Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We reap what we sow, a seven year old granted a licence to own a shotgun in UK

Default We reap what we sow, a seven year old granted a licence to own a shotgun in UK

I suppose like most people I am horrified when I see pictures of young children, usually in war torn countries, holding real guns and rifles.
    Imagine my surprise then when I read that in the UK that children as young as seven have been issued with a shotgun licences.
    It emerges that between 2008 and 2010, 7,071 licences were issued to children under the age of 18, including 10 licenses to 9 year olds, two to eight year olds and Gloucester Police issued one to a 7 (yes seven) year old.
    A spokesman for a gun lobby group said that “age was irrelevant" as the decision on granting a licence was made by a very experienced police officer who would visit the family involved.
    Strange then that last year, the Association of Chief Police Officers proposed that under-10s should be banned from not only being licensed, but also that they should not be using shotguns in any situation
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

I knew it, I just knew it! Eating my toasty eggys this morning I thought "I bet I know someone who'll bring this up on Caithness .org"!

Bang on cue, Anfs!

Seriously though, is the issuing of shotgun certificates to juveniles linked to some sort of crime? If not, then it isn't a problem IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Ego View Post
    Seriously though, is the issuing of shotgun certificates to juveniles linked to some sort of crime? If not, then it isn't a problem IMO.
    I am sure that "Statto" from Strathy will have all relevant clippings showing links to teenage gun crime, but do think that is both morally and socially acceptable to have young children, for that is what they are, to be exposed to firearms?
    By encouraging the use of firearms by youngsters are we not sending out a signal saying "Yes it is OK to use guns" .
    If that culture develops, then God knows what future society is going to be like.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

Maybe!!!!! the child has shown to be good at clay pigeon shooting and is hoping when older to shoot for Britain. It is a sport and not at all barbaric or harmful to anyone. typical every mention of gun and the anti gun lobby start.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    By encouraging the use of firearms by youngsters are we not sending out a signal saying "Yes it is OK to use guns" .

But it is OK to use guns.

And by being licensed, they understand the need for control and that not just anyone can participate whenever they feel like it. Regulation is a good thing, Anfield.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirdon View Post
    Maybe!!!!! the child has shown to be good at clay pigeon shooting and is hoping when older to shoot for Britain. It is a sport and not at all barbaric or harmful to anyone. typical every mention of gun and the anti gun lobby start.
    Not at all.
    If a person wants to take part in clay pigeon shooting, why do they have to keep guns at home? Why cant guns be left at shoot, or better still signed in and out of a Police station.
    Last week in local papers there was a case of a woman who was prosecuted for having 3 rifles/shotguns lying around her house. Her excuse for not having weapons in gun safe? she was decorating!

More rubbish the 7 year old will not be allowed to actually have use of the shotgun without adult supervision, Anfield I rarely read your posts as IMO your a few sausages short of a BBQ .....
    “A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post

But it is OK to use guns.

And by being licensed, they understand the need for control and that not just anyone can participate whenever they feel like it. Regulation is a good thing, Anfield.
    So you think that seven year olds do everything they are told?
    Regulation is only good when it works.
    Hungerford, Dunblane, Cumbria + hundred more killed in gun related incidents prove otherwise

So you think that seven year olds do everything they are told?
    Regulation is only good when it works.
    Hungerford, Dunblane, Cumbria + hundred more killed in gun related incidents prove otherwise
    Wait! Wait! Stop the lily-liberal bleeding-heart reactionary Daily-Mail-reader outrage bus. Anfield wants to get on.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

i was brought up with guns we learnt to respect them they were not locked up many years ago in later years the ruling come in to have them in a locked cabinet but as kids we knew not to touch them without my dad god help us if we did . i not grown up to be a gun wilding nutcase more gun crime is caused by un licenced gun handlers and any one time a person could just snap and kill someone wether it with guns or not i know a gun can kill a lot more people but as i said most gun crimes are by thugs that buy the guns of the black market let not paint everyone the same colour most people with guns ebjoy ther sport and treat guns with respect

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    i was brought up with guns we learnt to respect them they were not locked up many years ago in later years the ruling come in to have them in a locked cabinet but as kids we knew not to touch them without my dad god help us if we did . i not grown up to be a gun wilding nutcase more gun crime is caused by un licenced gun handlers and any one time a person could just snap and kill someone wether it with guns or not i know a gun can kill a lot more people but as i said most gun crimes are by thugs that buy the guns of the black market let not paint everyone the same colour most people with guns ebjoy ther sport and treat guns with respect
    I support what starfish has posted here. I believe in gun registration and along with that lessons on how to handle guns properly such as this. I personally believe that the Japanese did not attack our West Coast of the USA during WW2 primarily because they knew we had an armed population.

I suppose like most people I am horrified when I see pictures of young children, usually in war torn countries, holding real guns and rifles.
    Imagine my surprise then when I read that in the UK that children as young as seven have been issued with a shotgun licences.
    It emerges that between 2008 and 2010, 7,071 licences were issued to children under the age of 18, including 10 licenses to 9 year olds, two to eight year olds and Gloucester Police issued one to a 7 (yes seven) year old.
    A spokesman for a gun lobby group said that “age was irrelevant" as the decision on granting a licence was made by a very experienced police officer who would visit the family involved.
    Strange then that last year, the Association of Chief Police Officers proposed that under-10s should be banned from not only being licensed, but also that they should not be using shotguns in any situation
    Oh come on Anfield, how on earth are they going to kill the foxes?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I am sure that "Statto" from Strathy will have all relevant clippings showing links to teenage gun crime, but do think that is both morally and socially acceptable to have young children, for that is what they are, to be exposed to firearms?
    If that culture develops, then God knows what future society is going to be like.
    Statto? had to check my newspaper cuttings for that one.. something to do with football or something - can't stand the stupid game (let's face it if someone from Bettyhill had billions, they could buy all the best players in the world and Bettyhill would be world champions - it's all so silly).. anyway..

What's tup lad, don't trust Coppers?, they check 'em out you know - they don't just issue licences willy-nilly, and the youngsters today who are taught responsible control, will make them a better and more cosmopolitan citizen - our best Shooters in the Olympic squad started at a very young age..
    Me? I trust the decision making of the senior Police Officer in these cases..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Strange then that last year, the Association of Chief Police Officers proposed that under-10s should be banned from not only being licensed, but also that they should not be using shotguns in any situation[/QUOTE]

I grew up in a house with shotguns and rifles, my grandfather being a Game Keeper. He taught me to shoot at a young age and never thought to touch the guns unless he was with me.
    Perhaps things have changed thus the Police Mgmt wanting some restrictions on Weapons to a specific age. So perhaps those who are concerned about children having guns should lobby their Members of Parliament in support of said Polis. They only enforce the Laws as they are......and administer them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    I support what starfish has posted here. I believe in gun registration and along with that lessons on how to handle guns properly such as this. I personally believe that the Japanese did not attack our West Coast of the USA during WW2 primarily because they knew we had an armed population.

Are you sure? Im fairly certain there was some other small factors like the monumental size of the pacific and the infrastructure needed to move men and machine across it, whilst keeping them as a fighting force. Japan has a series of islands leading to it, america's west coast does not, hence the US had to island hop.

And if you think the mad men that fought to death against enourmous odds on Iwo jima would be scared of Ma' carter and her 12 bore then you got another thing coming im afraid.

Anyway, to the original point. Im actually a bit for guns to be honest. The licensing of them should be tightly controlled, but I have nothing against someone keeping a gun in their own home and using it for self defence. In this instance defence obviously isnt an issue, but if they are shotting for sport then as long as there are adequate checks in place to make sure it aint some ned running about a street then go for it

Anyway, to the original point. Im actually a bit for guns to be honest. The licensing of them should be tightly controlled, but I have nothing against someone keeping a gun in their own home and using it for self defence. In this instance defence obviously isnt an issue, but if they are shotting for sport then as long as there are adequate checks in place to make sure it aint some ned running about a street then go for it[/QUOTE]

Weezer...Self defence, self defence...No such thing. Then the 'thing' becomes an offensive weapon..Come on............

No such thing as self defence? You cant be serious. Imagine some girl, 17yo living on her own. 3 guys break in and are gonna rape her. She has no chance. But.......if she has a shotgun and the full weight of the law behind her using it then it fair evens things up.

If you want to go down that road, ban knives, razor blades, hammers, big potatoes even. All be used to kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by weezer 316 View Post
    No such thing as self defence? You cant be serious. Imagine some girl, 17yo living on her own. 3 guys break in and are gonna rape her. She has no chance. But.......if she has a shotgun and the full weight of the law behind her using it then it fair evens things up.

If you want to go down that road, ban knives, razor blades, hammers, big potatoes even. All be used to kill someone.

Anything can be used as a weapon...Aye Beeg tatties!
    But Guns are a wee bit different....and your story is a bit to the extreme. I know what you are saying....but an example.....
    A man in a truck...lorry.... has a thing tha looks like a baseball bat...and it says tire checker on it. OK as long as he doesn't say it is for protection!
    And then there is the 'Bear Spray'....Good in Bear Country but at the dance...Don't think it's goint to be believed!

Hmmm, who would I rather trust in 15 years time....
    • Someone who has been brought up from an early age to respect firearms in a controlled environment and is a competent and legitimate owner / user
    • Someone who has been brought up on "shoot em up games" where the actual consequnces of "shooting" somone on screen are not understood, who has gotten pissed up, gotten hold of a gun and thinks in real life its just like in the video games where you can shoot folk, but it doesn't really matter - its only a "game"

Hmmm, no contest really.....

I dont think they are really different at all. Remember its not them that kill people, its people. Like I say, I have no issue with them at all. And making something illegal doesnt stop it being available. Far better to regulate that market and teach poeple of the dangers of firearms than outlaw them. They could apply that to the drug laws too

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast