Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobile phones and driving

Default mobile phones and driving

i see drivers are still using their hand held mobiles when driving despite the law banning this practice. Very frightening on the Inverness road to see a big lorry coming round the bend with one hand on the phone and one on the steering wheel - very dangerous. I am surprised there has not been a serious accident YET.
    Also I get very annoyed to see people using their mobile phones in the hospital canteen, especially when staff are doing it. What do others think?

Hospitals have issued Doctors with Bleepers for years and they work the same way as Mobiles.

It's even been pointed out at the BMA Conference that Mobiles are not the problem they are made out to be.

Has anybody seen any specific figures as to what range they are suppose to cause a problem over and to exactally what equipment and how?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

tides of pentland firth Guest

I saw a woman twice the otherday, in the morning, then again in the afternoon. Both times driving while talking on the phone. Outrageous.

i guess it is like every other rule or law it has to be broken and there are plenty of people willing to do it.

You're just jealous because the
    voices are talking to me and not you!

Spotted a young girl driving round the town with a mobile phone perched on the steering wheel and from the lenth of time and what I observed she must of been typing a text message This must take a lot more concentration than just talking on the phone which is bad enough..... Again a policeman on the beat walking the town would discourage this type of thing.

What's the difference between talking to a mobile and talking to a passenger?

Beats me how they manage to drive and use a mobile, I cant drive and can only just manage to use a mobile..

Default driving and mobile phones

To Jaws - the difference between talking to a passenger and talking on a mobile is that you can talk to a passenger without taking your eyes off the road and your hands off the wheel, whereas on a mobile phone you have only one hand on the steering wheel and lose concentration and dont look on the road when switching on and switching off while holding the mobile phone - unless you use the headphone system.

Does nobody blow their noses these days or scratch their ear or look for anything in the car or change gear or switch on the radio or change stations on the radio or put heir lights on or turn the heater up or put the blower on or put the wipers on or look at the scenery or ever get distracted by something in a field or a shop or take their hands off the wheel for any reason?

Do drivers never point anything out to their passenger and never look towards them when they are driving? I could have sworn I have seen that happen but perhaps I was just dreaming, not that I often drive in my sleep.

Drivers are distracted by a phone but are not distracted by their car radio or distracted by their passengers spellbinding conversation? Do drivers never get distracted or take their eyes off the road because they are wondering just what the problem is with their children on the back seat. Perhaps children have all become little angels and never pester when they are in a car.

How many people never drive even a short distance with their hand on the gear lever or their elbow on the door ledge and only one hand on the steering wheel?

And why is it that having only one hand on the steering wheel has suddenly become ‘dangerous’ when it has not been so since the first motor vehicle with a steering wheel was invented?

I know that hand-signals have been removed from the Driving Test but when they were an obligatory part of it nobody suggested that flapping your arm about outside the drivers door window with only one hand on the steering wheel and carrying out a manoeuvre at the same time was a dangerous practice, the law required that it was done.

I find it strange that nobody ever seems to use a mobile when they are driving, but just see everybody else doing it. I hope they are all walking when they see this happen and not driving themselves because if they are they should be watching the road and not peering into other vehicles!

Now what was it that I heard about sin and doing something with stones?

Well JAWS, I'm sure that if you actually admitted any of those things to the arresting officer, you'd be getting a hefty fine and losing you license for dangerous driving.

The use of mobile phones is easily proven so it is easy to make it illegal.

If you have to look at the stem to put on your wipers then you should not be driving. If you can remember hand signals you probably shouldnt be driving anyway. Do you wear a flat cap?
    .::Zael::.

"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code."

Hate to disagree with you JAWS as never have before but in the days of hand signals cars didn't drive nearly so fast and that's why there are all these new rules about what you can and can't do - like eating. That's not allowed any more when driving. All the other things you mention - if you can't do them without taking your eyes off the road, then you shouldn't and you should make sure you know where all the necessary switches etc. are without looking. Of course we're talking about an ideal world here but with the speeds people drive around these days you really do need full concentration, 'specially on the Murkle road with all those maniacs driving at 100 mph.

What beats me is how all those people on TV get away with talking on camera while they're driving - often looking sideways. That's worse than mobile phones so why isn't it illegal? Unless of course it's all faked and they're not really moving.

Its easy to be pious. The thing we need to do is remember that we are all guilty of behaviour that doesnt make sense and we are also all guilty of thinking we are safer than we are. Talking to a passenger, shouting at the kids - particularly - fiddling with the radio to change it or put a tape or CD in it is dangerous, I once put a car through a wall follwing a lapse in concentration when reaching for a sweetie!!! fortunately we were all ok - stupid thing to do but familiarity breeds contempt and we are all just a little too complacent about our cars and our driving. UNder normal, not to busy circumstances then chatting and eating and even copping a drink out of a can is not a dangerous thing to do. Add to it a lapse in concentration and catastrophe can happen. Recognise the piotential for that in yourself and driving habiits will change - point the finger and you are just likely to irritate people and sound smug and self righteous.

Zael, has anybody produced and figures for accidents caused by the use of Mobile phones and if so where can I find them? And I mean figures, not "inspired guesswork".

You might not have to look for the wipers but are both hands firmly on the steering wheel when you switch things on or changing gear?
    So what's dangerous about changing gear?

And I hate to say this but the Traffic Police love people who never take their eyes off the road in front of them because they rarely check their speed (the speedometre is inside the car), they fail to check their rear view mirror (also inside the car or outside the side windows and incidentally an immediate "Fail" in the driving test) so they invariably fail to see the police car following them and checking their excess speed until the flashing blue light wakes them up! It's they that they usually ask the dead giveaway question "Yes officer, what have I done wrong?"
    They are usualy to polite to answer with the full truth that you were:-
    1. Exceeding the speed limit.
    2. Failing to make use of your rear view mirrors
    3. Driving without paying due care and attention to the traffic and other road users around you,
    and most of all
    4. Stupid enough to do all that without seeing me following you for the distance that I was able to, despite my vehicle being painted in bright reflective colours and, even more of a give away, having "Police" plastered all over it in very big letters!

What is going on around you and on your instrument panel is often as important in allerting you to danger as what is going on through your front windscreen.

Yes I can remember Hand signals and Yes I wear a Flat Cap, a habit I got into when I was working because the other headgear was not practical in a car!
    And, before the question is asked, yes I do wear spectacles so I am not driving with defective, uncorrected vision.

Badger, seeing you seem to know about the speed of cars of present and by-gone days, 1. How long has there been a national maximum speed limit. (Approximate will do)
    2. Why was it implemented?
    3. Why were those particular speeds chosen? and
    4. Why was the highest speed, 70 MPH, deemed to be safe?
    It would be interesting for everybody to be enlightened so they are aware of the reasons why exceeding those national maximum speeds is dangerous. (By National I mean the maximum permissible speeds outside built up areas where no other speed restrictions apply)

The TV people do nothing more than most people talking to a passenger. And how many TV people have you heard of being involved in serious accidents whilst recording?

How did the Emergency Services communicate before "Hands Free" became available? Where they involved in more accidents before the change?

I am not afraid to admit to anybody that I am no better and no worse than any average driver when it comes to doing "silly" things. Yes I do make mistakes, yes I do occasionally lack concentration, yes I do sometimes miss seeing things I should see and many other things from time to time.

Now who is going to confess that they are a perfect driver and have never, and I mean never, ever done any of the above.

Now as I was asking earlier, what was that saying about Sin and Stones?
    Will the first person who wishes to confess to being Perfect please stand up and cast the first one!

Zael, you really must lose this age complex you seem to suffer from it really is such a shame in one so young and inexperienced in life.
    Mind you, it might just wear off given enough time.

A flat cap, i knew it, my wee sis will be laughing so hard at this.

You show quite eloquently that you do not have the first clue what you are talking about once again. Why is it that you feel that people should be allowed by law to do something which most people consider to be reckless and dangerous. You seem to think that now that you are old enough to wear a flat cap that you should be allowed to do whatever you please, no matter what other people may think of it or what the outcome might be. You must also be in a really humpy mood now if you cant even remember to put all yer nonsense into one post :) Did no one reply to the thread quick enough for you? Awww poor JAWS, better let you get off wi yer flat cap and mobile to bring havoc to the roads.

Never mind phones, I say we ban drivers with flat caps as they're worse than caravans...
    .::Zael::.

"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code."

A queek question till all ye "Drivers" so called.....and mobile phone users?.......before the age of mobile telephones how did you communicate whilst driving?????

Golach
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I read a research report recently. It said that some hands-free kits increase the risk of brain or aural cancer. They claimed that there was a higher intensity of microwaves around the ear. Don't know how this was supposed to happen though. Something to do with the kit acting as a waveguide or something. Whatever that is.

Maybe its better to drive and phone with a flat cap after all!. Only kidding, you should stop and phone.

Zael, all I have done is ask for "Facts and Figures" and not the "Politico Speak" of "most people consider". At one time "most people considered£ that the Earth was the centre of the Universe, perhaps because of that you consider that it must have been fact and somehow it was people's changing concepts which altered the facts.

All you have demonstrated by that assertion is a prejudice, not a fact.

Oh yes, the flat cap and age. Read carefully and you will find that I said the habit of wearing a flat cap was as a result of work and was long lasting. Age and driving ability has nothing to do with headgear unless you consider people over the age of 16 to be old and senile. Once again you show not knowledge but prejudice.

At no stage have I said that using mobile phones whilst driving was either safe or unsafe, all I have done is asked for factual reasons why people are so convinced that it is unsafe.

All you have done Zael, is show that some peoples views on the subject are formed more by prejudice than they are by reality.

All I have heard is the assumption that "everybody knows it must be dangerous", presumably because it is "new" and has not previously been a common sight.

All I am asking is for a reasonable explanation backed up by some facts as to why "Different" should be redefined as "Dangerous".

I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions Badger. And I would be extremely interested to hear how you know the drivers on the Murkle Road were doing 100 MPH.
    What method did you use? Radar? Vascar? Following for at least one third of a mile at an equal distance behind the offending vehicle using a Calibrated Speedometer? By Stop Watch over a given measured distance? Or were you using the tried and tested method of precise guesswork?
    And with regards to the speed of modern cars compared with the slow old bangers of yesteryear certain cars were known to travel well within the speed limit on the M1 Motorway at speeds in excess of 175 MPH. I take it you have a modern car which is faster. If so please let me know the make and model as I would like to show my appreciation of such a fine vehicle.

Zael, I have taken what you have said on board and my driving has improved considerably. I have now disposed of my flat-cap and started to wear a base-ball cap. When I want to really impress people with my driving skills I turn the Base-ball cap round the wrong way and turn the volume on my Radio right up to the top!
    I think that's what's known as a Mobile Disco isn't it?
    Does that make me a better driver than Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark, Roger Clark? Sorry, Jackie Stewart wore a Tartan Bonnet didn't he so I don't know if that counts.
    A doddering old 40 year old also wore flat caps, his name was Juan Manuel Fangio. He won his first F1 Grand Prix at 39 and carried on winning into he was almost 50. And if you think the current set of Boy Racers are better then think again.
    He won 48% of his Grand Prixs. Michael the Wonder Boy can only manage 39% and at his age Fangio had not even started.

Oops - sorry I didn't get back sooner Ja ws. Afraid I don't get onto the message board as often as I should but I certainly didn't expect such an avalanche. Also I don't know the answers to any of your questions but am sure I could find out if you really want to know. As for speeds on the Murkle road, you only have to read the Groat every week unless of course you don't believe the police reports. Must admit I was passed there by a car a few days ago which took my breath away - I was in the normal bit so driving at 60 and this car went past so quickly it was over the hill and away before I could blink. Silly really as it would have had to slow down at Castletown (at least I hope so).

I do all sorts of things that strictly speaking one shouldn't but presumably so does everyone (I've seen police driving while talking on a handheld mobile since the ban). Must admit that's not something I do but have been known to grab a sandwich from the seat beside me and that's not legal.

You can't assume everyone is going to behave responsibly behind the wheel and that's why they have to make laws. I don't happen to think that 70 is sensible on a motorway when it should be safe to drive at 90 but I can remember when there weren't any motorways It's all relative and obviously cars these days can drive much faster. There are still older people driving who didn't have to take a test because it wasn't considered necessary when they started driving . Although I'm not so old I remember it, the first cars were considered exceedingly dangerous at 5 mph and had someone walking in front with a red flag.

Point of all that is, with everyday cars able to drive at 100 mph +, drivers need to be both skilful and responsible - modern cars are lethal weapons. If all the people killed on the roads in one year died in a single incident it would be world news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast