Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shawshank Redemption

Default Shawshank Redemption

Hi All

I gave my copy of this great film to my sister months ago, and cannot believe she still has not watched it. I have told her many occasions what she is missing. Anyone else out there not seen it. Or tell her how good, or bad you think it is.

I personally love movies, so any other recommendations gratefull recieved.

Treat me gentley as a first timer.

I saw Shawshank for the first time on Film 4 a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was absolutely superb - one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I watched The Green Mile last week. It's also very good but I didn't think it was in quite the same class as Shawshank.

Quote Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
    Hi All

I gave my copy of this great film to my sister months ago, and cannot believe she still has not watched it. I have told her many occasions what she is missing. Anyone else out there not seen it. Or tell her how good, or bad you think it is.

I personally love movies, so any other recommendations gratefull recieved.

Treat me gentley as a first timer.
    Welcome to the Forum!!

I love SR, it is one of my favorite films as my missus knows only too well as I keep quoting bits out of the film allll the time!

Enough typing now as my hands hurt mostly...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Have also watched both, very enjoyable, but I have to agree with DrSzin regarding Shawshank.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Shawshank is one of my most enjoyable films that I have ever seen I class it along with Schindlers List and Green Mile
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

It's in my top five faourites of all time, when your sister watches it I'm sure it will be in hers too.

oh dear oh dear.....

Shawshank this, Shawshank that........

Yeah it's ok I suppose, but is it really better than the TV Movie version of Prisoner Cell Block H??

Mostly guys responding here so that might not impress a sister.

But as a new person you wouldn't know that. These things come out in time.

You can let her know that this female really, really enjoyed it.

And welcome to our special mob.

Talking

One of my favorites to.... bought the video years ago and about worn it out, tell sister to sit down with a cuppa and enjoy
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

a good movie, well worth a watch. takes a bit of getting into but very enjoyable none the less. not seen the green mile yet so couldnt comment. although hubby says its good.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Shawshank is one of Mr Sassy's favourite films and he says I would really enjoy it if only I could get past the beginning. I've tried twice to watch it, but each time I cannot get beyond the opening scenes....I just hate violence like that. No film in the world is worth the upset I feel so I find myself escaping upstairs to play my fiddle or read a book.

One of my top five all time favourites (they change from time to time, but Shawshank is always there). Tell your sister it is one of the most uplifting tales of the unquenchable human spirit ever told.

Shawshank Redemption is in my top five movies. It's right up there with Casablanca and The Godfather. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are two brilliant actors who are absolutely believeable in the lead roles.

Funnily enough, I had to be coerced to watch Shawshank as well by my husband...but I was really glad he talked me into it. I've watched in many times since, and there's not too many movies I can say that about.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    Shawshank Redemption is in my top five movies. It's right up there with Casablanca and The Godfather. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are two brilliant actors who are absolutely believeable in the lead roles.

Funnily enough, I had to be coerced to watch Shawshank as well by my husband...but I was really glad he talked me into it. I've watched in many times since, and there's not too many movies I can say that about.

never seen the godfather yet. it lasts for ages and they always put it on late. started watching scarface what a heap of rubbish couldnt get into it and turned it off.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

An extraordinary amount of 25-60 year old American men rate 'The Shawshank Redemption' their favourite film of all time. Something like 45%.
    It's not a surprise to me. I first saw it about seven years ago, and cried at the end - it actually has about three endings, coming one after the other.
    The following day I watched it with my Son, who was in his early twenties & we both blubbered. I have since seen it several times further. I don't cry anymore but I still love it enough to get the 'collectors dvd' The Directors comentary is less than galvanising but it's worth having simply because the film is so damn good.
    If you haven't seen it please do so, and soon.

Sassylass, please try to overcome your aversion. I love hearing the fiddle but leave it to one side for an evening and get beyond the violence, which is never grautuitous. This film is about the triumph of the human spirit, male bonding and friendship and above all it's about hope. The ending/s are wonderfully tearjerking. This movie is absolutely FANTASTIC ! Morgan Freedman sounds like God as the film progresses & I defy anyone not to be moved by the beers in a bucket, on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass View Post
    Shawshank is one of Mr Sassy's favourite films and he says I would really enjoy it if only I could get past the beginning. I've tried twice to watch it, but each time I cannot get beyond the opening scenes....I just hate violence like that. No film in the world is worth the upset I feel so I find myself escaping upstairs to play my fiddle or read a book.
    I have the ideal solution - don't watch the beginning! I missed the start of the movie because I was arguing with my father about something or other. It's a challenge to figure out what happened at the beginning, but it's a challenge worth rising to.

I too was sceptical of the hype, but I recall a few posters waxing lyrically about it on a previous Org thread, so I made a point of watching it the other week. As percy toboggan says, there are really three endings and each ending "gets you" more than its predecessor. It's hard not to cry at the last one.

It's also a very good advertisement for patience - a virtue which I most definitely do not possess.

Sounds good so I've just ordered it from Amazon, Hopefully I'll have it by Monday..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

I watched my SR tape so many times that I bust the tape, on the strength of that I bought a DVD player and SR DVD!

Happy now!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I read both books before seeing the movies, I thought that the Green Mile was a much better book, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption was only a short story abet a very good one.

I don't think it was possible to convey the Green Mile very well as a movie, it was close but not perfect, Shawshank on the other hand was perfectly suited to be a movie.

Thumbs up

Top movie watch it at least once. If you do . It will become one of your favorites..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast