults to US though grrr

Just found something really funny - select the text that is written poorly and then click 'spoken' and hear the computer try to decipher what on earth is going on lol

Edit

This is funny as without proper punctuation it sounds very boring and monotonous... 'not all people learnt in school as long as people can read what u write i dont see a proplem'

Try it with this and it sounds much more interesting 'Not all people learned at school. As long as people can read what you write, I don't see a problem.'

Edit 2 - I wonder if people who can't spell and have poor grammar speak like they grammatically type? Must make for a very dull conversation lol
    Last edited by Leanne; 12-Jun-11 at 13:48.

Lovely tale about an American University undergraduate who wanted an internship in Hillary Clinton's office. So he typed out a smart CV, and an even smarter covering letter. Being a top "A" grade student, and with a bit of a nudge from his politician father, he thought he had a very good chance. He put the whole thing through a spelling check, printed it straight away, and posted it.

He was amazed to get a very terse letter turning him down as "manifestly unsuitable".

What had gone wrong? He pulled up a copy of what he had sent to HC's office.

The CV was perfect.

However, the letter to Mrs Clinton had two spelling changes carried out by the spellcheck.

His letter had begun

"Dear Hilarious Clitoris........."

Oh - I do hope that is true...
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    As my old Dad says.......As long as you can sign your name at the Dole Office you will be fine!!!!!!

C3..................
    Trust you. Ha ha.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

[/QUOTE]=Corrie3 ..As my old Dad says.......As long as you can sign your name at the Dole Office you will be fine!!!!!![QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by shazzap View Post
    Trust you. Ha ha.
    And I asked him why he didnt give me a middle name......."To make it easier for you when you sign on the dole" was the reply...

C3.....

Some good comments on here. I enjoyed reading all of them and had a great laugh along the way.

I used to use the spell check on my google task bar, but when the forum was updated I found that when I pressed spellcheck my post would disapear.

I have tried all ways to get a spell check back, but with no luck, all advice wellcome as I am poor at spelling.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I used to use the spell check on my google task bar, but when the forum was updated I found that when I pressed spellcheck my post would disapear.

I have tried all ways to get a spell check back, but with no luck, all advice wellcome as I am poor at spelling.
    what web browser have you got i have Google chrome and it under lines the mistake in red and then u left click it and find the right spelling and click on it

what web browser have you got i have Google chrome and it under lines the mistake in red and then u left click it and find the right spelling and click on it
    I use Internet Explorer, but have a google tool bar that used to work well until the org changed. I did a post some time ago in the technicle thread about it, but got no replys.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

17. Default

It doesnt have a full stop checker then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Just Semicolons. Oh and commas.
    Last edited by shazzap; 13-Jun-11 at 10:11.
    You don't have to be mad to know me but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    lol dont think so

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post

Avoids the embarrassment of a post riddled with spelling mistakes and stops the anal people like me cringing
    Ahem.

No 'the' in between 'stops' and 'anal'. Or at least 'those'.....

It avoids the embarrassment of berating those around you whilst being no different yourself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast