Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody on here support Greenpeace and their actions?

Default Anybody on here support Greenpeace and their actions?

I think I know the answer to this but what do they hope to achieve?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-13591098

C3.....

No, i'd be turning the firehose on them!

Dont know enough about it to have an opinion myself but one major thing they hope to gain is publicity and awareness, which they have managed by pulling this stunt. They want the authorities to remove them by force as it will make their stunt even more news worthy.

With the arctic environment already under threat some groups believe any environmental disaster up there could finish the arctic as we know it forever.

There is another article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13524846

If anyone watched arctic on BBC2 earlier this year they would have seen the changes facing the whole of the arctic circle.
    Away with the birds

agee with lasher

The French seem to be pretty good at sorting 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post

ha ha ha!!!
    they have the right idea indeed!!

don't believe the press on the green peace stories.......MAJORLY exaggerated
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post

C3.....
    Yes I support them. Cairn energy don't have a working plan to clean up the Arctic and in a leaked document UK ministers have admitted that a clean up of the Arctic would be impossible in the event of a Guld of Mexico event.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post

C3.....
    Yes, They hope to achieve the long term protection of the marine environment. Greenpeace have had a lot of success with campaigns in the past. All they need do is stop drilling operations for long enough for Cairn Energy and it's investors to take the economic decision to cut their losses. Don't dismiss them out of hand.

It is ironic that the oil companies are suspending or postponing operations of this nature in established waters while moaning about the windfall tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    That depends on if you advocate murder or not I guess!!

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Yes, They hope to achieve the long term protection of the marine environment. Greenpeace have had a lot of success with campaigns in the past. All they need do is stop drilling operations for long enough for Cairn Energy and it's investors to take the economic decision to cut their losses. Don't dismiss them out of hand.

It is ironic that the oil companies are suspending or postponing operations of this nature in established waters while moaning about the windfall tax.
    It is a no brainer for oil exploration companies to look for more lucrative areas to work, since the governments latest pillage of the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    It is a no brainer for oil exploration companies to look for more lucrative areas to work, since the governments latest pillage of the industry.
    This has been planned since long before the windfall tax.

Where is the problem with the windfall tax?

Oil companies must set a business model based on a low oil price otherwise they would never make any money.

If the oil price remains high for a sustained period, it is just free money for them (while we get crucified at the pumps and in our heating bills). Then to try to hold us to ransom by threatening to suspend investment just makes them look like a bunch of petulant children.

It may make look like the toys have been chucked however where does it leave the thousands of people employed in the oil industry when the projects are pulled and the oil companies look elsewhere for the more lucrative countries that do not try to suck every last penny out of the service companies?

To be fair it isnt the oilies that are crucifying you, it is the government with their extreme taxation of their product.

Dont forget that many of these new projects that are in the frame for cancellation or have been cancelled are to bring wells online that have been deemed unviable due to the high extraction cost etc. With the currenty world demand for oil they became viable but with the add on tax it has tipped the balance again.

Dont be fooled the like of Statoil plling out of the UKCS is a big blow to us and there will be more to follow!!

Greenpeace has a place in Society....if only as another set of checks and balances.

Rainbow Warrior III is about 40% to completion but Greenpeace welcomes donations to keep the battle for a cleaner Earth going.

I will donate 300 tonnes of sand, on the condition that they carry it in their fuel tanks.
    Tree hugging hippies!!

Don't know if anyone has been following 'Whale Wars' on Sky? but Captain Paul Watson, who's risking his life down there to protect the Whales and stop the Japanese whaling fleet, has very scant regard for Greenpeace:

"Greenpeace is lying and stealing your money. The Greenpeace fraud about saving the whales must be exposed. They have surrendered the Whale Sanctuary to the whalers. Greenpeace makes more money from anti-whaling than Norway and Iceland combined make from whaling. In both cases, the whales die and someone profits.. We continue to receive reports from people who have received highly emotional appeals from Greenpeace for money to save the whales including appeals to help refuel their ship. This is simply out and out fraud."..

It's a long - but very interesting article, giving another view point of the Greenpeace organisation..

http://typingisnotactivism.wordpress...ng-your-money/
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

To put things into context, Capt Paul Watson was expelled from Greenpeace for advocating violent action. He created his own anti whaling organisation and holds sour grapes about Greenpeace's higher profile and his expulsion.

Bekisman, thanks for your link, usually org members provide links which backs up one's own position or point of view. Do you share Paul Watson's politics or are you just being Devil's Advocate again?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 30-May-11 at 13:59.

I wonder why this person does not debate without throwing a hissy - as yet again Rheghead has given me a red reputation point (I've only ever had three and all from him) - it is a sad case that I can't put a reasonable point over without him resorting to this childish behaviour.
    I wonder if lasher, annmarie, phill, mi16 were 'red repped' for their rather harsh comments? nah, of course not.. Old Rheggy has a bit of a problem with me.. Hmm wonder what it is.. but then we all really know don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I will donate 300 tonnes of sand, on the condition that they carry it in their fuel tanks.
    Tree hugging hippies!!
    Not many trees in Greenland

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    To put things into context, Capt Paul Watson was expelled from Greenpeace for advocating violent action. He created his own anti whaling organisation and holds sour grapes about Greenpeace's higher profile and his expulsion.

Bekisman, thanks for your link, usually org members provide links which backs up one's own position or point of view. Do you share Paul Watson's politics or are you just being Devil's Advocate again?
    I know I'm silly conversing with whom has been labelled a 'troll' but in your Bad Rep comment (unseen by those on here) you used the simple word 'Lies' - in reference to the post and Link I gave.. would you care to say why this is a lie?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast