Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seen the general lee car in wick tesco

Default Seen the general lee car in wick tesco

Spotted the general lee car in wick tesco tonight, it looked the part and it was then that i noticed stiffler from american pie was in the passenger seat!

So had to take a picture, maybe there on a road trip?

He wasn't really there lol

Tish and pish, ma boy. That looks more like a Ford Capri to me. Hell, it's even got a UK number plate!

It looks nothing like this one:
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by caithnesslad View Post
    Spotted the general lee car in wick tesco tonight, it looked the part and it was then that i noticed stiffler from american pie was in the passenger seat!

So had to take a picture, maybe there on a road trip?l

lol nice picture, shame you couldn't get a shot of the watermelons weighing down the back seat.

(many thanks to metal for pointing out that this wasn't the genuine General Lee ...)

Either way both the Capri and the Dodge Charger were rubbish cars that didnt handle!!

whats the difference between that capri and a hedgehog?

the hedgehog has the pricks on the outside!!!

Haha was worth a try, knew it wasnt a charger..

Is at so? I didna ken a young guy lek you wid ken a long nose Henry if it run you doon!!

There's alot of thought gone into the Crappi, with the short bumpers and replica bull bar.

I'd like to have a closer look.

I had a 2.8 Special with the limited slip diff and RS wheels. It actually handled quite well (for the eightys). better than any crummy froggy rubbish anyway
    Last edited by ducati; 23-May-11 at 21:14.

You cannot compare the handling characteristics of a 2.8 Capri and a 205 Gti.
    The 205Gti is renound for its fantastic handling, the Capri is renound for being rubbish.
    I do agree that a lot of though was put into it but why try and make a general lee replica out of something that doesnt even bear the slightest resemblance to a charger.
    There used to be an Opel Manta Gte coupe going around inverness done up at the General Lee, whilst again it was a poor replica al least it shared similar lines to the original.
    The Manta Gte exclusive coupe now that was a nice 80's car that would run rings around Capri's
    Or how about an Ople Acona

Yer right there Mi16.
    Ive sprinted a tuned 1.6 205 Gti, and it was a great handling wee car. Safe understeer with some lift off oversteer for a bit of fun! Not as good handling as my wee Mincer tho.......
    Capri was a fine car for the straight line stuff mind you. Manta handled better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Yer right there Mi16.
    Ive sprinted a tuned 1.6 205 Gti, and it was a great handling wee car. Safe understeer with some lift off oversteer for a bit of fun! Not as good handling as my wee Mincer tho.......
    Capri was a fine car for the straight line stuff mind you. Manta handled better imo.
    Real men (and Women) drive rear wheel drive, the rest is just shopping!

Perhaps back in the day (after a hard 16hr shift down mines when you could go out for a meal, watch a film, get pissed, have a bag of chips on the way home and still have tuppence left from a tenner) RWD was king, these days Im not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Perhaps back in the day (after a hard 16hr shift down mines when you could go out for a meal, watch a film, get pissed, have a bag of chips on the way home and still have tuppence left from a tenner) RWD was king, these days Im not so sure.
    Front wheel drive is the drive of the devil .

It was adopted to make manufacturing cheaper, no other reason. Even the very best system available today is an appalling compromise.

I example the Alfa GTA
    Last edited by ducati; 24-May-11 at 19:38.

I must admit that for a driving machine I am fond of RWD. I love the way my 5 series drives. However as stated earlier there are several exceptions to your rule. I would deffo consider the 205 gti and classic mini to be up near the top of the entertaining drives list.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I must admit that for a driving machine I am fond of RWD. I love the way my 5 series drives. However as stated earlier there are several exceptions to your rule. I would deffo consider the 205 gti and classic mini to be up near the top of the entertaining drives list.
    Yes but neither of these had any power to speak of. A modern car, to be worth considering as sporty needs at least 200BHP. That is just the point where FWD ceases to be entertaining and becomes compromised. The modern crop of fast Fords and Renaults etc. still don't work too well even with the modern traction control and computer controlled diffs. There is a reason Ferrari don't 'do' FWD.

Yeah I have to agree with you there, if you are much over 200bhp with FWD then the srive is somewhat spoiled.
    Having said that I ran a MK5 Golf Gti which was a shade over 200bhp and FWD, that car was bloody good fun and didnt really have any poor handling chacteristics.
    Others i have driven in that power bracket were poor though.
    I believe ford have a decent handling car in the new Focus RS though, never driven one myself so cant comment

Had a Dodge Charger 442 Hemi in the early 70's. Jacked up, with traction bars and Hhhhhuge GT qualifiers on the back.
    Several probs...No good at cornering and brakes were a bit poor/they faded rapidly!
    But Hellish power........... first to second...and into Third........ Burned rubber..Chirped into Fourth> Kids loved it......

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Yes but neither of these had any power to speak of. A modern car, to be worth considering as sporty needs at least 200BHP. That is just the point where FWD ceases to be entertaining and becomes compromised. The modern crop of fast Fords and Renaults etc. still don't work too well even with the modern traction control and computer controlled diffs. There is a reason Ferrari don't 'do' FWD.

3 weekends ago....at Mosport Int'l Speedway.....Got a ride in a Corvette/passenger...862 hp....running against at Subaru Impreza 4 cyl. awd....422hp.. Awesome!

My 1.4 Fiesta will stuff any RWD car...including big block Chevies

Just find a gentle hill....put some snow on it.......

Of course front wheel drive is better on ice and snow...but......50/50 weight distribution, like the BMW is really the best handling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast