Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats in your bathroom cabinet?

Default whats in your bathroom cabinet?

How many of us actually read the labels of the products we buy before using them? I ask the question because many people I have spoken to seem unaware of the risks of the chemicals that reside in our bathroom cabinets. Sodium Laurel Sulphate is an ingredient to be found in hundreds of products but most people are unaware what it is or what is it used for. Like wise parabens and the danger these pose to human health.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/ingre...-directory.htm

the link gives a list of commonly found ingredients in beauty products and explains what they are.

Do you suffer from dry skin for example? using any product which contains Sodium Laurel Sulphate will make your skin worse because it is used in engine degreaser. You wouldnt use engine degreaser on your skin would you? but its in most moisturisers, shower gel etc.

Parabens are more concerning , at a time when breast cancer seems to be on the increase these are still being put into many different products. A quick look at some conditioning leave in spray had me counting not one but FIVE different parabens in the product. Parabens have been linked to cancer in humans.

Surely education about what goes into the products we buy should be easier than having to google a long complicated chemical to find out about it. And lets face it if we started doing this we would get nothing done. The average person doesnt even LOOK at the ingredients much less digest exactly what they buy.

Dont be fooled by "contains natural oils" either, that DOES NOT mean they leave out the parabens nor the SLS.

Many companies are now labelling products SLS and paraben free and that is fine but unless you have an understanding about how they affect your health it wont matter too much !!

Human health is not just affected by what we eat and whether or not we exercise every day, the chemicals we use to clean the house, moisturise our hands or wash our dishes are also absorbed through the skin ......

So whats in your bathroom cabinet ?

K

"It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by onecalledk View Post
    So whats in your bathroom cabinet ?

K
    Lots of Condoms.......Just in case I get lucky!!!!!

C3.......

just checked myself and given me food for thought. One of them had two of the propanes in it and i use that everyday as i love the smell of it.
    Last edited by Koi; 10-May-11 at 19:04.

Well we once had a small bathroom cabinet and the wife took it all. So I built one about 5 times bigger and still there is no room for my meagre share.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Just another name for water (H20)
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Lots of Condoms.......Just in case I get lucky!!!!!

C3.......

Better check the sell by date first.

Cyclo Methicone is great for keeping sweat smells away, and also dragons.

Didnt realise that there was a dragon problem in Caithness better go get some crystals and get it sorted ;-)

just trying to make people aware of what we put on our bodies daily, do I get the feeling that men dont take toiletries very seriously .... and here was me thinking that a whole generation of farmers could have hands as soft as silk ....sigh .....

K

Open a bathroom cabinet - and there it is - a voice from the past - Brylcreem! Remember the TV ad from the early 60s? You'll find yourself wincing at the last line

"Brylcreem - a little dab'll do ya
    Brylcreem - you'll look so debonair!
    Brylcreem - the gals'll all pursue ya
    They'll love to run their fingers through your hair".

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    Better check the sell by date first.
    Thanks Baz....... July 1952 !! Do you think they will still be ok to use???

C3.....

Didnt realise that there was a dragon problem in Caithness better go get some crystals and get it sorted ;-)

just trying to make people aware of what we put on our bodies daily, do I get the feeling that men dont take toiletries very seriously .... and here was me thinking that a whole generation of farmers could have hands as soft as silk ....sigh .....

K
    There will be a "dragon problem" in Thurso if Webster gets his way!! See his thread "Fountain Design for Thurso"

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie 3 View Post
    Thanks Baz....... July 1952 !! Do you think they will still be ok to use???

C3.....
    Should be ok. Ive got a pair of trainers older than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    Just another name for water (H20)
    Yep, of course, hence the face/palm. It seems my scaremongering attempt isn't quite as polished as the OP's. Ah well.

Yep, of course, hence the face/palm. It seems my scaremongering attempt isn't quite as polished as the OP's. Ah well.
    I am not scaremongering, I am stating facts that can be found on various places on the internet and in the press. The intent is not to scaremonger but make people more aware of what is in the products we are sold . A lot of advertising sucks us in , labelling such as "contains natural oils" is VERY misleading, many people buy products that state this thinking they are better for them , when they are not really, they still contain all the nasties but the company has added some oil in as well!

Like I said in my original post, consumers can only exercise a choice when they realise they have a choice ...... THe manufacturers are very able to make the same product without the SLS and parabens in them and many are now starting to do this. This involves another stage in the process and of course costs money hence the reluctance to do this from the manufacturers. Its only by more information being available to the buying public and them exercising their choice that more companies will follow suit and produce products that are SLS and paraben free hence less dangerous to health.

K

My bathroom cabinet has toothbrushes, toothpaste, interdental brushes, germolene, hairbrush and assorted hair accessories... I'm hoping none of them are dangerous, although I wouldn't eat the germolene.

FOOTNOTE: I wouldn't eat any of the others, either !!!
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

I am not scaremongering, I am stating facts that can be found on various places on the internet /
    I refer the honourable gentlewoman to my previously posted DHMO link. It also contains facts that are freely available on the internet.

A lot of advertising sucks us in /
    Speak for yourself, m'dear. How very dare you to class everyone else as a vacuous pea-brain like yourself.

And tell me this: If these SLS/Parabens are so dangerous to our health, why have they not been banned?

A 2005 safety assessment of parabens concluded that cosmetics containing parabens do not, on the basis of currently available evidence, pose a health risk; because of the low doses involved and the low probability that parabens will penetrate into the tissue, remain intact, and accumulate there.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben
    As I said, this thread is no more than scaremongering.

Speak for yourself, m'dear. How very dare you to class everyone else as a vacuous pea-brain like yourself.

And tell me this: If these SLS/Parabens are so dangerous to our health, why have they not been banned?
    You calling someone a "vacuous pea-brain"
    The phrase containing the words "Pot, Kettle & Black" springs to mind
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Tilting at windmills! This thread is beginning to sound like the Daily Mail. "Toothpaste causes cancer! Hand cream makes you flatulent! Earbuds cause brain tumours! There are over 200 poisons in EVERY bathroom cabinet".

(Michael Caine voice) "Do you you that over 4 people a year are killed by bathroom cabinets falling on their heads?

Not many people know that......"

Personally I agree with onecalledk, I think the products we use can have a massive effect on our health, hence I choose only to buy products that don't contain SLS or parabens and have done so for some time. Regardless of the science behind it, its a matter of opinion. If you think its scaremongering, then feel free to continue using them. Simple as that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast