Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop Dole Money

Default Stop Dole Money

Imagine if the dole was stopped, ie nothing no money for people "fit for work" think through what would happen. Doubtless doctors surgeries would be in undated by people seeking to be signed off work ie recieve sickness related benefits so that they can live choking up the medical system, the rest, how would they live...try and gain a days work here and there..what if work is scarcley available...a rise in crime ( people have to eat etc ) a need then for a refuge of the last resort..the work house !!!! Where can you realistically draw the line in "enabling people back to work" ?

In some parts of the world, you have to earn your dole money doing public works - Clearing litter, picking up dog dirt, cutting grass, cleaning off graffiti, that sort of thing. If you don't turn up for the work, you don't get the dole money. Folk with disabilities have to do work within the scope of their abilities. I understand that in places that have this policy, long term unemployment is very low.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    In some parts of the world, you have to earn your dole money doing public works - Clearing litter, picking up dog dirt, cutting grass, cleaning off graffiti, that sort of thing. If you don't turn up for the work, you don't get the dole money. Folk with disabilities have to do work within the scope of their abilities. I understand that in places that have this policy, long term unemployment is very low.
    I would imagine it would be either work for welfare or want, cant see many people suffering want, hence no option left for them, this is a sorta half way house from stopping all dole payments but raises issues as regards displacing paid work though, ie the people doing these jobs already would have to be sacked to create make work schemes.

From the complaints on here, there appears to be insufficient folk in Caithness picking up dog dirt, so getting some folk to do it would not appear to be displacing paid workers.

Theres probably no end of things that don't get done at the moment, that could get done if some folk were earning their dole money.

And if it works in other places, without displacing paid workers, then thats a good enough precedent to suggest it might work in this country.

So are you against the people on dole then ? I personally think they should be allowed to do it, if they want to live a bleak, sad and miserable existance with nothing worth living for then its there loss at the end of it. Others who are fortunate enough to work can at least look back and say they made some effort and are happy with the outcome of their own lives, its their loss, most people i seem to see are on the doll

Quote Originally Posted by Kupkake View Post
    most people i seem to see are on the doll
    Would that be one of those rubber blow up Doll's???

C3....

It would be different if people on the dole had a bleak sad and miserable existence, but the ones I see are quite comfortable. And, yes, I have personally starved at one point. I get sick of the whining about work not paying enough- so get more than one job. If it only pays 5 bucks an hour that's still more than you had an hour ago. Work is like money, it multiplies- if a person is out there working their butt off with a good attitude they will find more work coming their way.

I'm all for stopping it too or putting a time limit on how long you get it for also for the amount of so called carers allowances that some families are all claiming for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupkake View Post
    So are you against the people on dole then ?
    Not as a short term solution for folk between jobs. Yes as a career choice.

Quote Originally Posted by canadagirl View Post
    the ones I see are quite comfortable.
    I totally agree! I signed on for about six months between qualifications and found it utterly soul destroying but a lot of the people I met there seemed to be quite happen to turn up once a fortnight and get paid for it. I know in the current economic climate it is tough getting jobs but if you are willing to go for things then better things are just over the horizon. Most of (and I know not all) the people who claim jobseekers' allowance don't bother seeking out jobs.
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

In the 1930's and 1940's - before the NHS was set up, if you were forced through ill health or misfortune to be out of work, you didn't get a penny from the state if you had any savings at all. Doctors bills had to come out of what little money you had.I was frequenty told by my mother what it was like to be living in such poverty- and how it instilled in people the need to save against hard times, and never to waste money. The 'never had it so good' comment by Supermac in the 1960's was based on that hard fact.
    perhaps what the people on this thread need to consider is that the benefits system was never actually intended to support a lavish lifestyle- only to support people in genuine need.
    Bagpuss

I agree with Orkneycadian , bring in workfare ,it would get people used to getting out of bed and give them a purpose ,if they didnt like litter picking im sure they d find a "proper job" it would also stop them working in the "black economy" .
    Thanks to the last government it is now a carrer option to not work - they get there dole money (spends) and get there rent paid etc and now we dont have enough social housing most are in normal buy to let houses .
    Labour last week were moaning that becouse of the present govt capping the amount that they will now pay in housing benefit this would force hundreds of thousands of unemployed , immigrants , muslims and single parents out of London as they would no longer be able to afford to live there !!!! THE BLOODY WORKERS WERE PRICED OUT YEARS AGO !!!!! its only the millionaires and benefit claimants can afford it .
    Watched a documentary about Euston fire station about 5 years ago and 22 out of 23 staff on one watch lived well outside London - Wales,Newcastle etc , cos they do 4 on 4 off they commute in and sleep in the firestation cos they cant afford to live there .
    One last thing - they should stop using the " unemployed " figure and use the one " economicaly inactive" which stands at about 5 million ,its the proper measure of this problem .
    www.theweecardshop.co.uk

Agreed, bring in a work for your dole scheme. There is heaps of stuff that could be done, like cleaning the beach, fixing the garden of old people etc. I think sometimes just getting into the habit of getting up every morning and doing something would help society more than the actual work itself

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    Agreed, bring in a work for your dole scheme. There is heaps of stuff that could be done, like cleaning the beach, fixing the garden of old people etc. I think sometimes just getting into the habit of getting up every morning and doing something would help society more than the actual work itself
    Disagree with you here weezer, thats why the courts dish out community service sentences, but I would put them in Hi-Vis tops with CRIM on the back and a striped boiler suit.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I'm all for stopping it too or putting a time limit on how long you get it for also for the amount of so called carers allowances that some families are all claiming for each other.
    Yep getting carers allowance is great its so easy,not!! Many people like myself spend 24/7 looking after a disabled person and belive me it would be easier to go to work at least you get holidays then!!

Quote Originally Posted by chaz View Post
    Yep getting carers allowance is great its so easy,not!! Many people like myself spend 24/7 looking after a disabled person and belive me it would be easier to go to work at least you get holidays then!!
    I totally agree with you - carers' allowance is a very important thing. When round the clock care has to be given, people should be paid for it. Look at it this way... Carers don't get anything like home help per hour, yet they do the same job lovingly. There is nothing cushy about being a full time carer.
    "Music is Forever" Paul Simon
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels" Thomas Carlyle
    www.music-monster.co.uk

Totally agree ive been a carer for years in the community and its hard work i feel it for familys who have to look after there relatives who are disabled or very sick they deserve every penny they get they give up most of their social life to give the love and care of their loved ones then you get other people that cant be bothered getting up of their backsides and get it given to them make them work for their jobseekers allowance .

A work for dole scheme would ensure that fly guys, working and signing, would be forced into legit work so head count would fall. Again as previously stated hard core dolers would flood into surgeries to get signed off and convert benefits. The work would have to be properly planned and managed and applied equally to all...how would this be done given human nature and tendency's for favouritism ? ie everyone must be treated equally one works they all work..somehow cant see it in practise !

Quote Originally Posted by chaz View Post
    I'm sure that's true but you obviously don't have the right surname then cause I know several in Wick, families all on the dole, all claiming to be looking after each other's ailments. That's what spoils it for real claimants.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Carers allowance is an absolute pitance, especially when compred to what the care of that person would cost if not cared for by family. Carers are the largest money savers of social care.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast