Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and restaurants

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kids and restaurants

I am disgusted to hear of the lack of consideration for parent(s) with kids at restaurants, and yes, I will name one - the Pentland.

If a place is open to the public, the public includes bairns, and it is shortsighted - to say the least - to expect a family to leave if the bairn is upset.

Think about it - it is even bad business in the long term.

Please share your experiences, good and bad.

Are you going to share your experience first??

I haven't often been there with children (I don't have my own) but any time I have been in with children, they are well catered for and have never experienced any problems.

Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns can eat in peace
    Dont get me wrong I have nothing against them I just dont to be bothered by them.
    Last edited by Joboco; 05-Feb-11 at 16:08.

If mini changi was 'upset' in a restraunt, I wouldn't have to be asked to leave, we would be out of there in super fast time.

Consideration works both ways.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A fishbone from the said establishment stuck in a problematic place...making the problem in the first place..not taking responcsbility of that...

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    If mini changi was 'upset' in a restraunt, I wouldn't have to be asked to leave, we would be out of there in super fast time.

I have dined with "mini changi" in restaurants in Edinburgh since he was about 4 years old, from Chinese buffets to Italian Tavernas, also Indian kerry oot set menus in my house, his manners have never let his parents down, its the way parents teach their children.
    Last edited by golach; 05-Feb-11 at 01:04.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

thats not always true.. i have to admit i have been made to feel like a horrible parent due purely to the lack of understanding. there are many children that can not help their behaviour and nothing that the parent can do about them. 90% of the time ben is fine to be out and about .. and is very well behaved but there are times he has a meltdown.. or just gets over stimulated.. causing him to make noise.. flap , jump up and down, and roll his eyes and head about.. does this bother me? no, im his mum and im use to it.. does it bother others.. oh yeah.. but i am not going to make my child be a recluse just because he has special needs.
    while there are lots of cases that parent just do not make their children behave.. not all instances are the same..
    if i hear one more time .. cant you control your child.. i may just tell the nosey busy body.. to control themselves and keep their nose out of something that has nothing to do with them.
    saying that.. i do try to plan for every eventuality .. and we always go to the family areas.. and make sure that we have something to keep him occupied.. just sometimes things cant be controlled..
    and if we are talking toddler age or young children.. then .. get over it.. children are children.. they will cry and get upset.. most parents will get up and take the child out until they calm down if its possible.
    sorry this is a sore spot with me obviously.. grrrr... cant help a little rant!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I have dined with "mini changi" in restaurants in Edinburgh since he was about 4 years old, from Chinese buffets to Italian Tavernas, also Indian kerry oot set menus in my house, his manners have never let his parents down, its the way parents teach their children.
    Oooooo - that's diving in with both feet, Golach. Make sure you have your snorkel with you!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post

Congratulations for your entirely unselfish approach. Such awareness and consideration for others is to be lauded, and perhaps should be noted by many others.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Joboco View Post
    Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns.
    Dont get me wrong I have nothing against them I just dont to be bothered by them.
    You wouldnt make much money if you owned a restaurant with that attitude?
    Look at all the travell inn with beefeaters there they have a proper area for children to play in with all the toys there to keep them occupied they make a fortune with all the familys that go there because there kids can play there and it s probably the kids that want to go there maybey caithness needs a travel in with a beefeater there maybey thats wil give the local hotels a wake up call

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    Look at all the travell inn with beefeaters there they have a proper area for children to play in with all the toys there to keep them occupied they make a fortune with all the familys that go there because there kids can play there and it s probably the kids that want to go there maybey caithness needs a travel in with a beefeater there maybey thats wil give the local hotels a wake up call
    Exactly! now your getting the idea. Keep them in the area provided. All i'm saying is, keep parents there also, so the public (who's money is as good as yours) can eat in peace if they so choose, or if they too prefer they can also be seated with the families.

maybey caithness needs a travel in with a beefeater there maybey thats wil give the local hotels a wake up call
    Yeeeeeuch. The MacDonalds experience - Exactly the same menu and method of preparation the nation wide.

I don't know how they manage to achieve the same level of blandness right across their menu, and right across the country, but I can only assume its by making the meals in a central "kitchen", airline style, freezing or chilling them, then despatching them all around the country to be re-heated in microwaves.

I take the children out regularly although usually lunchtime. As long as they have books and the likes they are usually happy. Fianna is a little frustrated just now as she is just at the feeding herself stage and she can get a wee bit frustrated. We have been out in the evenings with them and we often eat at friends. At home we regularly eat at the table so maybe that helps too.

The Central used to have a monopoly as they were the only ones catering for kids with their bouncy castle & play area. However it's so run down and grotty, and the food's gone downhill IMO, that even the kids don't ask to go there anymore. There's nowhere I know of up here offering a decent mix of reasonably priced food and somewhere for kids to play.

The Holborn have a bouncy castle every Saturday as well as a dedicated childrens play area every other day
    “A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns.
    I agree with this
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!

Personaly I think all eating establishments should have a child free zone, so that people who dont want to listen to screeming bairns can eat in peace
    Strongly disagree! should everywhere start having child free zones. Can you imagine... designated supermarkets, kid free residential areas, sectioned off beach and boating pond. The world has kids and the world knows what kids are like, we all were one. If you dont want to risk having your meal spoiled by kids then stay at home.

And ShelleyCowie, it was me that took the hot water over to the table. Dont discredit my good service

For lunchtime eating kids=££ if you can keep the kids happy the parents come back again and again and spend the same be it the summer season or the dead months of jan feb!
    Early evening its acceptable to have kids eating out as well..but later than about 6pm it seems frowned upon up here for reasons unknown if the kids are well behaved you still get dirty looks...

believe me its not great going out with kids!
    From lack of service to meals that dont appear to kids activities that are grim to down right dangerous!
    (lunchtime to early evening 5/6pm)

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    Are you going to share your experience first??

I haven't often been there with children (I don't have my own) but any time I have been in with children, they are well catered for and have never experienced any problems.
    Had no problems myself, but heard about it from another orger, and remembering what it was like to be the parent of three masell.

I offered to start the thread, and did not want to just let it lie -- thanks to the existance of the org.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast