Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Snail Mail?

Default Snail Mail?

Just recieved a letter today which was posted in Wick on 23rd December, I think even a snail could have gotten here quicker.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I received a letter on Friday 7th January which was posted in Dingwall on 26th November!

Given the reported top speed of a snail as 0.03mph, the distance travelled in 600 hours (the 25 days since the letter was posted) would be 18 miles.

Wick is 15.6 miles from Castletown. So yes, 'snail' mail would indeed have been quicker.

Edit: Of course, that suggests that the poor snail didn't stop to sleep or for Christmas or Hogmanay celebrations, unlike those lazy Royal Mail Posties!
    Last edited by Metalattakk; 17-Jan-11 at 15:48.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Given that a snail has neither the resources nor the intelect to deliver the mail my monies still on the postie.

im kind of glad to hear this in a strange kind of way!!! i posted a jacket down to england on the 30th of december and they guy still hasnt got it. it was an ebay item so he was asking for a refund! :s Hoping its just the same case and its not completely lost!

Default Christmas Card

I got a card from the post office through the door after christmas informing me that I had an item to be collected from the sorting office because the postage was not sufficiant to cover it's delivery cost.

When I collected it, it was a christmas card that had been posted without a stamp.

Appart from having to pay the postage plus a pound admin fee, we have no idea who it was off.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Mad as it seems, all mail goes down to Inverness then back up again!
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

A letter with a second class stamp posted to us from the south coast of England arrived the next day. Another, posted first class from Scrabster, took 2 weeks!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Weather to blame?? I too have had mail sent locally only to get it almost a fortnight later. Just glad I was not in a hurry for it. But I still take my hat off to the posties who have had to work in very difficult conditions. Things should ease a little now with any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Just recieved a letter today which was posted in Wick on 23rd December, I think even a snail could have gotten here quicker.
    Modern technology with email makes mail move much faster. I have seen a lot of fantastic advances during my 85 years on this mud ball called Earth. Here I am living in Tucson, Arizona leaving messages half way around the world to Caithness, Scotland where I was stationed years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    Modern technology with email makes mail move much faster. I have seen a lot of fantastic advances during my 85 years on this mud ball called Earth. Here I am living in Tucson, Arizona leaving messages half way around the world to Caithness, Scotland where I was stationed years ago.

And I for one love to hear from you. I can tell you, physically, Caithness won't have changed that much. How about Tucson, I've never been there and imagine wooden buildings with a water tower and a general store with hitching posts. What is it really like?

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    did it have the full postcode on it?

Quote Originally Posted by stekar View Post
    Mad as it seems, all mail goes down to Inverness then back up again!
    not all mail.only if it's collected after a certain time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBuscuits View Post
    not all mail.only if it's collected after a certain time.
    All mail that's not posted in the few Caithness only postboxes I thought?

not sure about thurso area but mail collected in wick before 2pm is sorted into 1st,2nd class.1st class local stays,rest goes south for sorting by machine.i'm led to believe.