Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Roustabout Job urgently needed

Default Roustabout Job urgently needed

Hi guys im a lad of 22 and im desperate to get offshore. Im willing to work my ass off to get there. I understand i need my RGIT but is there any other courses that could help. I have a basic certificate in welding from a 3 month course at fraserburgh. Also anyhints and tips on the cv part would be very helpful.

its really hard to get offshore these days..... (my oh has been offshore 7 years now)

firstly do your own survival and medical. saves the company time and money, making you available to go asap
    (but check they are recognised by offshore companies)

have a valid passport.

write to every offshore company you can google with a cover letter and cv.

follow up your sent cv's by regularly phoning the hr departments to "check they have recieved them"

if refused, dont be afraid to re-apply.

apply to agencies that can take you offshore eg: atlantic resources, marine offshore etc
    (they could get you a 3 trip trial which can result in a job. )

obviously, a character or work reference from a friend who works for the company is beneficial

lastly, offshore companies seem to have a liking for farmers or fishermen due to the nature of their work.
    experience in these areas have been known to help.

it took my partner (who was a digger driver/ farmer) 3 years to get offshore but the persistence paid off.

hope thats of some help to you
    Last edited by annemarie482; 08-Jun-11 at 20:04.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by bazel989 View Post
    Hi guys im a lad of 22 and im desperate to get offshore. Im willing to work my ass off to get there. I understand i need my RGIT but is there any other courses that could help. I have a basic certificate in welding from a 3 month course at fraserburgh. Also anyhints and tips on the cv part would be very helpful.
    As well as your BOSIET you'll need your medical.

As a roustabout your best hope is to bombard the agancies with CV's and phonecalls. You've little hope of a company or main contractor job without experience.

Good luck, it's hard enough getting a start with a trade!

EDIT: Don't limit yourself to roustabout work. CAPE/RGB etc all employ unskilled workers for anything from pressure washing to sand jetting. Maybe even try to get in with the pressure testing teams.
    Last edited by theone; 08-Jun-11 at 20:14.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

My OH may have some contact numbers (for companies) that may be of help to you.
    Please feel free to PM me, if you think this could help you.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "