Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Well Chuffed

Default Well Chuffed

About twenty years ago I bought from an auction the below print of a busy street scene pained by Louise Rayner circa 1865. It is a print of Ludlow in Shropshire where we lived for a short time and I often enjoy having another look at it because it's so busy I always seem to notice something new.

Although it is in quite a nice oak frame the back has become a bit tatty so I decided to remove the back with a view to cleaning the glass and print and replace the back with new board and retaping it.

When I removed the back I found the backing boared had another print of a painting by Lord Leighton PRA facing inwards called, "Wedded" with the copyright being Artistic Photographic Company of 63 Baker Street London.

I don't suppose both of them together would be worth anymore than my original purchase price but it was exciting finding somthing that I guess would have been put there over fifty years.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Why is he blowing his nose on her hand?
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Why is he blowing his nose on her hand?

I think it's an old courtship ritual, I remember a bit from Hamlet, "to be or snot to be"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I think it's an old courtship ritual, I remember a bit from Hamlet, "to be or snot to be"
    ...a very lucky find Kevin.

Thats brilliant! Just the kind of thing you dream of (or am I just strange?)

And such a pretty print too

Chuffed for you xx
    Indexing and Genealogical Research Services
    www.caithnessroots.com
    Artwork - http://elviratsquirrel.redbubble.com

What a lovely surprise Kevin!

Love your play on words. Very clever!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Default 63 Baker Street

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement, but I'm a bit surprised no one noticed the irony in my post.
    Quote.
    [When I removed the back I found the backing board had another print of a painting by Lord Leighton PRA facing inwards called, "Wedded" with the copyright being Artistic Photographic Company of 63 Baker Street London.]

Apart from Sherlock Holmes being at 221b Baker Street, when I googled the address on the print I came up with the below link.

BBC News - Baker Street singer Gerry Rafferty dies at age of 63

Default Spooky

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement, but I'm a bit surprised no one noticed the irony in my post.
    Quote.
    [When I removed the back I found the backing board had another print of a painting by Lord Leighton PRA facing inwards called, "Wedded" with the copyright being Artistic Photographic Company of 63 Baker Street London.]

Apart from Sherlock Holmes being at 221b Baker Street, when I googled the address on the print I came up with the below link.

BBC News - Baker Street singer Gerry Rafferty dies at age of 63

OOOOhh! Bit spooky that. What made you take the backing board off?

Back to original post.lol