Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: co-op

Angry co-op

I was in the coop today in Thurso and it was quite busy, queues at all the tills. There was a member of staff who had finished her work and was doing some shopping. When i went to the check-out i seen another member of staff that was working opening a till especially for this other member of staff. I was really mad as i had been standing in the queue for about 10 mins and she came straight up and got a till especially opened for her!

I think wether they are staff or not they should be made to wait in a queue!

This is the second time i have seen this happen and it is not fair!

Anyone else had the same experience?

did she close the till after she served the off duty worker?

could have been the off duty person was a manager and said look, yer gonna need another till open!

queue frustration is never nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah View Post
    did she close the till after she served the off duty worker?

could have been the off duty person was a manager and said look, yer gonna need another till open!

queue frustration is never nice.
    yes she closed it. The person who opened it was the manager!

oh dearie me... rage.

These places dont really do much to help themselves do they, Roll on tesco and asda. Hopefully that will give these shops the kick up the behind they need.

Thumbs up Coop better than Somerfield,

I quite like the Coop in Thurso (prefer to Somerfield) but do find it somewhat untidy looking. Also their freezer section is a disaster. There is no logic to it whatsoever. SORT IT OUT! PLEASE!

However- I do use their delivery service and the delivey guys are gems. Very helpful and they do work exceptionally hard. Well done guys!
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Default Thurso Co-op

I was in the Co-op in Thurso yesterday and the queues were quite ridiculous only three checkouts open and lots of hold ups.
    I must agree with Mccaugm about the disarray in the shop, it is so scruffy and often dirty especially the floor.

Yes roll on Tesco – I can’t wait!!

LB

can someone tell me does Tesco presently deliver to homes in Caithness?

does nobody think that when adsa and tescos come it will quite possibly be the same people that work in somerfields and the co-op that will be working in them? i do realise that this does not mean there will be lots of queues but im just thinking of previous posts about local supermarkets

Exclamation

can someone tell me does Tesco presently deliver to homes in Caithness?
    If only....the furthest they deliver to is the Tain area. They deliver to about a 30 mile radius from the nearest premises. I used to get my shopping delivered (I lived in Ross-Shire) and the staff were smashing. Friendly, helpful and polite.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

the staff in tesco will be the same as the other stores - mainly somerfield, the assistant manager of tescos has just left somerfield as have some of the supervisors - same service, different shop I fear!

as to the staff in co-op - do they perhaps have a regulation that staff must be served by management and not by someone who might be a mate?

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    the staff in tesco will be the same as the other stores - mainly somerfield, the assistant manager of tescos has just left somerfield as have some of the supervisors - same service, different shop I fear!

as to the staff in co-op - do they perhaps have a regulation that staff must be served by management and not by someone who might be a mate?
    I have a relative that works at Co-op - and apparently the only reason they can think of that management would open a till just for a staff member would be if the staff member is on a break. The breaks are only 15 minutes long, so it makes sense for management to serve their employees so they can use their break to best advantage. I suppose this makes sense from an employees' point of view - if I'm an employee and I've been working for 5 hours and need a break, and have to spend most of that break queing for a snack, then I'm going to be an unhappy staff member!

Quote Originally Posted by Naefearjustbeer View Post
    These places dont really do much to help themselves do they, Roll on tesco and asda. Hopefully that will give these shops the kick up the behind they need.
    Tesco and Asda are not that great. Asda is involved in a bitter dispute with employees (which resulted in the company being fined £800,000), and they recently held an internal enquiry after they discovered that their own staff would rather shop at other supermarkets even though they get a discount at Asda! A good employee? No.

Tesco operates a local pricing policy for petrol, so don't expect major reductions.

That said, Tesco haven't really done anything wrong, and have a product offering that is all things to all people. But in a mid size store in Caithness, I would expect anything special.

I really do expect Somerfield will decide to pull out of Caithness, leaving the Co-op, and Tesco and Asda to fight it out. And another thing - Tesco and Asda prices are generally identical.

I will be quite happy if somerfields pull out of caithness. They are the worst supermarket up here. The only good thing the thurso one has going for it is the fact it always has space in the car park unlike the very busy co-op car park.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    I have a relative that works at Co-op - and apparently the only reason they can think of that management would open a till just for a staff member would be if the staff member is on a break. The breaks are only 15 minutes long, so it makes sense for management to serve their employees so they can use their break to best advantage. I suppose this makes sense from an employees' point of view - if I'm an employee and I've been working for 5 hours and need a break, and have to spend most of that break queing for a snack, then I'm going to be an unhappy staff member!
    No she was finished her work as she was in shopping with her husband and had their basket full!

Quote Originally Posted by Big G View Post
    I was in the coop today in Thurso and it was quite busy, queues at all the tills. There was a member of staff who had finished her work and was doing some shopping. When i went to the check-out i seen another member of staff that was working opening a till especially for this other member of staff. I was really mad as i had been standing in the queue for about 10 mins and she came straight up and got a till especially opened for her!

I think wether they are staff or not they should be made to wait in a queue!

This is the second time i have seen this happen and it is not fair!

Anyone else had the same experience?
    very bad form from the coop so ignerent
    I'm not stupid just mentally challenged

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    If only....the furthest they deliver to is the Tain area. They deliver to about a 30 mile radius from the nearest premises. I used to get my shopping delivered (I lived in Ross-Shire) and the staff were smashing. Friendly, helpful and polite.
    you can bet your life they won't deliver to a 30 mile radius of Wick!! Not enough population.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    sounds plausible if this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd View Post
    you can bet your life they won't deliver to a 30 mile radius of Wick!! Not enough population.
    perhaps this can be remedied or will be in the future?

I understand there is a Farmers Market in Wick every Saturday. What is available? Is there a good selection of veggies and fruits and what have you? I've never been to it so I don't know... just wondering?

perhaps this can be remedied or will be in the future?

I understand there is a Farmers Market in Wick every Saturday. What is available? Is there a good selection of veggies and fruits and what have you? I've never been to it so I don't know... just wondering?
    There's usually a cake / biscuit stall (co, from Ullapool I think) and you can always get local eggs and honey. the times I've been (maybe once a month) there hasn't been much else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast